Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Jameerthefear
King of ISH
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ****ville, USA
Posts: 40,343
Default How does this gaming PC build look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ncdZxY

Of course I'd have to wait till July when that new card comes out, and prices could fall a little till then. My budget is around $500-$600.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Im Still Ballin
$ELF MADE
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,359
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

You'll get mad pussy bro

Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
dazzer87
College star
 
dazzer87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Pasadena
Posts: 4,157
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

I hope you are not planning on installing your OS on a 7200 rpm HD. SSD are so cheap nowaday. Replace that 1tb drive with a Samsung 512GB ssd. And I would bump up the memory to 16GB. 8GB is the is good but I would move up to 16GB.

Just saw that your budget is 500-600. IMHO thats too low for a gaming system. I guess 8GB is good enough but no matter what I would get a SSD over a HD that is the bottleneck of most system nowaday.

Last edited by dazzer87 : 06-04-2016 at 10:37 PM.
dazzer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Jameerthefear
King of ISH
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ****ville, USA
Posts: 40,343
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer87
I hope you are not planning on installing your OS on a 7200 rpm HD. SSD are so cheap nowaday. Replace that 1tb drive with a Samsung 512GB ssd. And I would bump up the memory to 16GB. 8GB is the is good but I would move up to 16GB.

Just saw that your budget is 500-600. IMHO thats too low for a gaming system. I guess 8GB is good enough but no matter what I would get a SSD over a HD that is the bottleneck of most system nowaday.
An SSD is a bit out of my budget.
I think 8GB will suffice tbh
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year
 
senelcoolidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: At home
Posts: 6,083
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

I was going to suggest a SSD, they are awesome. Why not have a SSD and a HD. Use the SSD for booting up and the HD for your storage. The SSD will make your computer work faster.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
Jameerthefear
King of ISH
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ****ville, USA
Posts: 40,343
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

We'll see how the money works. I want an SSD too it's just the money.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
highwhey
A proud house
 
highwhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 9,680
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ncdZxY

Of course I'd have to wait till July when that new card comes out, and prices could fall a little till then. My budget is around $500-$600.
Looks pretty solid for the price. What games do you plan on playing?
highwhey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
Jameerthefear
King of ISH
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ****ville, USA
Posts: 40,343
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
Looks pretty solid for the price. What games do you plan on playing?
overwatch, FO4, the like.
haven't played vidya in a while. probably gonna pirate some single player games and get back into it and buy online ones like overwatch
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 18,661
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
We'll see how the money works. I want an SSD too it's just the money.
Just save up more.

I've been building affordable gaming rigs for many years. My rule of thumb is:

180-220 for CPU
150-200 for Motherboard
180-250 GPU
75-150 on RAM

NEVER EVER skimp on a power supply. You will always regret it. Spend about 80-120 on a good one you can afford. PSU malfunctions are often disguised as many other components and are very frustrating.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #10
nathanjizzle
Ban Alligators TWFOWGO
 
nathanjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,872
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

looks good.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #11
highwhey
A proud house
 
highwhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 9,680
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Just save up more.

I've been building affordable gaming rigs for many years. My rule of thumb is:

180-220 for CPU
150-200 for Motherboard
180-250 GPU
75-150 on RAM

NEVER EVER skimp on a power supply. You will always regret it. Spend about 80-120 on a good one you can afford. PSU malfunctions are often disguised as many other components and are very frustrating.
This is great advice but keep in mind pc component manufacturers have made huge strides in providing quality components that are more budget friendly. I remember the days when Silverstone and PC Power & Cooling were the only players that made high quality PSUs, nowadays, most manufacturers make quality PSUs because there are better standards (i.e. gold provides great efficiency). Plus, cpu's and gpu's draw wayyyy less power. The most high end graphics card from Nvidia only has a single power connector.
highwhey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #12
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 18,661
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
This is great advice but keep in mind pc component manufacturers have made huge strides in providing quality components that are more budget friendly. I remember the days when Silverstone and PC Power & Cooling were the only players that made high quality PSUs, nowadays, most manufacturers make quality PSUs because there are better standards (i.e. gold provides great efficiency). Plus, cpu's and gpu's draw wayyyy less power. The most high end graphics card from Nvidia only has a single power connector.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. My advice is not from 2006. It's from now.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #13
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year
 
senelcoolidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: At home
Posts: 6,083
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

$500-600 is more than enough to build a rig that will play most modern games. My last rig was around $6-700. I've made upgrades afterwards. I can play pretty much anything.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #14
bladefd
College superstar
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,402
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Jam, here's what I would change..

-choose quieter powersupply - seasonic is much quieter and tends to be better quality
-better motherboard - normally, I suggest full atx but since you have limited budget, microATX is fine. ASUS tends to have better customer service than msi

Here are the 2 changes:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dgwxFd
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #15
highwhey
A proud house
 
highwhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bear Island
Posts: 9,680
Default Re: How does this gaming PC build look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. My advice is not from 2006. It's from now.
It is from 2006.

He's obviously not looking to overclock or have the latest and greatest ports or M.2 compability. His $50 mobo will be just fine, it's no different than a motherboard you would get from Dell. $80 power supply? Why? He won't be drawing a lot of power and the one he has linked, is just fine.
highwhey is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy