Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #181
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Man Murders A Drunk Driver After Car Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
no, as viewed by the law and by myself multpile strikes does certainly matter...a first time offender is not viewed anywhere the same as a repeat offender by the judge

the way you are wording it all drunking driving should be the exact same punishment, even if you were lucky enough to not kill anyone...but that isn't reality.

I like the 3-strike rule, I think that drunk driving is a crime that one should get another chance on...but if it is shown it is a constant problem - prison

Yeah I said the amount of times you're caught matters for your sentence, but not from a moral point. If you do something terrible once or ten times it's still terrible.

All drunk driving should have the same base punishment, and then escalate it for each repeated offense, manslaughter, how far over the limit, etc. - It's like that now, but it should be harsher right off the bat. Increase the stigma.

I mean how many times does the average person drive drunk before they were caught? Probably a few.

Three strikes sounds fine in principal, but one do over should be enough. You should get one f*ck up if it wasn't too serious. Your own personal drunk driving is very easy to control, it's all on the individual and how much they value their life, car, privilege to drive, insurance rate, and other people.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #182
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Yeah I said the amount of times you're caught matters for your sentence, but not from a moral point. If you do something terrible once or ten times it's still terrible.

All drunk driving should have the same base punishment, and then escalate it for each repeated offense, manslaughter, how far over the limit, etc. - It's like that now, but it should be harsher right off the bat. Increase the stigma.

I mean how many times does the average person drive drunk before they were caught? Probably a few.

Three strikes sounds fine in principal, but one do over should be enough. You should get one f*ck up if it wasn't too serious. Your own personal drunk driving is very easy to control, it's all on the individual and how much they value their life, car, privilege to drive, insurance rate, and other people.

I don't know if the laws are still the same but when I lived in Germany if a cop stopped you for suspicion of drunk driving you would get a blood test on the spot (no right to refuse). It was illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to have any alcohol in their system. Over 21 the legal limit was 0.05%. If you're over the limit your car is confiscated and sold. Your license is taken for 6 mo.s and you have to pay a hefty fine and/or face jail time depending on the % of alcohol in your system. A 2nd violation involves a lengthy prison sentence and revocation of your license.

So despite a strong drinking culture, Germans generally avoid driving drunk. Of course it helps that they have a great public transportation system.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #183
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder

for many people one time IS the eye-opener

and yes some people can get away with it literally hundreds of times before caught

kids are stupid...you can tell a child a million times to "say no to drugs" but most will still say yes at some point. In fact telling them not to do something can make them want to do it more. They have to find out for themselves. And once a kid drives drunk once and gets away with they start to think they are above the norm..."oh but I am great drunk driver"...they don't learn until something bad actually happens. I knew dozens of people with this mind set when I was a youngster...eyes don't open until DUIs start getting handed out.

That's why I like the 3-strike system...I am willing to accept the fact that kids are dumb and do dumb things, esp when drunk.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #184
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

In my much younger years I had two DUIs back-to-back within a 3 year period. As a result, I automatically lost my license for 4 years, and then after the 4 years, I had to have a breathalyzer on my vehicle for 3 additional years. At the time, I thought my life was over, I thought the penalty was way too harsh, etc. Today, I think it was pretty fair, especially considering the hundreds of times I've driven drunk, I could have killed someone (thank God that never happened). Even still to this day (until Oct 11th of 2014) I have a 0.00 tolerance meaning if I get pulled and blow anything up until that date, automatic 3rd DUI offense.

Many would say that's harsh punishment. I think it's fair. Some say it isn't enough.

I've had two DUIs ... should I be locked up for life? WHAT IF I was unfortunate enough to have say my first DUI ... say it was only my 2nd time driving drunk ever, and I just happen to slam into someone, killing them.

Who deserves the more harsh punishment, the guy who's driven 100+ times drunk out of his mind or the guy who only his 2nd time got behind the wheel and slammed into said dead subject?

The laws are designed a specific way for a reason. Raw emotion shouldn't drive the law... logic should. LOL, which is why so many of you are so off on this "the drunk driver deserved it" etc bullshit.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #185
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Damn Josh...yeah if you get one more you're gone

hope that is behind you
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #186
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board

The father was a dumbass. Pull the car off to the side of the road, walk home, worry about it in the morning.

Not to mention that he ran out gas at night with his kids in the car.

Last edited by tontoz : 02-14-2013 at 03:47 PM.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #187
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Damn Josh...yeah if you get one more you're gone

hope that is behind you

Yeah all that drinking bullshit is behind me. I just have to make sure my nose doesn't have residue blue powder from the Roxy 30 I may have just crushed up minutes before.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #188
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
The father was a dumbass. Pull the car off to the side of the road, walk home, worry about it in the morning.
I wanted to say this as well but didn't because I thought I would get mobbed harder...but he was stupid

"dark rural roads" is NOT the right place to have your sons pushing your car for fcks sake...that is almost asking for a drunk driver to hit you

and he was in walking distances of his own home...just walk home and do it in the morning...in the light, where drivers can see and are sober
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #189
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputation

Breaking News: Cars can have head/tail lights on without gas being present in the car.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #190
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
Breaking News: Cars can have head/tail lights on without gas being present in the car.
still dangerous as fck though...even if he had his hazards on

I really hate even just driving down dark unlit country ass roads like that...I try to avoid it at all costs...no way I am getting out to change a tire or anything like that, much less have my kids out there with me when my home is in walking distance. Not saying he is to blame because of it, but he did put his own kids in harms way by doing that.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #191
Mach_3
Local High School Star

Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation

Quote:
still dangerous as fck though...even if he had his hazards on

I really hate even just driving down dark unlit country ass roads like that...I try to avoid it at all costs...no way I am getting out to change a tire or anything like that, much less have my kids out there with me when my home is in walking distance. Not saying he is to blame because of it, but he did put his own kids in harms way by doing that.

As someone who's lived in the south a long time this was one of my 1st questions. Why was he having his sons push his car on an unlit country road (the ones where you cant see 10 feet in front of you) Even though brake lights or whatever stay on i would never ever get out to do what he had his two sons do in the middle of the night. I wouldn't blame him for his kids death either but its almost as if he's inviting something dangerous to happen
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #192
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_3
As someone who's lived in the south a long time this was one of my 1st questions. Why was he having his sons push his car on an unlit country road (the ones where you cant see 10 feet in front of you) Even though brake lights or whatever stay on i would never ever get out to do what he had his two sons do in the middle of the night. I wouldn't blame him for his kids death either but its almost as if he's inviting something dangerous to happen
yeah, I bet his sons were blocking the tail lights too...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #193
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
yeah, I bet his sons were blocking the tail lights too...

It's terribly unfortunate no matter how we slice the pie... the drunk driver was at fault, but so was the dad mad out of his mind.

I can find sympathy for both parties, and despite what most will think, that is with or without me having a DUI to my name.

No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but texting while driving will soon pass the DUI related deaths, and ALL OF US are at least guilty of that much.

I'm not trying to compare apples and oranges here, but I recall being a much better driver, staying between the lines, etc. drunk compared to texting where I know I've looked up at the road and found myself in the opposite lane and/or to the right off the road. Can you honestly say you haven't?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #194
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

yes exactly everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect...and that goes triple for teens and young adults...as long as there is alcohol and cars there will ALWAYS be young drunks out on the road...

to all the posters in here asking "what would you have done if those were your kids pt?"...let me ask you this...what would you do if it was your son that was the driver?...would you applaud this man for shooting your son and say "my son deserved to be shot in the face" just like you are in here?...pshh, fck no you wouldn't, you'd label him a murderer (which he is)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: