Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #61
Inactive
Local High School Star

Inactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Atheism vs. Theism

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
My problem with the OP is that he used ''not being a witness'' to disprove religions. So i asked him if he was able to witness the big bang because thats what he believes in...that simple. I even bolded that part to let him understand thats what i was referring to
I don't think he meant witness literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
This is true. But that is the problem. There were numerous times scientists came up with a theory and then changed it later on to something different. And might change it again sometime in the future. There is nothing set in stones.
Why is this a problem?

As we're able to measure things more accurately, and observe more, our theories get refined.

Quote:
Yes the experiences can be repeated and all that but it doesnt mean that just because they can repeat it its necessarily the cause of the creation of the universe. There might be some other causes that they have yet to discover or simply cant understand.
There are certainly a lot of things which have yet to be discovered, or understood. If there weren't, no one would want to become a scientist.

Quote:
To me its all about belief and faith
It's the opposite. Faith is all about believing in something without, or in spite of evidence. Science is all about believing whatever the best evidence tells you. There are very few things which you have to take for granted, in order to do science.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #62
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I just have another general question I've been curious about for some time now. Why do many atheists always seem so angry.

Sometimes you may be mistaking frustration over stupidity for anger.

I find many religious zealots to be idiots, and I can't believe they can't open their eyes and realize how dumb they're being.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #63
Nanners
Good college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I just have another general question I've been curious about for some time now. Why do many atheists always seem so angry.

this is a joke right? my guess this "athiest anger" that you perceive is probably due to the fact that atheists have zero morals and multiple mental defects.

if you arent kidding, maybe you can answer me this: why do so many christians always seem so angry? also why do so many muslims seem so angry? why do so many human beings in general seem angry regardless of their religion?
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #64
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
this is a joke right? my guess this "athiest anger" that you perceive is probably due to the fact that atheists have zero morals and multiple mental defects.

if you arent kidding, maybe you can answer me this: why do so many christians always seem so angry? also why do so many muslims seem so angry? why do so many human beings in general seem angry regardless of their religion?

I wasn't kidding at all. There's angry folks of any and all religions, but I think we can all agree atheists "seem" the most angry of all respectively. There's obviously no proof or backed scientific study of something such as this, just speaking in general terms.

You don't agree. That's fine. Maybe you were offended.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #65
Inactive
Local High School Star

Inactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat coolInactive is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I wasn't kidding at all. There's angry folks of any and all religions, but I think we can all agree atheists "seem" the most angry of all respectively. There's obviously no proof or backed scientific study of something such as this, just speaking in general terms.

I don't see it.

I do think there are some atheist kids who think they're being rebellious, and want to confront people with it, but in general I'd guess that atheists are, if anything, less emotionally volatile.
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #66
Nanners
Good college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

you thought wrong.

as long as we are making broad generalizations - muslims, jews and christians all seem a lot "angrier" than atheists to me.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #67
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
you thought wrong.

as long as we are making broad generalizations - muslims, jews and christians all seem a lot "angrier" than atheists to me.

How is what you bold'd from me something "you thought wrong" (meaning me being wrong) ? ... I don't see it being wrong or an inaccurate statement. You think religious people seem angrier; I feel atheists are. Atheists have the chip on their shoulder. IMO, much more than those who belong to a religious organization.

I mean come on dude, just admit so many atheists await for any and all opportunities to jump into a religious conversation (be it RL or here on the internet) and engage in a negative way. Atheists are way more quick to blast religious people with harsh insults and belittling smug remarks right from the very beginning of any such discussion.

Different people, different experiences I suppose.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #68
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
How is what you bold'd from me something "you thought wrong" (meaning me being wrong) ? ... I don't see it being wrong or an inaccurate statement. You think religious people seem angrier; I feel atheists are. Atheists have the chip on their shoulder. IMO, much more than those who belong to a religious organization.

I mean come on dude, just admit so many atheists await for any and all opportunities to jump into a religious conversation (be it RL or here on the internet) and engage in a negative way. Atheists are way more quick to blast religious people with harsh insults and belittling smug remarks right from the very beginning of any such discussion.

Different people, different experiences I suppose.

I disagree, but as I said before this isn't something we can really prove. But lets say for arguments sake it is true. What is your point?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #69
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I disagree, but as I said before this isn't something we can really prove. But lets say for arguments sake it is true. What is your point?

There is no real point. Just a personal observation.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #70
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
http://207.58.151.151/forum/showpost...stcount=85:old

cmon son. Didn't take but a few seconds
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #71
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
http://207.58.151.151/forum/showpost...stcount=85:old

cmon son. Didn't take but a few seconds

3 or 4 years ago. And as I just said. So what?

I don't even remember making that post, so I'm not sure if I am angry, frustrated or just taking the piss?

Plus it is only one instance. How long have you known me? How often have I been angry? Even if you find more posts like that, how much time do you think I am spending in that state of mind? Everyone gets angry and frustrated - it doesn't mean they always are.

Last edited by miller-time : 02-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #72
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
3 or 4 years ago. And as I just said. So what?

I don't even remember making that post, so I'm not sure if I am angry, frustrated or just taking the piss?

Plus it is only one instance. How long have you known me? How often have I been angry?
Idk what his point was, I do agree though. But I'm looking from this side of the fence
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #73
miller-time

Quote:
Idk what his point was, I do agree though. But I'm looking from this side of the fence

But I wasn't even necessarily disagreeing with him. So how is there even a fence?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #74
BuGzBuNNy

Quote:
But I wasn't even necessarily disagreeing with him. So how is there even a fence?
Quote:
you're making this way more difficult than it needs to be
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #75
miller-time

Quote:
you're making this way more difficult than it needs to be

No I saw it, which is why I prefaced disagreeing with necessarily. His conclusion is based on anecdotal evidence. He could be right but who knows?

What I'm not saying is that there are more angry Christians than atheists. Which would be a straight up dichotomous disagreement.

Last edited by miller-time : 02-16-2013 at 08:28 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: