Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Donating BLOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
type B, i donated once in HS, 2 weeks before I had a basketball tournament
coach got pretty damn pissed. i then found out it would take 3 months to recover all my blood. since i ball regularly, i stopped donating.

Horribly false

"Your body will replace the blood volume (plasma) within 48 hours. It will take four to eight weeks for your body to completely replace the red blood cells you donated. The average adult has eight to 12 pints of blood. You will not notice any physical changes related to the pint you donated."

This was taken from giveblood.org. I guess you're not that far off about the red blood cells but you won't feel any side effects after the 48 hours.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes

Horribly false

"Your body will replace the blood volume (plasma) within 48 hours. It will take four to eight weeks for your body to completely replace the red blood cells you donated. The average adult has eight to 12 pints of blood. You will not notice any physical changes related to the pint you donated."

This was taken from giveblood.org. I guess you're not that far off about the red blood cells but you won't feel any side effects after the 48 hours.
yeah i think i was talking about the red blood cells. i remember donating a substantial amount, a huge pack.. forgot how much though. but not feeling any side effects after 48 hours is false.. imagine when you play sports, how much blood is needed, and gets pumped through your body. Without having the blood required, i think oxygen would get transported slower, etc etc

it's been YEARS since i looked at it though, so i could be wrong.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
yeah i think i was talking about the red blood cells. i remember donating a substantial amount, a huge pack.. forgot how much though. but not feeling any side effects after 48 hours is false.. imagine when you play sports, how much blood is needed, and gets pumped through your body. Without having the blood required, i think oxygen would get transported slower, etc etc

it's been YEARS since i looked at it though, so i could be wrong.

It's definitely a bad idea to give blood RIGHT before a sporting event, or maybe even a couple days before to be safe. Every time I've given blood they instruct you to take it easy for 24 hours, no heavy lifting, long distance running, etc. But after 24 hours they say you can continue your regular activites, exercise included. Of course certain people may need longer to recover, but it is a very quick recovery for most people.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
nash4eva!gosuns
Back!

nash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posternash4eva!gosuns is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
type B, i donated once in HS, 2 weeks before I had a basketball tournament
coach got pretty damn pissed. i then found out it would take 3 months to recover all my blood. since i ball regularly, i stopped donating.

Similar. I donated for the first time a few months ago. 4 days later we were doing 400m sprints in my running class. Passed out, threw up, and cramped up.

Terrible day.
If I plan it, I would donate again and stay the fck indoors but not while I have to move!!!

My coach said I'd be okay so I went for it but maybe it took me longer to recover. I don't eat meat and have never donated before, really.
nash4eva!gosuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #20
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Everyone should donate blood if they are eligible. It saves lives and people do die from shortages.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: