Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this board
Default Re: Hot chick + amazing guitarist FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Everyone who plays has moments like that where they see something that discourages them.

Whenever I watch this I feel like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3JhKXJDTM#t=0m50s
That's insane...

Some dudes take shredding to the extreme though, like it's how many notes per second they can play that matters the most. Me, I like a good combo of both, my fave guitarist can shred but also have great feel.

Glen Tipton, Angus Young, Vivian Campbell, Marty Friedman, Dave Murray are among my faves.

I take comfort that guitarists like Tool's Adam Jones, while not being a hredder like those guys, are also great guitarists because of the music they create, not just solos...
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
That's insane...

Some dudes take shredding to the extreme though, like it's how many notes per second they can play that matters the most. Me, I like a good combo of both, my fave guitarist can shred but also have great feel.

Glen Tipton, Angus Young, Vivian Campbell, Marty Friedman, Dave Murray are among my faves.

I take comfort that guitarists like Tool's Adam Jones, while not being a hredder like those guys, are also great guitarists because of the music they create, not just solos...

I agree, I like a combination of technique and melody. Yngwie, Randy Rhoads, George Lynch, Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth, Gary Moore, Alex Skolnick and Tony MacAlpine are among my favorites. Actually, I'll throw in David Gilmour as well, his leads are always melodic and a memorable part of the song. Seems out of left field considering my other choices, but I love his playing.

I loved Vivian Campbell's hard-edged, aggressive playing on the first two DIO albums. He kind of lost it after that, but he was very unique with some classic riffs and monster solos in Don't Talk To Strangers and Invisible.

Glen Tipton is my favorite Priest guitarist, and I admire how he continued to work on his playing and improve. His technique was never like Yngwie, but to hear where he started and then hear the sweep-picking, tapping, even some string-skipping and solid speed metal riffs throughout Painkiller. Particularly his solo on the title track which is one of my all-time favorite solos.

Marty Friedman was a very unique shredder, he used a lot of exotic scales that most guys don't play. Chris Broderick is amazing technically, but Friedman is definitely my favorite Megadeth guitarist. Friedman's work with Jason Becker in Cacophony was also cool.

I love Maiden, and Dave Murray's legato style was always cool, though my favorite Maiden guitarist has always been Adrian Smith. I can't think of a guitar duo that complemented each other better. Never liked Janick Gers, though.

As far as Angus, I like his vibrato and sound, and really like ACDC up until the early 80's (they were still solid after that, but too repetitive) however I've never been a huge Angus Young fan. He plays what's right for ACDC, but I find him boring as a lead player to be honest. It's just too simple all the time, for me personally.

As far as Michael Angelo Batio, I actually like him. He has shown a sense of melody, and while he can be over the top, if I could do what he does, I probably would. Plus, when it comes to being over the top, he was mild compared to the lead singer of his former singer Nitro who would literally sing in a falsetto 95% of the time, throw in a few growls, hit the D above soprano C or hold a scream for as long as he possibly could. An example being http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD5rND-Nlq0#t=0m47s
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Everyone who plays has moments like that where they see something that discourages them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4MNpp44oCI
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

And I'm impressed. Bark at the Moon is one of my all-time fave guitar songs and definitely not for the faint of heart, and she did a respectable job on it.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
As far as Angus, I like his vibrato and sound, and really like ACDC up until the early 80's (they were still solid after that, but too repetitive) however I've never been a huge Angus Young fan. He plays what's right for ACDC, but I find him boring as a lead player to be honest. It's just too simple all the time, for me personally.
Bon Scott era he was a beast. The Jack, Ride On, Night Prowler, Squealer, Whole Lotta Rosie (among many others) all have fantastic leads.

Back in Black album was the peak of his lead tone though. None of those solos blow me away, but they are all just so f*cking RICH.

Anyway, I understand your critique of him, but to me that's like saying Billy Gibbons only plays what's right for ZZ Top. It may be true, but it doesn't take away from his ability IMO. When Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton think you're the cat's ass, it means you can play.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
And I'm impressed. Bark at the Moon is one of my all-time fave guitar songs and definitely not for the faint of heart, and she did a respectable job on it.

One of my favorites as well. I loved Jake E. Lee's playing in general, but that song may have his most memorable playing. I've actually always liked Jake more than Zakk Wylde and always been more impressed with him, though I liked Zakk a lot on the first 2 Ozzy albums he did.

Edit: Watching the video, and that's damn impressive. Great tone and vibrato, and he can play fast, but does it tastefully and doesn't overuse his speed.

Quote:
Bon Scott era he was a beast. The Jack, Ride On, Night Prowler, Squealer, Whole Lotta Rosie (among many others) all have fantastic leads.

Back in Black album was the peak of his lead tone though. None of those solos blow me away, but they are all just so f*cking RICH.

Anyway, I understand your critique of him, but to me that's like saying Billy Gibbons only plays what's right for ZZ Top. It may be true, but it doesn't take away from his ability IMO. When Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton think you're the cat's ass, it means you can play.

I like Billy Gibbons' playing, had to play a few songs from ZZ Top's early 80's period a few years ago, and thought the guitar parts were cool. None were difficult out of what I had to cover, but memorable enough that I felt the need to play them pretty much note for note even though myself is completely different. I do think Billy was a very unique and inventive player as well, particularly for his time.

What I meant by my Angus Young comment wasn't that I don't like any of his leads, just that he's never really stood out to me as a player and I'm not particularly excited to hear what he does when the solos come up like I am for a guy like Ritchie Blackmore, Randy Rhoads or Gary Moore.

Pretty much, I think Angus is solid, but he's one of the guys whose status as a guitar god I don't really understand. I like his leads better than Jimmy Page, though, who has more acclaim, but to me has some flat out terrible leads such as "Rock And Roll" or any number of live solos. I know I'll get crucified for that, but to me he's the most puzzling guy held up as a "guitar god."

Last edited by ShaqAttack3234 : 02-11-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #22
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
One of my favorites as well. I loved Jake E. Lee's playing in general, but that song may have his most memorable playing. I've actually always liked Jake more than Zakk Wylde and always been more impressed with him, though I liked Zakk a lot on the first 2 Ozzy albums he did.
I don't mind and respect Wylde when he plays his own stuff, but IMO the guy just bastardizes the early Ozzy stuff. I can't listen to him do Randy Rhoads songs... I just can't. The guy brutalizes them with the overuse of the pinch harmonics and his style just doesn't cut it. I couldn't possibly dislike the way he handles Rhoads any more.

Quote:
Edit: Watching the video, and that's damn impressive. Great tone and vibrato, and he can play fast, but does it tastefully and doesn't overuse his speed.
Yeah, you close your eyes and you could be listening to SRV. Kid is THAT good. He captures Vaughan's ultimate quality (IMO) that he can pack a ton of notes into a measure but each and every one of them has a specific place and feeling; not one is wasted.

Quote:
I like Billy Gibbons' playing, had to play a few songs from ZZ Top's early 80's period a few years ago, and thought the guitar parts were cool. None were difficult out of what I had to cover, but memorable enough that I felt the need to play them pretty much note for note even though myself is completely different. I do think Billy was a very unique and inventive player as well, particularly for his time.
I'm just playing devil's advocate, and I definitely feel that Billy is head and shoulders above Angus Young as a guitar player, so it's not a fair comparison; just trying to splice in some perspective. Just 'cause you play one way doesn't mean you can't be an all-time great.

Quote:
What I meant by my Angus Young comment wasn't that I don't like any of his leads, just that he's never really stood out to me as a player and I'm not particularly excited to hear what he does when the solos come up like I am for a guy like Ritchie Blackmore, Randy Rhoads or Gary Moore.
Well, if you're going to compare every one you listen to to those three, you aren't going to be impressed by very many people.

Quote:
Pretty much, I think Angus is solid, but he's one of the guys whose status as a guitar god I don't really understand. I like his leads better than Jimmy Page, though, who has more acclaim, but to me has some flat out terrible leads such as "Rock And Roll" or any number of live solos. I know I'll get crucified for that, but to me he's the most puzzling guy held up as a "guitar god."
Wow, I feel the exact same. Page is NOT a good guitar player. Songwriter/riffmaster, sure, but actually playing the damn thing? Guy is cringeworthy. This solo is absolutely f*cking atrocious, for instance; just a jumble of licks thrown together in no particular order; no semblance of phrasing whatsoever, and what he actually plays is done incredibly sloppily. Could not agree more on Jimmy Page.

As for Angus, it's as much about being part of one of the rockingest bands of all time and the riffs as it is about his actual lead playing. And for the most part I agree with you, but I just wanted to point out that he does have some solos that I definitely feel are fantastic.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 02-11-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

I love Gary Moore BTW. Acing "Still Got the Blues" for my final exam in my guitar class in university was one of my most satisfying moments as a guitarist. RIP!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I don't mind and respect Wylde when he plays his own stuff, but IMO the guy just bastardizes the early Ozzy stuff. I can't listen to him do Randy Rhoads songs... I just can't. The guy brutalizes them with the overuse of the pinch harmonics and his style just doesn't cut it. I couldn't possibly dislike the way he handles Rhoads any more.

Yeah, he goes way over the top with the pinch harmonics. I think he does some of the leads justice such as Mr. Crowley, where there isn't much room for him to throw in pinch harmonics.

But the reasons I don't like Zakk's more recent playing as much is because he seemed to get more repetitive and less tasteful with more excessive wanking than his early Ozzy years. I've seen him live several times and I remember a showed where he played an unaccompanied guitar solo for about 10 minutes.

But his tone has also gone way downhill, imo. I loved his tone in the late 80's/early 90's, but his current tone simply doesn't measure up. Much muddier, instead of his earlier tone with was plenty thick and heavy, but much crisper. Then again, I tend to prefer 70's and 80's guitar tones.

Quote:
Yeah, you close your eyes and you could be listening to SRV. Kid is THAT good. He captures Vaughan's ultimate quality (IMO) that he can pack a ton of notes into a measure but each and every one of them has a specific place and feeling; not one is wasted.

Yeah, SRV is actually who I thought of too.

Quote:
I'm just playing devil's advocate, and I definitely feel that Billy is head and shoulders above Angus Young as a guitar player, so it's not a fair comparison; just trying to splice in some perspective.

Yeah, I get the point you're making. Angus had his own sound and came up with some very memorable parts.

Quote:
Well, if you're going to compare every one you listen to to those three, you aren't going to be impressed by very many people.

Yeah, maybe set the bar too high giving an example. But even with players I don't rate quite as highly, there are quite a few guys whose solos I really look forward to hearing.

Quote:
Wow, I feel the exact same. Page is NOT a good guitar player. Songwriter/riffmaster, sure, but actually playing the damn thing? Guy is cringeworthy. This solo is absolutely f*cking atrocious, for instance; just a jumble of licks thrown together in no particular order; no semblance of phrasing whatsoever, and what he actually plays is done incredibly sloppily. Could not agree more on Jimmy Page.

I respect the music Page created too and like a lot of Zeppelin's music, but good to see you're in agreement over his actual playing. Man, that solo was painful to listen to. It actually got worse and worse the longer he went on. I can live with some sloppiness if the guitar player is actually saying something with the solo, but Page just sounds like he's fucking around drunk by himself, not in the middle of a song in front of a huge audience. And sometimes Page is just too sloppy regardless. I remember an audition about 2 years ago where I was told to learn some songs, and one of them was Rock And Roll by Zeppelin, and so I figured I'd just learn it pretty much note for note, but when it came time for the solo, it was so sloppy I literally had no idea how to go about imitating it, so I just ended up keeping some of the pull off licks and doing something else for the rest.

Quote:
As for Angus, it's as much about being part of one of the rockingest bands of all time and the riffs as it is about his actual lead playing. And for the most part I agree with you, but I just wanted to point out that he does have some solos that I definitely feel are fantastic.

Yeah, I can see that, especially since lesser players such as Kirk Hammett(sure he can play faster than Angus, but man his vibrato and wah-wah fetish are painful) and Ace Frehley get the guitar god label purely for being in hugely popular bands.

Quote:
I love Gary Moore BTW. Acing "Still Got the Blues" for my final exam in my guitar class in university was one of my most satisfying moments as a guitarist. RIP!

Yeah, very sad to hear he died. He was the complete package. One of the best guitarists and actually a damn good singer too, imo. He could play and sing both blues or metal as well as a variety of other styles he showed throughout his career.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent has a terrific reputationHeavincent has a terrific reputationHeavincent has a terrific reputationHeavincent has a terrific reputationHeavincent has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Whenever I watch this I feel like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3JhKXJDTM#t=0m50s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mntRIb0wa9A
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this board

Looks like I lost out on some nice guitar discussion here last night, some thoughts on Shaq and JohnD's comments...

Hell yeah, I also love me some Dave Gilmour, one of my all time faves too, I love Pink Floyd.
I disagree with you guys, Angus Young is a great guitarist, his lead work, especially in the Scott era and first 3 albums with Brian Johnson were absolute beasts, his leads are so bluesy and full of feeling that he ranks right up there with the GOATs, IMO.

When I consider a guitarist great, I also include the songs (riffs) and the lead guitar work. There are a lot of guitarists I admire, you guys named a few like Rhoads, Hendrix, Gibbons, SRV, Skolnick etc. Here are a few more that I love, Eddie Van Halen, Carlos Santana, Slash, Dave Mustaine (the riffs here creates are godly and not a bad soloist), Craig Goldie (loved his work in Dio's Dream Evil), Tony Iommi, John Frusciante, Kieth Richards, Adam Jones (he creates riffs out of leftfield, so creative), Dimebag Darrell RIP among others.

I consider myself a metal fan because that's what I grew with but I love all kinds of rock music, from Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, AC/DC (one of my absolute faves), Dio, GN'R, The Doors, The Who, The Beatles (maybe my all time favorites), Testament, Megadeth, Tool, RATM, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Van Halen with Dave (fakk Hagar) to U2, Mars Volta, RHCP etc.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Lets get back on track with another cute chick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30aMm...lj1Jlg&index=6
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
Lets get back on track with another cute chick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30aMm...lj1Jlg&index=6
She's all over the place on the solo...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #29
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kvJ1...e_gdata_player
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #30
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz53...e_gdata_player
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: