Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
macmac
Gov'n

Default Re: Growing up a minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Black people in the 50s were mocked when they said they wanted equal opportunities and equal rights too. Now white people are getting mocked for wanting the same thing. How ironic. History moves in circles

I hope you're the first to get lynched then
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
shlver
코비=GOAT

He is right about affirmative action though. It tries to fight discrimination with discrimination.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Job interviewer: "So tell me, what experience do you have for the job?"
OP: "I worked for a while at Toys'r'Us"
Job interviewer: "That's... great. Anything else?"
OP: "I draw comics too"
Job interviewer: "..."
OP: "And I got around 30.000 posts in ISH, split into multiple accounts"
Job interviewer: "I'm sorry, but I don't think you fit the role we're looking for"
OP: "****ing racist, you only say that cause I'm white!"
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #19
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
He is right about affirmative action though. It tries to fight discrimination with discrimination.
I think affirmative action was a good thing at first, but the current generation that is just now becoming bosses and managers for the most part don't have the same prejudices as the past generation, and so we don't need race and gender quotas anymore, all they do is enforce old time segregation.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #20
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
so do you feel you get discriminated? Do you think you have less of a chance getting a job than a black person or a mexican?
Not really, but I felt that when applying for universities.

Then for some reason they started thinking I was mexican because I have a hispanic last name, and I started getting all these scholarship offers for chicanos and latinos even though I dont have a single drop of mexican or south american blood in me
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
shlver
코비=GOAT

Quote:
I think affirmative action was a good thing at first, but the current generation that is just now becoming bosses and managers for the most part don't have the same prejudices as the past generation, and so we don't need race and gender quotas anymore, all they do is enforce old time segregation.
No, my post had nothing to do with affirmative action being a good or bad thing.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #22
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
No, my post had nothing to do with affirmative action being a good or bad thing.
I know.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Kobe Bryant is black Nick. Stop slandering your idol
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
tomtucker
Prince of Wallachia

Quote:
I'm a white american dude.
Every school I have ever gone to and everywhere that I've lived, white people number maybe 20% max. My university is maybe 20% white people with the majority being black, about 50%.

How come "minorities" who are actually in the majority now, are still entitled to special benefits and privileges that the "majority" (actually the minority now) isn't? My school has a Black Student representative and tons of scholarships given to only black people, academic funding I am unable to apply for due to the color of my skin.

In LA, every court I stepped on to where I didnt know the people, everyone always called me 'white boy' or "whitey". If I was black and everyone just said "hey black kid, give up the rock black kid" that would be considered racist as shit, but "minorities" are allowed by society to say racial slurs and basically given a free pass.

White people in most of the western world are a minority now, a minority that receives no special privileges and no affirmative action. Will affirmative action ever be done away with? All it does is serve to enforce racial separation. I get punished simply because my skin color by not being given a fair chance in jobs due to affirmative action quotas allowing people less qualified then me to get a job due to their skin color. There are several scholarships I can't apply for because of my skin color.

Wasn't the civil rights movement supposed to stop this shit?

i hate it........
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #25
ace23

In what countries in the "Western world" are white people a minority?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Job interviewer: "So tell me, what experience do you have for the job?"
OP: "I worked for a while at Toys'r'Us"
Job interviewer: "That's... great. Anything else?"
OP: "I draw comics too"
Job interviewer: "..."
OP: "And I got around 30.000 posts in ISH, split into multiple accounts"
Job interviewer: "I'm sorry, but I don't think you fit the role we're looking for"
OP: "****ing racist, you only say that cause I'm white!"

hehehe
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
In what countries in the "Western world" are white people a minority?

weird...

I thought that even in the USA about 80% are white americans. But I'm sure he will post some credible sources to back it up soon
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
so do you feel you get discriminated? Do you think you have less of a chance getting a job than a black person or a mexican?

Since when is Mexican a race?

They are either white or black, or mixed.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
millwad
Banned

Sorry, Nick Young, but that is nonsense.

First of all, you lie, no way that University of East London only have around 20% white students. I've been there a couple of times and that's nothing but a lie.

And you told us that you've lived in Egypt for a good while, it's not weird that you're a minority there but there's no way you're a minority in London.

And being called "whitey" on a basketball court, seriously? I've played ball plenty of times at Campus and never have anyone called me "whitey" but back home when I played for the youth national team and for my club team I was a minority. Most of the kids were from Africa or the Middle East, we cracked jokes about my skin colour and so did we about their skin colour. That kind of "racism" is nothing compared to the racism a lot of black people in Europe have to face on daily basis.

I don't even understand why you're upset, it doesn't make sense. I think it's a case of you being selfish to be honest, as long as you have anything to gain from a situation you couldn't care less. Like your posts about how it's ok that Israel is occupying non-Israeli terrority, that is OK because you're jewish. But as soon you can't gain from a situtation you seem to cry about it.

Last edited by millwad : 02-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #30
LamarOdom
Banned

Albeit he is and idiot, what he is saying isn't entirely wrong. First of all affirmative action is ridiculous, so is gender quotas but that's a discussion for another thread.

I don't understand why a white man who is more qualified for a job shouldn't get the job because the boss have to fill up the racial quotas or why someone with better grades etc won't get the scholarship or a place in the university because they had to fill their quota, it just sounds wrong and it really needs to get addressed.

Last edited by LamarOdom : 02-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: