Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #61
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Adjusted per cost of living, Houston dominates with the highest standard of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Not sure I would be able to handle Houston traffic and the summer heat tho. I think if I were to move to Texas it would be Dallas. Seems like my kind of city.
Those were my thoughts as well. For those from the area, is Houston traffic bad everywhere? I have a friend I've visited down there during the summer and 1) it was incredibly, almost unbearably hot and 2) the traffic was extremely hectic and unpleasant (she was right on the edge of downtown itself). Is metro Houston also bad, traffic-wise? And is the surrounding area nice?

Also, for those who live in this type of region, is outdoor basketball still feasible on a sunny July afternoon or early evening? Or is everything handled indoors around that type of year? I just have this memory of going to a boardwalk near Galveston and them having "cooling" stations that'd lower the air temperature to like, 98 degrees, and it was a relief. I couldn't imagine playing basketball in weather like that day in and day out.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-28-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #62
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Adjusted per cost of living, Houston dominates with the highest standard of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Is Houston traffic bad everywhere? I have a friend I've visited down there during the summer and 1) it was incredibly, almost unbearably hot and 2) the traffic was extremely hectic and unpleasant (she was right on the edge of downtown itself). Is metro Houston also bad, traffic-wise? And is the surrounding area nice?

Also, for those who live in this type of region, is outdoor basketball still feasible on a sunny July afternoon or early evening? Or is everything handled indoors around that type of year? I just have this memory of going to a boardwalk near Galveston and them having "cooling" stations that'd lower the air temperature to like, 98 degrees, and it was a relief. I couldn't imagine playing basketball in weather like that day in and day out.

Downtown area will always be hectic during regular traffic hours. Anywhere else is pretty normal to me. I believe Houston is #5 in bad traffic. I always thought it was typical traffic, but I've never lived anywhere else but have been in NY traffic.

As for the weather, depends what your heat threshold is . Summer afternoon hooping is rough. We usually wait until early evening when the sun starts going down. I'm the type of person that can handle heat better than cold, so...
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #63
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Those were my thoughts as well. For those from the area, is Houston traffic bad everywhere? I have a friend I've visited down there during the summer and 1) it was incredibly, almost unbearably hot and 2) the traffic was extremely hectic and unpleasant (she was right on the edge of downtown itself). Is metro Houston also bad, traffic-wise? And is the surrounding area nice?

traffic is bad, but if you kow the inside routes you will be ok.

most people i know ball at 24 hr fitness but alot of the outside courts in houston are covered, so the sun isn't much of an issue. the humidity however.....
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #64
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
traffic is bad, but if you kow the inside routes you will be ok.

most people i know ball at 24 hr fitness but alot of the outside courts in houston are covered, so the sun isn't much of an issue. the humidity however.....
Weird, I've never really imagined covered outdoor courts before. I guess that makes good sense, and probably helps with sun issues too. Nice.

I might still have trouble with the traffic though. It's a big part of the reason I'm not much of a fan of moving any closer to Detroit than Ann Arbor. Beyond A2, the traffic begins to be a little much and dealing with that every single day after work? I'm not sure that's my game.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #65
bmd
Local High School Star

bmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Weird, I've never really imagined covered outdoor courts before. I guess that makes good sense, and probably helps with sun issues too. Nice.

I might still have trouble with the traffic though. It's a big part of the reason I'm not much of a fan of moving any closer to Detroit than Ann Arbor. Beyond A2, the traffic begins to be a little much and dealing with that every single day after work? I'm not sure that's my game.
You've never seen a basketball court with a pavilion over it before? Interesting. I never realized that it may be a regional thing.

But anyway, not all courts in Houston are covered. Here is one of the most known courts in Houston right by the Toyota Center:

But the most famous basketball spot in Houston is the public Fonde Rec Center... and it's indoors. Back in the day, Hakeem and Moses Malone used to play here. NBA players used to ball in the off-season. It's old, but it's historic:

So my point is that there are all kinds of places to play all over Houston. Outdoor courts that are covered, outdoor courts that are not, indoor courts, etc.

Last edited by bmd : 02-28-2013 at 05:20 PM.
bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #66
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Not sure if this is "high" but on our place appraised at about $190K, we pay about $5000 a year in property taxes.

Not bad at all, I pay a lil less and my place was appraised for $122k but the fckers value it at 180k, and I live in a state with a 5% state income tax....

HOA fees a lil under $300 but covers oil/gas and water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
i'd rather pay property tax than income tax. you can control how much property tax you are willing to pay, not so with income tax unless you just choose not to make as much money (i paid 5000 last year as well. no HOA though)

I agree. $5,000 is not a lot though property tax is relative to the location. Still not as bad as I thought it would be.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #67
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd
You've never seen a basketball court with a pavilion over it before? Interesting. I never realized that it may be a regional thing.

So my point is that there are all kinds of places to play all over Houston. Outdoor courts that are covered, outdoor courts that are not, indoor courts, etc.
Yeah, maybe my eyes have been closed, but I've never seen a pavilion court in Michigan (or anywhere else during my brief stays in other locations). That court next to the Toyota Center looks spectacular. I wish I'd known it was there when I was down in those parts. And I've heard of Fonde, kind of like our St. Cecilia's in Detroit.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #68
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Texas summers can be really brutal but it is still much better weather than northern cities with brutal winters...say Chicago or Philly

the friends that I have from up north much prefer the weather here...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #69
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Texas summers can be really brutal but it is still much better weather than northern cities with brutal winters...say Chicago or Philly

the friends that I have from up north much prefer the weather here...

Ye the extremes are tough. 110 degrees in summer vs 0 degree weather in Chicago with wind chill lol.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: