Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far
Default Artest's Dog Seized

http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/119789.html

Quote:
Placer seizes Artest dog
Authorities, saying the Great Dane was underfed, take the animal from the Kings player's home.
By Kim Minugh and Art Campos - Bee Staff Writers
Published 12:00 am PST Wednesday, February 7, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Placer County animal services officers have seized a dog belonging to Sacramento Kings star Ron Artest on suspicion of failure to adequately feed the animal.

Animal Services officers issued a "pre-seizure" notice to Artest on Jan. 30, warning that they would take Socks, a black female Great Dane, into protective custody if the situation was not remedied, according to a county report obtained by The Bee.

On Monday, officers returned and seized Socks, citing a law that requires animal caretakers to "provide proper sustenance." According to the post-seizure report, Artest can request a hearing within 10 days of the notice date.

In an e-mail message sent to The Bee late Tuesday night, Artest said, "I'm glad to say all problems are solved now, and I'm looking forward to getting my dog back."

County spokeswoman Anita Yoder said the Great Dane is in the care of a local veterinarian. She declined to elaborate further except to say that officers are continuing to investigate.

The president of the homeowners association for Artest's gated neighborhood said Tuesday that animal services had been to the Artest residence prior to January.

Allan Frumkin, who heads the Sierra Ridge Estates Homeowners Association, also said residents have come to him with concerns about the welfare of dogs kept at Artest's home.

"That says two things: One, there's some nice people here," Frumkin said. "Two, those dogs weren't being properly cared for."

Artest said in his e-mail that when he left last week for a road trip, "my dog watcher was feeding both my dogs and my American bulldog dominated all the food."

When he got back, Artest said, "I realized Socks lost a lot of weight. So I immediately isolated Socks in a separate room in my garage to eat and gain some weight back."

The next day, he said, animal control officers took the dog.

"The other times my dogs were escaping the half-acre gated area I had for them, and the animal police would always bring them back," Artest said.

The basketball star and aspiring rap artist moved into his home in the Sierra Ridge Estates, an exclusive neighborhood of 18 homes in rural Loomis, in the spring of 2006.

Artest purchased the property last February for $1.85 million, according to property records. The 6,571-square-foot house includes five bedrooms, four fireplaces and a five-car garage, records show.

Artest told The Bee during a July interview that he loved his new 5-acre property. He also said he kept seven large dogs there, including a bull mastiff, a Great Dane and a pit bull.

In the summer of 2006 -- Frumkin said he can't remember which month -- the association president was driving by Artest's home and saw that Animal Services was there.

Frumkin said homeowners began coming to him with reports of perceived neglect of Artest's dogs prior to that Animal Services visit.

"They seemed starved for attention and starved for food," Frumkin said neighbors told him.

The allegations have so upset neighbors that a committee revising the association's rules decided to include a new stipulation that residents must properly care for their animals.

"These are really nice people that live out here," Frumkin said.

"We don't like to see this type of thing go on."

Association members are scheduled to vote on the new CC&Rs, including the animal care clause, on Sunday.

lol come on ron...
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Artest's Dog Seized

Are we turning into the 2004 Portland Jail blazers here? It kinda sounds like Ron isn't totally at fault, but it's still retarded and the media in Sac will turn this into a big deal. Sacramento is a big city(kind of) with a small town mentality, similar to Portland IMO. Fans want players who are practically angels and when a player does something wrong a big deal is made out of it. Some lady called into KHTK and said he was a monster. People are going to blow this way out of proportion.

This team has plenty of similarities with the blazers who ended up getting called the Jail blazers. The players hate the coach and ***** about him(Bibby does, Sheed did about Mo Cheeks), someone got caught with drugs(Mo for us, multiple players for the blazers), in between sucking and the playoffs(aka basketball hell, too good to improve and too bad too matter), and we both have/had a crappy young coach(Cheeks/Muss). Ron and Quintel Woods also both had animal troubles, although Ron's aren't as bad. To top it off our coach has a DUI.

Rebuild this team already please.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Targus™
Good college starter

in another site it said his neighbor said the dog is left in the backyard for months without food or water. what i dont understand is why he cannot pay somebody to take care of his dog? or where's his wife? i like ron but that's not right ;)
Old 02-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Are we turning into the 2004 Portland Jail blazers here? It kinda sounds like Ron isn't totally at fault, but it's still retarded and the media in Sac will turn this into a big deal. Sacramento is a big city(kind of) with a small town mentality, similar to Portland IMO. Fans want players who are practically angels and when a player does something wrong a big deal is made out of it. Some lady called into KHTK and said he was a monster. People are going to blow this way out of proportion.

This team has plenty of similarities with the blazers who ended up getting called the Jail blazers. The players hate the coach and ***** about him(Bibby does, Sheed did about Mo Cheeks), someone got caught with drugs(Mo for us, multiple players for the blazers), in between sucking and the playoffs(aka basketball hell, too good to improve and too bad too matter), and we both have/had a crappy young coach(Cheeks/Muss). Ron and Quintel Woods also both had animal troubles, although Ron's aren't as bad. To top it off our coach has a DUI.

Rebuild this team already please.

@ the Kings being like Portland.

-Both have arena probs
-Both have had wells.
-Both suck and underacheive.
-Both have "s" at the end of their team name.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
in another site it said his neighbor said the dog is left in the backyard for months without food or water. what i dont understand is why he cannot pay somebody to take care of his dog? or where's his wife? i like ron but that's not right ;)

If the dog had been left without food/water for months at a time wouldn't it be dead?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
Targus™
Good college starter

i would think so, lol. but the dude makes millions of dollars and can't buy his pup a 30$ bag of Kibbles N' Bits
Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Well he is away a lot because of road trips and stuff. If the other dog did dominate the food like he said than I could see the Great Dane not getting enough food and losing a lot of weight. It seems kinda like an excuse and he's trying to cover this up but it could also be for real. I dunno. Personally I think his value is pretty good right now and I think we need to trade him and rebuild.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: