Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #151
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

Default Re: Oscars are an ass-kissing fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I won't argue with DDL or Phoenix, but I would have liked to see Denzel win, just because for the first time in his career he played someone other than Denzel Washington.

Hmmm. You could say he won his first Oscar by playing someone other than Denzel.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #152
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I won't argue with DDL or Phoenix, but I would have liked to see Denzel win, just because for the first time in his career he played someone other than Denzel Washington. Glad he got the nom anyway.

You have not seen Denzel in his prime, before he got lazy. His portrayal of Malcolm X is one of the best in film history IMO and he was robbed of the Oscar that year (they tried to make it up to him with Training Day). You can also check out 'Cry Freedom' where he plays South African activist Steve Biko. He was also great in Glory, playing a runaway slave who joins the Union army (pretty sure he won an Oscar for that one).
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #153
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
You have not seen Denzel in his prime, before he got lazy. His portrayal of Malcolm X is one of the best in film history IMO and he was robbed of the Oscar that year (they tried to make it up to him with Training Day). You can also check out 'Cry Freedom' where he plays South African activist Steve Biko. He was also great in Glory, playing a runaway slave who joins the Union army (pretty sure he won an Oscar for that one).

I'm a film person and I know the history of film and how that year is viewed...but I'll never agree with it. I still love Scent Of A Woman till this day and it's as good a performance as you'll see.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #154
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
I'm a film person and I know the history of film and how that year is viewed...but I'll never agree with it. I still love Scent Of A Woman till this day and it's as good a performance as you'll see.

Totally hate Pacino in that film, they should have waited for Donnie Brasco to give it him.

I do like the teenage Phillip Seymour Hoffman
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #155
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Totally hate Pacino in that film, they should have waited for Donnie Brasco to give it him.

I do like the teenage Phillip Seymour Hoffman
You shut your mouth. That's the epitome of how you play a completely hammy role. Seriously, watch that movie and try and think of anyone else that could play Frank Slade and not just get laughed at.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #156
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
You shut your mouth. That's the epitome of how you play a completely hammy role. Seriously, watch that movie and try and think of anyone else that could play Frank Slade and not just get laughed at.

Who the **** is Frank Slade? Because I laughed at Pacino in Scent of a Woman. Why would I remember anyone's name in that movie.

Actually, I probably didn't laugh, I probably gritted my teeth.

The role is only hammy because Pacino played it that way and his director wasn't strong enough to stop him.

I got the visit the set of that movie and watch dailies. The guy who sold the Lamborghini's was terrible and kept blowing his lines and Pacino just told them to keep rolling and he just kept playing the scene with the guy over and over in one take until he got it right.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #157
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Who the **** is Frank Slade? Because I laughed at Pacino in Scent of a Woman. Why would I remember anyone's name in that movie.

Actually, I probably didn't laugh, I probably gritted my teeth.

The role is only hammy because Pacino played it that way and his director wasn't strong enough to stop him.

I got the visit the set of that movie and watch dailies. The guy who sold the Lamborghini's was terrible and kept blowing his lines and Pacino just told them to keep rolling and he just kept playing the scene with the guy over and over in one take until he got it right.

Why are you so argumentative?

You're fighting about a movie and don't know Pacino's character's name.

You don't know if the director wanted it done differently.

You don't know if the director couldn't handle his actors.

You don't seem to understand that stopping filming and resetting costs thousands more than to just keep rolling.

You're supposed to shoot a scene until someone gets it right.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 AM   #158
Patrick Chewing
Knicks fan since 1981

ISH's Queen??

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #159
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Reporter: Tell me about the pieces your wearing.
Jennifer Lawrence: What do you mean? Like... this is the top and this is the bottom.

Seems like a cool chick.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #160
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
Reporter: Tell me about the pieces your wearing.
Jennifer Lawrence: What do you mean? Like... this is the top and this is the bottom.

Seems like a cool chick.
This legit?

God she's so cute. So down to earth. I might have a legit crush.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #161
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
This legit?

God she's so cute. So down to earth. I might have a legit crush.

Yep

GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #162
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
You shut your mouth.

Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #163
IamSofaKing
I brick airballs

Still cant believe Leonardo DiCaprio never won an Oscar, he didnt even get nominated for his role in Django
IamSofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #164
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Why are you so argumentative?

Because I don't like manipulative, dishonest art. I think it cheapens real emotions. If that's what the director was actually going for, then I think it was a terrible choice.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
You don't seem to understand that stopping filming and resetting costs thousands more than to just keep rolling.

You're supposed to shoot a scene until someone gets it right.

No, I do understand that. That part has nothing to do with my review of the movie, just a little behind the scenes trivia. The car salesman comes off as super slick in the movie.

Another behind the scenes thing that was cool was the day I was there they were using a set that was a hotel room. To make it look like a real hotel room, they had these giant blow up photos of the actual buildings across the street from the real hotel. They were three stories high and were mounted so they had lights behind them. They had one for day and one for night. So when you were looking through the windows of the "hotel," it really looked like there were real buildings across the street.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #165
ZeN

Quote:
Because I don't like manipulative, dishonest art. I think it cheapens real emotions. If that's what the director was actually going for, then I think it was a terrible choice.

No, I do understand that. That part has nothing to do with my review of the movie, just a little behind the scenes trivia. The car salesman comes off as super slick in the movie.

Another behind the scenes thing that was cool was the day I was there they were using a set that was a hotel room. To make it look like a real hotel room, they had these giant blow up photos of the actual buildings across the street from the real hotel. They were three stories high and were mounted so they had lights behind them. They had one for day and one for night. So when you were looking through the windows of the "hotel," it really looked like there were real buildings across the street.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: