Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool
Default Donating BLOOD

Does anyone donate blood?

What's your blood type? (0 neg for me)

I have donated 5 units (pints) so far and have really enjoyed the experience. I donated double reds in January and am planning to start donating regularly.

enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Donating BLOOD

Mixed emotions/cognitions about it... Are you sure it goes to the right "hands"? Are you getting paid for it? How much could you get paid, if you had?

Blood type seems to not matter anymore, as they just separate eritrocites from trombocites or something. And extracting trombocites absolutely sucks, takes up to 3 hours almost. Not doing it again...

Oh and I'm VI-
kNIOKAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
CeltsGarlic
Dos Santos

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

With my fear of needles, you can count me off.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Budadiiii
Banned

Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I'd much rather donate sperm. To each their own.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!

SilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this boardSilkkTheShocker has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Try to do it as often as I can. Im AB positive.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

I'm AB negative, but I don't give blood at all.

I'm not an organ donor either. Never will be.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One

Why the negativity toward organ donation?
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Mixed emotions/cognitions about it... Are you sure it goes to the right "hands"? Are you getting paid for it? How much could you get paid, if you had?

Blood type seems to not matter anymore, as they just separate eritrocites from trombocites or something. And extracting trombocites absolutely sucks, takes up to 3 hours almost. Not doing it again...

Oh and I'm VI-

A car accident victim could need as many as 100 pints of blood during surgery. People do die, although rarely, from shortages of blood. I've been donating with the Red Cross so I'm pretty sure the blood is going where it needs to go.

It is a donation, so you don't get paid. I've never heard of people getting paid for their blood, but you can donate plasma 2X a week for up to $30 a visit. The closest location that does this is 40 miles from me so I haven't gotten into it.

Although you won't get any money, there is usually some sort of incentive to give blood, other than saving lives. I've received a coupon for an $8.99 oil change, a coupon for a free pound of dunkin donuts coffee ($10 value), etc. So it can be worth your time.

Edit: Also, what is VI?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One

You have the rarest blood type. Less than 1% of the population has AB-. Your plasma is in very high demand, you could make $60 a week donating it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Bandito
Banned

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Im an organ donor but everytime I want to donate blood i catch the Flu so I can't donate. Is like God is telling me not to donate or something.

It happen twice in BMT, once in tech school and another time two weeks ago.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
enayes
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Im an organ donor but everytime I want to donate blood i catch the Flu so I can't donate. Is like God is telling me not to donate or something.

It happen twice in BMT, once in tech school and another time two weeks ago.

Keep trying man, they need blood. What's your blood type?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
A car accident victim could need as many as 100 pints of blood during surgery. People do die, although rarely, from shortages of blood. I've been donating with the Red Cross so I'm pretty sure the blood is going where it needs to go.

It is a donation, so you don't get paid. I've never heard of people getting paid for their blood, but you can donate plasma 2X a week for up to $30 a visit. The closest location that does this is 40 miles from me so I haven't gotten into it.

Although you won't get any money, there is usually some sort of incentive to give blood, other than saving lives. I've received a coupon for an $8.99 oil change, a coupon for a free pound of dunkin donuts coffee ($10 value), etc. So it can be worth your time.

Edit: Also, what is VI?
There's definitely a point with an accident victim. Question is how long can the blood be stored? I think it's better to donate on-site, in that case, although availability to do it is very unlikely.

I've heard some gossipping that the blood could be sold abroad for a fitting sum, and that's when I got really reserved with the donation idea. It is likely as valid as reptile massonry rumours, but ah. It did turn off my mood about it.

If I chose to get paid, I'd be paid like $15 for 250ml, I think. It is not really worth it, and I heard it's hazardous to your health. So, not worthy. If you choose not to get paid, yeah you get a snickers and a bottle of water, pen and a mug, probably.
If you donate like 60 times, you get a pension (not sure how much, but a monthly payment), but to do it you might not even get to that age. It is a fair share of donations, and you have to take breaks in between.
If done it once paid and two times donate. Not doing anymore, I think, although they do call me or text me every once in a while.

VI (I meant IV) is the same as AB, I guess. I am minus, so also supposedly the rarest group. All good.
kNIOKAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
enayes
Decent college freshman

If anyone is interested you can make an account here:
http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood

Once you make an account you can view all the blood drives in your area and sign up a specific time and day. After you donate, the Red Cross will send you your own Donor card that you can show the next time you donate.

This card could end up saving your life, as it has your blood type listed. When someone is in an accident, doctors sometimes have to waste valuable time determining the blood type of the patient. But if you have the card on you the paramdeics/nurses will find it. Just something to think about.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post here or PM me. I am an unofficial customer service rep. for the Red Cross.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Bandito
Banned

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
Keep trying man, they need blood. What's your blood type?
Mine is A+ is not like it's that rare
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

type B, i donated once in HS, 2 weeks before I had a basketball tournament
coach got pretty damn pissed. i then found out it would take 3 months to recover all my blood. since i ball regularly, i stopped donating.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: