Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
fpliii
NBA All-star

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Best bigs defending on the perimeter? Best wings defending in the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
Thread creator seems like he might have been scheming for this answer to begin with ... IE LeBron. Same goes for his last thread (best full court and half court players)

I wouldn't consider Pippen or LeBron bigs. They are wings. Not smalls (PG / SG) or bigs (PF / C) ... they are small forwards.

The drifter position between back court and front court. Usually the most versatile position guy on the team by nature, given their size, guard like skill set and athletic ability in comparison to the heavier, slower of foot power forwards and big men.

False. I was going for Hakeem/Pippen respectively. LeBron is a tough sell for me, since he's still active and entering his prime. Definitely versatile, but I need to see sustained success (it looked like he'd taken a step back earlier this year, but LeBron's been great for the past couple months).

I don't have a pro-LeBron agenda, and I'm not sure that anything in my posting history would suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harison
Hakeem, Garnett and Russell. Pretty much the best All-time trio what concerns bigs and versatility. DRob isnt far back too.

Might even give a nod to Rus and KG, because they communicated, ran their team D (including perimeter) as a well oiled machine.

Hakeem and DRob relied purely on their own freakish athleticizm and quickness. While it was an elite D, but it cant be as effective as a team D, orchestrated on such level by only two guys in NBA history.

Russ is another great mention. I like the DRob nomination as well.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Best bigs defending on the perimeter? Best wings defending in the post?

Quote:
Hakeem, Garnett and Russell. Pretty much the best All-time trio what concerns bigs and versatility. DRob isnt far back too.

Might even give a nod to Rus and KG, because they communicated, ran their team D (including perimeter) as a well oiled machine.

Hakeem and DRob relied purely on their own freakish athleticizm and quickness. While it was an elite D, but it cant be as effective as a team D, orchestrated on such level by only two guys in NBA history.

Wait... Are you saying Hakeem was not a good team defender???
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think Taj Gibson does a good job defending the perimeter.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Didn't Bobby Jones play PF? Yet he's considered arguably the best perimeter defender of all time.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
NugzHeat3
Local High School Star

NugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation hereNugzHeat3 has an incredible reputation here

David Robinson is definitely up there with Hakeem and Garnett for me in terms of best bigs defending on the perimeter.

Just an example since it's the most recent one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2IN0DgyRcM

^3:35 of this video. Yeah, I'm aware its the All-Star game but it's a very impressive play nonetheless. Isiah isolates against Robinson, drives baseline and Robinson strips him straight up (receives no help) showcasing how much ground he could cover + the quickness of his hands. That's not prime Isiah in terms of explosion but like I said, it doesn't make the play any less impressive.

He was very quick both laterally which could help him in switches, had long arms, closed out well and played good overall pick and roll defense.

Ben Wallace is another big who was good on the perimeter.

Anthony Mason is definitely a great post-defender for a wing with the caveat being whether he was a true wing or not since he was a tweener forward imo. His post-defense on Hakeem was very impressive in the finals as he was able to push him away from the basket.

Payton was very impressive in the post with his long arms, intense, tenacious defense + he was very good at fronting/ball-denial.

Rodman was another guy very good in the post especially due to his core strength and how much effort he'd put in but I'm not familiar with his Detroit years as much so I'm not sure how effective his post-defense was back then. It was great in the Spurs and Bulls years (except the times where he wasn't in it mentally) but he was playing the 4 so I'm not sure if you can count those particular years.

Kenyon Martin in his prime was pretty good out on the perimeter, not KG-level but he'd hold his own against swingmen. I remember Karl put him on Kobe in the 2008 Nuggets/Lakers series for short stretches, it wasn't that effective but it was better relative to anyone else on the team + that was a prime Kobe. It was even better in the Nets years where he was more explosive. Solid hands too.

Kidd too was good at defending the post (smart, quick hands, strong) which reminds me that Nets squad had very good perimeter D.

Everyone else has already been mentioned.
NugzHeat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Harison
The Awakening

Harison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Wait... Are you saying Hakeem was not a good team defender???

You mean help defender? Sure he was. He didnt orchestrated the team's defense though, that was my point.
Harison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
#number6ix#
LETS GO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!

#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster

Garnett(not so much now) and Noah are great at checking guards

Shane battier is a great defender that doesn't get enough props on his versatility he checks low post players very well and more often than lebron
#number6ix# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
You mean help defender? Sure he was. He didnt orchestrated the team's defense though, that was my point.

What??? Dude anchored the Rocket's defense...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

ralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
Today and all-time.

I have a good idea of who the first few names thrown out there will be, but after them there will probably be some interesting mentions.

Anyhow, who comes to mind?

Today- Lebron (for both)
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

ralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation hereralph_i_el has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

you need to listen to Kenny talk about hakeem on open court. He was such a quick defender on the PnR that often he could guard both the guard and the big, which gave his guard a ton of leeway. He also leads all bigs in steals all time

Hakeem getting underrated again
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
What??? Dude anchored the Rocket's defense...

You completely missed what he was saying.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

All time is probably Garnett and Hakeem and Rodman.

Wings defending the post is more about denial that anything else. I'll go with Jordan,Pippen,Artest (He could actually defend big 4's), Moncrief.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #28
Harison
The Awakening

Harison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
you need to listen to Kenny talk about hakeem on open court. He was such a quick defender on the PnR that often he could guard both the guard and the big, which gave his guard a ton of leeway. He also leads all bigs in steals all time

Hakeem getting underrated again

Those are all true but individual traits. Why people ignore not only offense can be run by someone (lets say PG), defense can be run too. Maybe because its very rare?

To put in the perspective, Hakeem, DRob, Rodman, etc. in the defense are like scorers in the offense - they do it individualy. What Russell and Garnett did, they ran D like Magic runs offense.
Harison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #29
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
You completely missed what he was saying.

No I am not, dude was vocal. He was the qb of that defense.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #30
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

Quote:
Those are all true but individual traits. Why people ignore not only offense can be run by someone (lets say PG), defense can be run too. Maybe because its very rare?

To put in the perspective, Hakeem, DRob, Rodman, etc. in the defense are like scorers in the offense - they do it individualy. What Russell and Garnett did, they ran D like Magic runs offense.

When you say that someone "runs the defense" I just assumed that we were talking about the person who's strengths were most depended on to be successful. I get what you're saying though.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: