Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Dead Space 3

So far pretty good.

Says I'm 20% through, which makes it feel a bit short if that's accurate. There are side missions you can do, of which I feel like I haven't found much. I just did my first last night.

I feel like the atmosphere is better than the last one. The deserted colonized ship, with it's mall and stuff, had it's moments, but it felt to bright at times. So far this abondoned shipyard orbiting this planet has the deader feel that sets the tone for this game. But it may get redundant.

Also they made major changes to the weapon upgrade system, and to this point, I'm not enjoying them. I don't usually say this, but it's too confusing. Not fully understanding what each element brings to the table means a lot of creating, leaving the bench, wasting a bit of ammo, then going back in. I sort of enjoyed the puzzling element of the old ones, figuring out the most efficient way to route through the power node maze. It wasn't rocket science, but it presented a set of choices, which elements did you want to upgrade first? Was it worth the extra power node to go straight at an element you preferred?

This so far has been too much for my taste. But it may improve as I get more accustomed to it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Dead Space 3

Is no one else really playing this?

They advertised the hell out of it. It's even advertised on this forum all the time. And it's a pretty popular franchise. And the reviews have been very good.

I spoke with a friend of a friend who had a similar affinity for the first two, and our opinions are almost identical. The setting and atmosphere in this one are the best yet. But the changes to the weapon system, which have been really lauded as spectacular in a few reviews, have wiped out a lot of the fun for us. I'm gonna get through this whole game using primarily the original plasma cutter because I don't want to waste a whole 3 hour gaming session after work one night, which I do only once a week, trying to figure out what fits together to make a good weapon. It's really unfortunate.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
WhiteMamba
Can barely lace up my sneakers

WhiteMamba has an OK reputation so far

Played the demo, wasn't too bad. The camera gave me a headache though.
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Will buy it when I finish Dark Souls (or when I give up).

Didn't know they've changed how the weapons work, but you know the plasma cutter > any other
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I guess I really was the only person playing this game! And after they obviously spent a fortune on advertising with adds right here on the ISH message board.

Quote:
Dead Space 3's attempt at bringing in more players by tweaking the horror/action balance seems to have failed. And if the rumors are true, that failure holds direct consequences for the series' future.

Videogamer.com, citing an anonymous source, is reporting that EA has canceled the unannounced Dead Space 4. The game was in the preproduction phase at Visceral's California offices, with help from a small team at Visceral Montreal. EA closed the latter studio a few weeks ago.

Dead Space 3 was yet another polarizing game, with players both praising and criticizing the series' turn away from survival horror toward action. Players had strong reactions to the game's use of microtransactions, as well. Whatever the reason, the rumor says that the title did not pull in numbers that EA felt like bragging about. Official sales numbers have not been released.

"While we have not announced sales data for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and it remains important IP for EA," a spokesperson for EA told us.

And just to update, I still was never into able to really get into this game because of the pain in the ass the weapon system is. It was pretty well reviewed, but I've spoken to more than one person that really hated it. And I personally was pretty offended by the purchase options, where I could buy things I need, like ammo or health, or weapons, with real life money. It just feels gross, and I'm not one to complain about DLC, but this was rediculous, because I was never sure if I had missed an element in the game (like they have these leverage bars to get into doors that are usually just extra supplies) or if they're set up in a way to bait me into buying the thing.

I actually think I'm going to put this down and move on to Tomb Raider tonight.

In related news, my gaming was stalled for a few weeks when my 46" Sony XBR8 of 6 years crapped out on me over the past month. The last few weeks it's been horrible, unusable really, and so this past weekend I just picked up a new 55" Samsung 8000 series LED Smart TV. I've always been a Sony guy, but this experience was frustrating enough for me to move on. Plus Sony's Smart TV was more expensive by a thousand bucks, and it's browser is much clumsier.
I'm still not all hooked up, but it's coming along pretty well. The internet connection on the Samsung isn't as simple as I'd hoped it'd be, but I'm getting there.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I didn't think they would continue it. EA claimed several months ago that they would need to sell around 5 million to continue the franchise. With the direction they were taking the series I really didn't have much hope in it.

Quote:
"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space. Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them."
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-wants-...e-229567.phtml
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pretty much knew it wouldn't be a game day purchase when I heard them talking about it while it was in development saying how they were going to remove more of the horror elements to open up the "IP" to a wider audience. Plus the co-op story mode annoys me, too.

I'll probably pick it up on Steam when it's cheap during one of their sales, but i'm skipping it for now.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

F*ck, I was really interested. Guess I'll get Dark Souls 2 instead.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: