Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Writing your resume sucks...

And the longer you've worked the harder it is and the more it sucks. I have to write an executive level resume, and it is completely the opposite of how my brain works, it's a results oriented resume, not a task oriented resume as it is when you are younger.

Shoot me so i can stop this.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Writing your resume sucks...

I don't know how extensive they want it but usually you just go back to your last 3 employment positions.

Sounds to me like you are having to write a performance-based resume. Those are the ones that want you to explain and show what you did to make a company better and not what you just did.

Start to explain how you made them better when you left. Not knowing your profession, you may also want to explain how you made your employers more money.

It's basically a business plan like how you would present to the banks when applying for a loan.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
I don't know how extensive they want it but usually you just go back to your last 3 employment positions.

Sounds to me like you are having to write a performance-based resume. Those are the ones that want you to explain and show what you did to make a company better and not what you just did.

Start to explain how you made them better when you left. Not knowing your profession, you may also want to explain how you made your employers more money.

It's basically a business plan like how you would present to the banks when applying for a loan.

Yep. Took me a bit of time. I'm finance, finance is not about selling, it's about efficiency (to me). I find every little detail and enable decisions to be made quickly to make more money. This is not that. This is explaining that.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My friend was trying to set me up with this job interview, told me to email him my resume. I was like "what resume, homie?"
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
My friend was trying to set me up with this job interview, told me to email him my resume. I was like "what resume, homie?"
Write your name, address, phone number on the top of the paper. then write EXPERIENCE and under that write "LOTS AND LOTS"

Instant resume.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Took a class last sem. where one of the major assignments was preparing a resume. All I really have to do now is make updates to it, glad to have taken the class
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Try writing a resume never having worked a day in your life.

Experience: ISH
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Yep. Took me a bit of time. I'm finance, finance is not about selling, it's about efficiency (to me). I find every little detail and enable decisions to be made quickly to make more money. This is not that. This is explaining that.
never write complete sentences in a resume
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Nanners
Great college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

first world problems in this thread

i certainly do agree that writing your resume sucks tho
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
never write complete sentences in a resume
i'm good, i'm not. I have some very experienced people helping me and tearing it apart. My first pass made me sound less senior than i am.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Write your name, address, phone number on the top of the paper. then write EXPERIENCE and under that write "LOTS AND LOTS"

Instant resume.

I was considering just making shit up but decided I didn't want that shitty job anyhow.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

the worst part is every employer wants different things, its like gambling
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
the worst part is every employer wants different things, its like gambling

Why not add both? Task and results?
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good luck.

You need to get hip to how companies use Job candidate software ASAP.
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/08/146585...nline-oblivion
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/28/173122...rting-software

Apparently, you need to write your resume to be read by a computer system as well as a person.

I just got a job and it took me longer than I expected. Good luck.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
netsfan549
Good High School Starter

netsfan549 has decent reputationnetsfan549 has decent reputation

How important is it to have one of those referral reference? my teacher said his going to make me a Thank you letter and could write me a referral letter. I am looking for a job
netsfan549 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: