Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Raptors official off-season thread 2013-14

Playoff hopes are done, time to talk about what needs to be done going forward.

Team needs:

- New General Manager
- New Head Coach
- Backup Point Guard
- Backup Center (to back up Val)
- LEGIT backup PF (no more of this smallball nonsense)
- Legit backup SF (pretty much get a legit bench)
- Trade or Amnesty Bargnani

- Get rid of useless contracts (Fields, Kleiza, Gray)
- Keep the core players, and potential explore trades or cuts for the rest.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation
Default Re: Raptors official off-season thread 2013-14

Our playoff dreams...

Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

If I was in charge, obviously my first order of business would be getting rid of Colangelo. Next would be to convene a meeting with Embry and every other available basketball brain and the meeting would be called 'Andrew Wiggins'. I know getting him is a real longshot right now, but it would be such a transformational moment that absolutely everything that could be done to make it happen should be explored. And there's nothing in this current organisation that shouldn't be changed to get this kid from the GTA into the fold- if it takes losing any player we have, hiring a certain coach, even keeping Bargnani... anything. (Well, not keeping Bargnani.) I'd make some risky star-for-draft-pick deals just to increase the chances we got him.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Meh....I didn't see the point of making the 8th seed and getting swept in 4 by Miami.

It's better we give a late lottery pick to OKC. imo. Just for the simple fact of 'getting it out of the way'.
Zan Tabak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
Our playoff dreams...

Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

That Landry Fields deal is looking dumber by the day. We still owe the dude another 13 mill over the next 2 years. Kleiza has a player option for another 4.6M which unless some team is gonna offer him more without having seen him play anytime recently he'll probably exercise. Amir kicks up to 6.5M. Derozan jumps to 9.5. Bargs at 10. Rudy at almost 18M. Going into the offseason we are gonna be on the books next year for 72 million. That puts us WAY up there and we're now a top 10 team in terms of salary dished out. But if you look at the other teams rivaling or bettering us in terms of spending (LA, NY, Miami, Chicago, GS, LAC, SAS, etc...) we are one of the only ones that have spent needlessly for a team that is still a bottom tier scrap for an 8th seed type of team with maybe one guy you could consider a borderline superstar.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Just to confirm:

Because this team is over the "Cap" (but below the tax - even with the Kleiza amnesty) there are no exceptions available, and they wouldn't be able to add anyone via free agency... correct?

Any additions to this team would have to come via trade?
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Another way to look at it according to National Post:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...d-who-will-go/

I guess despite needs based approach - one way to look at the situation is to say who will go and then arrange the trade or whatever.

Kliza, Bargnani, and perhaps Demar (?) according to those projections.

I suppose package deals or deals plus amnesty would yield a new core around:

Klow
Terrence Ross
Rudy
Amir
Val
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Interesting article. It speculates that we will most likely keep Val and Gay. That Amir, Lowry, Ross and Fields probably won't be moved. Obviously in Fields case because nobody would want him at that price unless we packaged him with another player.

It talks about the uncertainty about whether DD will be kept or traded. Which I honestly think he should be traded. Sure he's playing well but he and Rudy are redundant.

It says Bargs and Kleiza are unlikely to be on the roster unless they once again have trouble moving his contract, which is AGAIN possible if they don't lower their standards a little. And it says will definitely not be on the team next year, Pietrus, Telfair, Anderson.

A lot of speculation but my hopes are that we obviously first and foremost get rid of BC and Casey. Then our new GM trades Bargs immediately. Maybe gets a servicable SG that can really shoot and stretch the floor. Then perhaps trade Derozan and pick up a good 4 man so we can have Rudy as our full time 3. And then we gotta pick up a backup point.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

I think Derozan definitely needs to go. Like Calderon he is largely a known entity who is redundant with a better player on our team and who we have a chance to sell high on for once. We might get burned because he's showing glimpses of real improvement, but you've got to give from a place of surplus to fill holes. Lowry at the 1, Gay, legit stud 4 and an improved Val with actual minutes is a solid starting 4 and if we take the cuffs off Lowry and let him score you could even slot in a hopefully more accurate Fields in at the 2 as a glue guy and save Ross for 25 minutes a night as a sixth man (again assuming he can get some damn minutes).

Amir is our primary big off the bench and then use exemptions and a Bargs deal to fill out the rest of the bench and then bingo, bango, bongo make the playoffs, which realistically is our ceiling at this point.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Rudy Gay love affair seems to be short-lived, like many of us predicted. He has a 16 PER and 47% TS, while playing for Toronto. We have no bench; Ross is getting no PT and when he does, he looks like a bust.

Our point differentials by the months:
November: -1.8
December: -1.3
January: +1.4
February: -4

And now we will not make the playoffs and will most likely have no 1st or 2nd round picks, just the MLE to sign another scrub. So there's nothing to get excited about this offseason.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Hoping we can trade bargs for a solid backup pg (maybe sessions?) or kleiza for a 2nd rounder and then amnesty the other.
This will free up the MLE which we can use to sign a pf.
The best one available in that price range is Andray Blantche (I know, risky cancer in the locker room, etc. but very skilled with a ton of size). Other option for MLE is Carl Landry. Another key for me is not resigning AA.

Of course it goes without saying that I'd like to see a new gm and coach.

New lineup that I think could be decent.

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Blantche
Val

Bench
Sessions
Ross
Fields
Amir
Gray

I'm not devastated by fields. I think he could contribute off the bench. And demar's contract isn't so terrible now that he is playing well. I think he has developed into a solid 2nd option on offence. When the refs have his back he really attacks and there aren't a lot of players that are willing to do that these days.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

It's unfortunate that we've taken on so much salary. There are some decent FA's for the positions we need filled. Mo Will, Devin Harris, Nate Robinson, Wilcox, Blatche (as was already mentioned), Kaman, Hickson..

Lots of guys i'd like to see us go after but I wonder about how exactly we'd go about getting them.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

The only players I absolutely want to see kept on this team are the following:
Rudy Gay (what choice do we have)
Amir Johnson
Kyle Lowry
Val
MAYBE Ross but i'm fine with trading him too.

Aside from that, anyone else i'd happily see traded from the team.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Am I the only one not totally convinced Lowry is the "point guard of the future"?
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: