Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default "Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is a hellacious 1-on-1 player" - Skip Bayless

I haven't seen much of MKG. Is this an accurate assessment?

Was MJ's 1-on-1 victory really an accomplishment of note?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

ralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: "Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is a hellacious 1-on-1 player" - Skip Bayless

Does skip follow MKG around and watching him play guys 1-on-1?

There's a difference between an iso in a game and playing someone 1 on 1
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: "Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is a hellacious 1-on-1 player" - Skip Bayless

You got a 20 year old versus one of the greatest players of all time at age 50. I would take that old man strength versus this kid unless the 20 year old is some phenom like Kobe or a Lebron.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

NBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
You got a 20 year old versus one of the greatest players of all time at age 50. I would take that old man strength versus this kid unless the 20 year old is some phenom like Kobe or a Lebron.

Wasn't he the second overall pick in the draft? He has to be pretty good.
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
BuffaloBill
Go Dawgs!

BuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBuffaloBill is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN

Isn't Michael Jordan Michael Jordan?
BuffaloBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN

MKG is a rookie hustle player right now with not much of a jumpshot, not really a recipe at the moment for a 1 on 1 playsr
brandonislegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

So what if Michael can beat MKG in 1 v 1?

Skill doesn't deteriorate as much as anyone thinks. But Michael shouldn't try to come back because playing an 82 game schedule will not be kind to his body. Even if he only plays 15 MPG.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Not a good idea to beat the boss, especially one as narcissistic as MJ.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT

MJ might be narcissistic, but he would respect a player that didn't back down for him more than he would hate to lose to a 20 yr old.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
This. Especially with a guy like MKG who would have to physically overwhelm him to beat him. Pretty sure there are bench players who could beat 50 year old MJ. Guys like Shannon Brown and Delfino being a couple off the top of my head.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

i'm a bobcats fan and i watch a lot of MKG and i can say this is definitely believable. MKG is by no means a talented 1v1 player lol. he's quick, has nice handles and can get to the rim pretty well, but if MJ gives him space and forces MKG to shoot jumpers, old MJ has a pretty good chance. MKG has NO JUMPER whatsoever. i'm not really sure how MJ scored on him though, he's a great defender. but MJ's post moves are pretty amazing so i can see him working the post and using his old man strength to overpower him
Quizno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
MJ might be narcissistic, but he would respect a player that didn't back down for him more than he would hate to lose to a 20 yr old.
Same thing I'm thinking.

I think MJ would take it as an insult if MKG took it easy on MJ. Besides, with all the trash talking that'll be involved it would get his competitive juices flowing.

I've seen clips of MKG and the dude is long, tall, athletic with handles. What the modern day Kobe/Bron fan would be raving over and use as an example as to why today's players are better. We've seen that story many times before.

"Today's players are much taller, bigger, stronger, more athletic, MJ would struggle in today's era. MKG is 6'7 with handles and can jump outta the building, he'd MURDER MJ… hahaha!!!"
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation here

The real question is can he beat Brian Scalabrine?
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
i'm a bobcats fan and i watch a lot of MKG and i can say this is definitely believable. MKG is by no means a talented 1v1 player lol. he's quick, has nice handles and can get to the rim pretty well, but if MJ gives him space and forces MKG to shoot jumpers, old MJ has a pretty good chance. MKG has NO JUMPER whatsoever. i'm not really sure how MJ scored on him though, he's a great defender. but MJ's post moves are pretty amazing so i can see him working the post and using his old man strength to overpower him

From what I've read his scouting reports always state that he's a great defender.

And you touched on something that many are overlooking.

Maybe MKG may not have the best jumper, he's still an NBA pro, I'm sure he can hit it in a one on one situation, at least enough to make MJ respect it, specially with his combination of height and athleticism. But how does MJ score on him?

it can't simply be 'old man strength'.

It simply can't be MJ backing him up in the post, and when he does, MJ more than likely doesn't have lift, MKG is tall, long and athletic something more is at play here than just simply being stronger.

What are the excuses when MJ used to beat Gerald Wallace who was an all star, who is one of the league's best defenders and at some point considered a franchise player by some?
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

1 on 1 is really suited to MJ. He probably still has the best jumper in the game, and he's really good at using it off the triple threat AND from the post.

I think there was a video of him schooling some players maybe five years back. He was just jabstepping and jabstepping and hit jumpshot after jumpshot.

On defense, MKG can't really use much of his athleticism since there's only two ways he can go, left and right. MJ doesn't have to chase him off screens. Hell he probably didn't even have to close out on his jumpshot.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: