Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default do you work on your grip strength? how?

Any specific exercises you do to target your grip strength?

I just bought a couple aluminum "Captains of Crush" grippers from IronMind, which are supposedly the gold standard. 60 lbs. and 80 lbs.

My grip is pretty frail so I gotta work my way up. I know there's a wide array of exercises you can do specifically, but I'll stick with simple grippers and pull-ups which work it as well.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: do you work on your grip strength? how?

Hang a towel/rope off your pull up bar and do pull ups off your towel/rope.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Old school, but they work

edit: oops didnt see that you bought some already. That's probably one of the most basic ways to get it done tho

B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Heavy Deadlifts
High reps of Dumbell Rows
Using thicker bars/fatgripz
Squeezing abs and glutes hard when you grip as well.
Wrist rollers
Towel pullups as previously stated

Also remember that the forearms in general are complex..
there's plate pinching for finger strength
there's crushing grip
there's extensors
there's flexors
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Hazard
makhnovshchina

Hazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHazard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THR9P9odxow - I use the Gi to train my grip strength. Using the sleeves is really hard, I can barely do one that way.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Heavy Deadlifts
Wrist rollers

there's crushing grip
there's extensors
there's flexors

this + hanging ab exercises or pullups/chinups like you mentioned
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

x3 on deadlifts
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
plowking
Banned

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You need to get into the habit of squeezing the bar hard on every exercise. This has helped me. Also farmer walks, or whatever they are called, really help. The one where you get really heavy dumbbells and walk around with them for as long as possible. Good for your back too.

I'm guessing this is for your deadlift, since this is what I had problems with too? I just kept doing heavy singles. I don't even have chalk or a belt at my gym but, with constantly doing heavy singles I've worked my way up to a 510lbs deadlift as of yesterday. The last 5 months or so, its gone up about 50lbs just from doing heavy singles.

EDIT: Also, try and use double overhand grip on your deadlifts as long as possible. I don't start doing 1 over, 1 under grip until about 380lbs. It really helps.

Last edited by plowking : 02-15-2013 at 12:18 AM.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

my old gym used to have the actual iron or w/e metal plates with the really big lips on the outside, so i would grab 2 45's just inside the lips with only the tips of my fingers and hold them by my sides for around 60 secs at a time. really can tell how much it strengthens grip. the ball would get stripped much less as i drove the lane the following year.

EDIT: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...me/plate-pinch

something like this, but with 45's on ea side (or 1 at a time) and arm fully extended. you can really tell how much it helps your grip

Last edited by Remix : 02-15-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

CoC grips are cool. I was up to #2 and just stopped doing them for some reason.

Plate pinches
Farmers walks
fat grips
One armed dumb bell rows
Holding your last deadlift rep for a few seconds
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

calisthenics
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I dated a girl with plastic surgery once; gripping those love muffins was a great form of exercise since they were hard and retracted strongly against the pressure of the grip.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

You can start by gripping as tightly as you can on all your bell and bar movements. That's helped me tremendously. I haven't really done direct grip work aside from that because grip can be integrated into almost anything, so doing as he others have said like heavy deads/presses, farmers walks, plate pinches, all that jazz should do the trick.

OT: Hey dude, I hate to be the guy that says it, but maybe you should post it in the fit-club thread. At least we could keep it all in one place.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Heavy Deadlifts
Wrist rollers

there's crushing grip
there's extensors
there's flexors

What about fingertip pushups? Do they help grip and what part of the forearm are they hitting?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: