Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #61
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,637
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Uh huh, so when one of the top Republicans in Dubya's administration says THIS, he's just saying it just to say it, right? He's part of the liberal media? But wait, he's half Black... that's probably why


Colin Powell is a hypocrite. He's saying his party has changed their views racially in 4 years since Bush left office. Really?? The GOP became racist overnight?? Get the hell outta here. Another buffoon glued to the Liberal tube and buying it for what it's worth. Powell was also trying to sell books.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #62
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,637
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Going around and finding a couple of people that say that is not conclusive. You could get people to say they are voting for Romney because he is a rich white man. You could get women to admit they are voting for Hillary because she is a woman.

The fact that you seriously believe black people vote for candidates because they are black is absurd and borderline racist. You're implying that black people are too ignorant to understand the world around them. You are really an ignorant piece of sh*t you know that right? It amazes me you have that many green bars because you say some really stupid sh*t.


You're putting words in my mouth with this "implying" bullshit. You said that black people did not vote for him because he was black and I just simply proved you wrong. Just like I'm sure you can find people that said they voted for McCain or Romney because he was white.

It's clowns like you that keep this "race" thing alive when you accuse and slander. Get and education, and then accept reality for what it is.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #63
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,637
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Anyways, apparently he claimed to still live in a working class neighborhood. while his house is worth 675k. Shit like that, which shows a complete detachment from the reality of america, is what bothers me.


What is the detachment, bro? Houses down there in his community are appraised at that high.

When have you seen a politician black or white, Republican or Democrat live in the slums??

You guys act like like there's some huge monetary disconnect between the Left and the Right and there frankly isn't. The rich are everywhere in both parties. Anyone that tells you they care more about the poor than the next guy is lying to you.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #64
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,034
Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Has a star ever been made from one of those rebuttal speeches? It seems like a waste of time, and if I were heading one of the national committees, I'd do away with them.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #65
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 11,688
DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Colin Powell is a hypocrite. He's saying his party has changed their views racially in 4 years since Bush left office. Really?? The GOP became racist overnight?? Get the hell outta here. Another buffoon glued to the Liberal tube and buying it for what it's worth. Powell was also trying to sell books.

Yup, the blatant racism (as pointed out by a leading Republican figure), xenophobia, and sexism of certain factions of the GOP is all a fabrication of the 'liberal media'
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #66
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,637
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Yup, the blatant racism (as pointed out by a leading Republican figure), xenophobia, and sexism of certain factions of the GOP is all a fabrication of the 'liberal media'


Blatant racism? Really? Where?? Don't be a sheep.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #67
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,205
boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
What is the detachment, bro? Houses down there in his community are appraised at that high.

When have you seen a politician black or white, Republican or Democrat live in the slums??

You guys act like like there's some huge monetary disconnect between the Left and the Right and there frankly isn't. The rich are everywhere in both parties. Anyone that tells you they care more about the poor than the next guy is lying to you.
a ****ing 2500 sq ft home with a swimming pool worth over half a million isnt part of any working class neighborhood. There is the detachment. Sure, there may be streets in his area with much cheaper homes, but his little culdesac is hardly a working class neighborhood. Of course they are all money grubbing assholes. But to go on camera and suggest you live in a working class environment is ridiculous. bro
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #68
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 11,688
DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Blatant racism? Really? Where?? Don't be a sheep.

Yeah... whatever.
“I hear you loud and clear, Barack Obama. You don’t represent the country that I grew up with. And your values is [sic] not going to save us. We’re going to take this country back for the Lord. We’re going to try to take this country back for conservatism. And we’re not going to allow minorities to run roughshod over what you people believe in!”

Jason Rapert, Arkansas State Senator, 2011

...

“Have you ever read the Quran? I suggest you do so, because anyone that is a Muslim is a threat to this country, and that’s a fact. There is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. If they are Muslim they have to follow the Quran. That’s their religion and that’s their doctrine.”

Wes Harris, founder and chairman of the Original North Phoenix Tea Party

....

“There’s no doubt that what the Republican led legislature in Florida and Governor Scott are trying to do is make sure the Republican party has an advantage in this upcoming election by reducing early voting and putting roadblocks up for potential voters, Latinos, African Americans to register and then to exercise their right to vote. There’s no doubt. I was in the room. It’s part of the strategy. The one thing now that people don’t realize is that winning elections now has become a multi-million dollar business. There are political consultants that get hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonuses if they win elections. And if they’ve got to change a few voter laws and make it more difficult for minority voters to get to the polls, well they’re going to do it. Because the Republican Party has given up on minority voters.”

Jim Greer, former Florida GOP Chairman, August 9, 2012

...

Jon Hubbard, also an Arkansas Republican, has published a book, titled Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative, in which he states the following:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

“Wouldn’t life for blacks in America today be more enjoyable and successful if they would only learn to appreciate the value of a good education?” (Page 184)

“… one of the stated purposes of school integration was to bring black students up to a level close to that of white students. But, to the great disappointment of everyone, the results of this theory worked exactly in reverse of its intended purpose, and instead of black students rising to the educational levels previously attained by white students, the white students dropped to the level of black students. To make matters worse the lack of discipline and ambition of black students soon became shared by their white classmates, and our educational system has been in a steady decline ever since.” (Page 27)

“… will it ever become possible for black people in the United States of America to firmly establish themselves as inclusive and contributing members of society within this country?” (Page 187)

..the immigration issue, both legal and illegal… will lead to planned wars or extermination. Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing.” (Page 9)

“American Christians are assuming a similar stance as did the citizens of Germany during Hitler’s rise to power.” (Page 158)

...

Loy Mauch, Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, wrote to the Democrat-Gazette in January 2009, saying:

“… If slavery were so God-awful, why didn’t Jesus or Paul condemn it, why was it in the Constitution and why wasn’t there a war before 1861?
The South has always stood by the Constitution and limited government. When one attacks the Confederate Battle Flag, he is certainly denouncing these principles of government as well as Christianity.”

http://gopquotes.wordpress.com/category/racism/

Colorado Republican Congressman calls President Obama A 'tar baby'

The common folk

More common folk

Let me know when you get the picture

More Examples

Republican- 'My party is full of racists'

I can keep going. But no, keep playing the game.


DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #69
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 26,282
InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Has a star ever been made from one of those rebuttal speeches? It seems like a waste of time, and if I were heading one of the national committees, I'd do away with them.
Mitch Daniels wasn't and never will be a star, but it definitely helped him. But only in the sense that he didn't do anything to embarrass himself and it let more than like three dozen people know who he was.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #70
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,378
KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Krugman calls out Rubio for his financial crisis myth.

Quote:
In fact, a major cause of our recent downturn was a housing crisis created by reckless government policies.
and links to this

Quote:
No, Marco Rubio, government did not cause the housing crisis

For obvious reasons, this argument is very popular on the right, but there’s precious little to back it up. The core claim can be a bit slippery, but it tends to go something like this: the existence and affordability goals of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the GSEs) and the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) were a major reason we had a subprime-driven housing bubble and then a crash. The only problem? Pretty much all the evidence on the housing crisis shows that that’s not true.

Let’s go through some things we know.
1. Private markets, rather than the GSEs, created the subprime mortgage boom.
2. The Community Reinvestment Act and the GSE’s affordability mission didn’t cause the crisis.
3. There’s a lot of research to back this up and little against it.
4. Conservatives arguments tend to blur the definition of subprime.
5. The government policy that likely made an impact were deregulatory actions.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 02-14-2013 at 12:36 AM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #71
Nanners
Decent college freshman
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 2,952
Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

I love these guys like marco rubio who start a sentence with vague and empty words like "big government is bad and stifles creativity" and in the same breath talk very specifically about how his much his own life was improved by his access to big government handouts like student grants/loans.

The amount of hypocrisy with these people is just mindbending. This guy is treated as the savior of the GOP.....I seriously doubt that the GOP can be *saved* at this point.

I also loved his comment against climate science saying that "the government cannot control the weather".

"climate" and "weather" are not the same thing. To put it in extremely simple terms for people like Rubio- "weather" is what happens over a day or a week, "climate" is what happens over the course of many years.

Last edited by Nanners : 02-14-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #72
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chitown
Posts: 5,941
TheMan is considered somewhat coolTheMan is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Marco Rubio

This Patrick Chewing character comes across as being very out of touch..."GOP isn't racist"

Last edited by TheMan : 02-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #73
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,839
longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC





He's obviously too married to the libs/Dems in Washington D.C. to admit that it was them who created the PULL for banks to lower their standards and make more and more loans. They chastised them; they even threatened them with bogus claims of racism IF they did not lower their standards. Now, granted....the banks should have just said "Get bent, we're not doing it." But one cannot gloss over the fact Barney Frank and his lover who headed up either Fannie or Freddie...and all their liberal friends who were getting rich, were using Fannie & Freddie as their own private playhouse. Until almost the very end, Frank, Maxine Waters, and Chucky Shumer denied there were ANY problems with F&F.....and yet, the American taxpayers were given the tab to bail them out to the tune of over $25 billion. And unlike the banks, that $25+ billion is money we'll NEVER see. They do NOT have to pay it back to the American taxpayers. Perhaps Krugman needs to take off his rose-colored glasses...OR put some LIFTS in his shoes or something. Because he sure is one clueless man.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,378
KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Longhorn, if you are doing more than just usual trolling, you may want to look into this issue. You either don't know what really caused the financial crisis or you are choosing to believe the convenient fable that the GOP has pushed on this issue.

The first thing you can do is follow the link I posted above and see the background to the statements I posted. The next thing you may want to do is read the report from the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission.
Quote:
He's obviously too married to the libs/Dems in Washington D.C. to admit that it was them who created the PULL for banks to lower their standards and make more and more loans.
This is incorrect. The subprime boom was not created by "banks" that took deposits and thus were not covered by the FDIC and thus subject to the Community Reinvestment Act. The subprime industry was created by mortgage companies like Ameriquest and Countrywide who received their funding not from deposits, but from Wall Street. They has loose loan standards not because of government decree, but because it was insanely profitable for them, more profitable than loaning to folks who took our prime mortgages, because subprime mortgages were loaded with hefty fees and higher interest. As housing prices went up, if someone couldn't pay their mortgage, they could refinance their mortgage which gave these companies even more profit. They also didn't care much about the credit risk because they were not holding the mortgages for long, but selling them down the chain, mostly to Wall Street which in the past decade was making giant fees packaging and reselling mortgages to investors. The reason Wall Street got so heavily into subprime was also profit. The riskiest mortgages brought the highest rate of return. There was a near insatiable demand for these mortgages on Wall Street which gave the mortgage originators incentive to make as many of them as they could.

As the housing boom continued the amount of credit-worthy people who needed a mortgage was became lower and lower (because they were already in houses) there mortgage originators began lowering lending standards because there Wall Street was still buying as much as it good. Government had nothing to do with creating the new exotic and risky mortgage products being created in 2004 and 2005.

If you don't understand how the mortgage business truly operated in 21st Century, you won't be able to understand how the bad home loans in California, Nevada, Florida and some other states took down the world economy. If you read any of the books on the financial crisis and read why the insiders did what they did, you'll find they were doing it because it was very profitable for several years and you'll find nothing about the government forcing them to make bad loans. BTW, Texas didn't have these bad loans, because those state regulations make those risky loans illegal in Texas.

If you don't understand the above, you don't understand how bad credit risks could take down Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, AIG etc. The idea that the government was forcing mortgage bankers to make bad loans against their will is simply laughable. If these companies (again not traditional banks) didn't want to make these loans, they would have done a token amount of them to get the government off their backs, not made it the central part of their business. The idea that these business made a TRILLION DOLLARS in subprime loans because they were forced to by the govenrment is fantasyland.

Quote:
But one cannot gloss over the fact Barney Frank and his lover who headed up either Fannie or Freddie...and all their liberal friends who were getting rich, were using Fannie & Freddie as their own private playhouse. Until almost the very end, Frank, Maxine Waters, and Chucky Shumer denied there were ANY problems with F&F.....and yet, the American taxpayers were given the tab to bail them out to the tune of over $25 billion.

Fannie and Freddie were victims of the popping of the housing bubble, but they didn't create the crisis. They got more into subprime as the bubble started because they were losing market share. Their lending standards were much higher that private lenders, which meant less of their loans failed. At the time the government took over Fannie and Freddie 98% of their loans were paying on time which is way, way less than the failure rate of the private subprime loans.
Quote:
Between 2004 and 2006, when subprime lending was exploding, Fannie and Freddie went from holding a high of 48 percent of the subprime loans that were sold into the secondary market to holding about 24 percent, according to data from Inside Mortgage Finance, a specialty publication. One reason is that Fannie and Freddie were subject to tougher standards than many of the unregulated players in the private sector who weakened lending standards, most of whom have gone bankrupt or are now in deep trouble.

During those same explosive three years, private investment banks — not Fannie and Freddie — dominated the mortgage loans that were packaged and sold into the secondary mortgage market. In 2005 and 2006, the private sector securitized almost two thirds of all U.S. mortgages, supplanting Fannie and Freddie, according to a number of specialty publications that track this data.
The story with Fannie and Freddie was they were undercapitalized, not that were giving out bad loans. Fannie and Freddie's mortgages went bad at a far lower rate than the private loans that Wall Street was bundling.


I also don't know where you get the $25 billion number that the Fan/Fred bailout cost. The costs I have seen have been in the hundreds of billions during the worst of the crisis. However, it's a number that keeps changing. I have seen it as high as $250 billion a few years ago, but now it is much less, due to rising home prices and interest costs.
Quote:
The baseline forecast assumes that the companies would end up costing taxpayers $76 billion by the end of 2015, down from the current tab of $142 billion.

However, we still own stock in Fannie and Freddie (something like 80%) and they are paying us back which is why the number keeps falling. When we wrap up the bailout, we could have zero dollars in nominal losses which would be the equivalent a long interest free loan. (so their would be opportunity losses and inflation expenses, but conceivably it could be dollar for dollar.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #75
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,378
KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Marco Rubio

This is not to say Fannie and Freddie didn't have their issues. If you want to find out about what actually caused the financial crisis and what Fannie and Freddie did and didn't do, read this book


If you want to read about the actual inner workings and motivations of the subprime lenders, I recommned this book.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy