Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator
 
insidehoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,292
insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default JR Smith's shot selection

Mike Woodson didn't like a lot of things about the New York Knicks' 99-93 loss to the Miami Heat on Sunday.

He had a problem with his team's second-half turnovers, third-quarter intensity and poor execution down the stretch.

But J.R. Smith's shot selection may have bothered Woodson the most.

Smith essentially shot the Knicks in the foot on Sunday by going just 2-for-11 in the second half. On the afternoon, Smith missed 13 of 18 shots, including 11 of his 14 3-point attempts.

"You canít take 18 shots and 14 shots are 3s. Thatís a bit much," Woodson said. "He's got to mix it up."

-- Reported by Ian Begley of ESPN New York
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Hopefullly "mixing it up" means giving the ball to someone better than him.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,708
franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

I have a problem with Woodson calling Jr out when he knows good and damn well part of the reason why he's taking poor shots is because woody puts him out there with guys who give us nothing offensively. You cant put him out there with Kidd, Prigioni, Novak, Shumpert etc and then ask why he's shooting so much.

I think all of us would agree his shot selection isn't always great but that's like asking your boy to be your getaway driver and then complaining about him speeding.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I have a problem with Woodson calling Jr out when he knows good and damn well part of the reason why he's taking poor shots is because woody puts him out there with guys who give us nothing offensively. You cant put him out there with Kidd, Prigioni, Novak, Shumpert etc and then ask why he's shooting so much.

I think all of us would agree his shot selection isn't always great but that's like asking your boy to be your getaway driver and then complaining about him speeding.
Wrong. The problem is Woodson giving way too him much leeway to run the offense and do whatever he wants. There are plenty of possessions when Carmelo and Amar'e are both on the floor, but JR is the only one to touch the ball. And Woodson's got him playing point guard when Kidd or Prigioni are on the court.

JR needs a leash.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,890
Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Scooter I dont think you mean Franchise is wrong but you disagree.

I think you both hit the nail on the head actually. Jr needs to be coached up and reigned in while he's on the floor by leaders of the team which I dont think happens on this team often enough.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

If I didn't think he was wrong, why would I disagree with him?
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Rameek
Krust Kingz
 
Rameek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo from Brooklyn
Posts: 6,890
Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
If I didn't think he was wrong, why would I disagree with him?
How can something be wrong when its opinion lol

1 + 1 = 2 fact..... 1 + 1 = 3 wrong

I think Scarlet Johansson is the hottest chick in the world...

No I think X is the hottest chick in the world.....

Disagreement

Sh!t except me pretty much everythingI say is like GOLD its a proven fact!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,708
franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Wrong. The problem is Woodson giving way too him much leeway to run the offense and do whatever he wants. There are plenty of possessions when Carmelo and Amar'e are both on the floor, but JR is the only one to touch the ball. And Woodson's got him playing point guard when Kidd or Prigioni are on the court.

JR needs a leash.
Wrong...yet you just mentioned 2 players that can't score...thus proving my point. I never said he doesn't have poor shot selection. In fact, I agree he needs to be on a leash. That being said, you can't say that and then not have players to whom he SHOULD be passing to.

Reminds me of a Jay-Z interview form back in the day. He was interviewing with some old guy who clearly was from the suburbs and they were talking about his troubled past as a drug dealer. The guy asked "so you say you were selling drugs since you were 13. Why did your mother never do anything to stop you?" Jay-Z responded by saying "It's hard to tell me to stop when I'm bringing home a large portion of the rent money."

JR Smith is best when you don't have to rely on him. When he can be a role player and a spark off the bench, he's awesome. That hasn't been the case as of late. As of late, he's been called upon to recover the wasted minutes we give to Kidd. Kidd may have been starting, but there's no doubt who our #1 shooting guard really is. It won't be any different with James White. Unless we can get some production out of Shumpert (as Rameek has said time and time again), to where we don't NEED JR to be a hero, he's going to continue to hoist up shots because he's our second best scorer...and he knows it.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Wrong...yet you just mentioned 2 players that can't score...thus proving my point. I never said he doesn't have poor shot selection. In fact, I agree he needs to be on a leash. That being said, you can't say that and then not have players to whom he SHOULD be passing to.
All you care about is scoring. The point is he shouldn't be playing point guard and pretending to run the offense when guys like Kidd and Prigioni are on the floor with him. And when he's on the court with Carmelo and Stoudemire, he should be the third option at best.

Quote:
Reminds me of a Jay-Z interview form back in the day. He was interviewing with some old guy who clearly was from the suburbs and they were talking about his troubled past as a drug dealer. The guy asked "so you say you were selling drugs since you were 13. Why did your mother never do anything to stop you?" Jay-Z responded by saying "It's hard to tell me to stop when I'm bringing home a large portion of the rent money."

JR Smith is best when you don't have to rely on him. When he can be a role player and a spark off the bench, he's awesome. That hasn't been the case as of late. As of late, he's been called upon to recover the wasted minutes we give to Kidd. Kidd may have been starting, but there's no doubt who our #1 shooting guard really is. It won't be any different with James White. Unless we can get some production out of Shumpert (as Rameek has said time and time again), to where we don't NEED JR to be a hero, he's going to continue to hoist up shots because he's our second best scorer...and he knows it.
JR Smith hoists up shots because he's allowed to by those who should be controlling him, and because it's the only thing he knows how to do. You act like there's some versatile, multi-capable basketball savant lurking under that blank, tattooed, the-step-back-jumper-is-the-best-shot-in-every-situation countenance. There isn't.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
franchize
"The Residential Pit"
 
franchize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,708
franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
All you care about is scoring. The point is he shouldn't be playing point guard and pretending to run the offense when guys like Kidd and Prigioni are on the floor with him. And when he's on the court with Carmelo and Stoudemire, he should be the third option at best.


JR Smith hoists up shots because he's allowed to by those who should be controlling him, and because it's the only thing he knows how to do. You act like there's some versatile, multi-capable basketball savant lurking under that blank, tattooed, the-step-back-jumper-is-the-best-shot-in-every-situation countenance. There isn't.
All I care about is scoring? Yet you called Mike D'Antoni to stay and I hated his guts from the moment we got him Oh the irony. And you ever think he brings up the ball when Kidd and Prigioni are in the game because they can't? Prigoni has no handle. When he's in the game and JR isn't, he still doesn't bring up the ball. Prigioni isn't good. He has no PG skills. Kidd can't run the point either. He can't penetrate. He's just a set shot shooter at this point. Furthermore, this thread is about "Jr Smith's shot selection." So why wouldn't I be talking about offense.

As for your 2nd quote, you're absolutely confusing me. Firstly, I agreed with you that his shot selection is poor. I never disagreed about that. All I said is, if you're Woodson, you need to find an alternative. It's fine if you want to stop him from shooting so many wild shots...but then you need to find another way to manufacture points. End of the day, people feel like geniuses when they place exra emphasis on defense but ultimately, the game is about having more points than your opponent. You can play all the defense you want. I LOVE tough nosed defensive teams. Ultimately, you still have to scre. Prigioni, Novak, Kidd, White, Thomas etc aren't giving you anything in that aspect.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: JR Smith's shot selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
All I care about is scoring? Yet you called Mike D'Antoni to stay and I hated his guts from the moment we got him Oh the irony. And you ever think he brings up the ball when Kidd and Prigioni are in the game because they can't? Prigoni has no handle. When he's in the game and JR isn't, he still doesn't bring up the ball. Prigioni isn't good. He has no PG skills. Kidd can't run the point either. He can't penetrate. He's just a set shot shooter at this point. Furthermore, this thread is about "Jr Smith's shot selection." So why wouldn't I be talking about offense.
Like I said, there's more to offense than just shooting.

Quote:
As for your 2nd quote, you're absolutely confusing me. Firstly, I agreed with you that his shot selection is poor. I never disagreed about that. All I said is, if you're Woodson, you need to find an alternative. It's fine if you want to stop him from shooting so many wild shots...but then you need to find another way to manufacture points. End of the day, people feel like geniuses when they place exra emphasis on defense but ultimately, the game is about having more points than your opponent. You can play all the defense you want. I LOVE tough nosed defensive teams. Ultimately, you still have to scre. Prigioni, Novak, Kidd, White, Thomas etc aren't giving you anything in that aspect.
You're all over the place here. It's impossible to argue if you won't provide a consistent position. At least we can both agree that Carmelo Anthony sucks.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy