Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

L3B120N J4M35 has decent reputationL3B120N J4M35 has decent reputation
Default Bulking Up for Basketball?

My arms are pretty small, so i want to get bigger for basketball. I am pretty toned but i want em bigger. so I'm currently doing p90x (only 3 days a week; Chest & Back Monday, Shoulders & Arms Wednesday, Legs & Back Friday whilst trying to eat a lot) removing all the cardio stuff considering im trying to bulk up. is that gonna help? any tips for bulking either?
L3B120N J4M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bulking Up for Basketball?

I too want more knowledge on this cause knowledge is power.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

P90x isn't gonna get you any appreciable amount of muscle mass unless you were a complete twig beforehand, even then there are much better ways to put on mass. Lift heavy weights and eat more. Also don't stop doing cardio, just eat more.

Source: I'm swole as fck
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I wouldn't worry about bulking up. I mean, there's nothing wrong with getting stronger, but you're better of focusing on plyometric training IMO.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

i wouldn't do P90x if i were you, you might end up more muscular but not necessarily stronger.

putting on good weight for basketball is tough because basketball is a sport that causes us to lose a relatively large % of your body mass (1-2%) every time we play. You can be in the gym all you want, at the end of the day its what you are eating. I know that sounds very cliché but its true.

first off, how old are you (if you dont wanna say your age, are you in HS, college etc.). Sometimes younger players take time to develop. I could never put any muscle on my arms, but as I progressed through college they naturally started to fill out so dont worry about it.

the one exercise that really put a lot of muscle on my arms and upper body in general is wide-grip pull-ups. if you can only do 2 or 3 at first, dont worry, i couldnt even do 1 at first lol. Just work at it, eventually if you can do it weighted, i GUARANTEE that you'll be a lot stronger in no time.

dont overtrain as well. mix up the intensity of your workouts, you have to allow your body to recover from the more intense workouts. I usually go

Monday (hard)
Tuesday (easy)
Wednesday Off
Thursday (medium)
Friday (intense)
Weekends OFF

then the next week i switch up which days i do the more intense workouts. This way im always confusing my body and it never has a chance to adjust, making every workout, even the easy ones, kind of difficult. This is just an example, if you play ball with a team I'd only do one intense workout and make sure there are two full days rest between the intense workouts and games. Try not to workout on gamedays, but if you must, do bodyweight exercises like pull ups and core work

hope i helped
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak is considered somewhat coolILLsmak is considered somewhat coolILLsmak is considered somewhat cool

The real question is WHY do you want to bulk up for bball?

What are you hoping to gain, how is it going to affect your game positively and negatively?

How much stronger do you think you can get?

Really, though... work on your mental toughness. I don't even know if it's possible, but mental toughness and love of contact mean more than strength.
I've played against big dudes... got stuck against them on a break or on a mismatch in the post, and they expect you to roll over. In their life just being big as **** mean they can go in for a lay up on a break and people move out of the way. But no, you need to NOT move out of the way. Practice boxing people out... Push them with your lower body, put your forearm into their side... etc.

In bball a lot of strength is about technique. Doing what you can. Sure, if you are gonna fight with people then maybe strength will matter, but if everyone is not on some crazy shit, you can get in there and bang with anyone no matter what size you are.

I imagine you are young; you'll fill out. I lifted for awhile seriously... and I saw some gains, but mostly it was confidence. now that I'm older, I don't need any more confidence. I'll bang with anyone. And most people don't like that. Most people get upset. Even in the NBA and NCAA people are afraid of contact. That's why guys like Reggie Evans who are just bruisers can get work.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

I dunno. I can run circles around myself from when I was younger due to lifting weights.

You lose nothing by lifting regularly. Just focus entirely on compound movements.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
My arms are pretty small, so i want to get bigger for basketball. I am pretty toned but i want em bigger. so I'm currently doing p90x (only 3 days a week; Chest & Back Monday, Shoulders & Arms Wednesday, Legs & Back Friday whilst trying to eat a lot) removing all the cardio stuff considering im trying to bulk up. is that gonna help? any tips for bulking either?

You could do away with the splits and isolation movements. A program built around the Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press, and Chin-Up (or any of its variations) will do wonders for you. The easiest thing to remember with regards to training for muscle mass is Time Under Tension. However, I think it should actually be Time Under Maximal/Sub-Maximal Tension. In other words, get a pump... With a heavy weight. Of course, make sure you are lifting with proper form and the weights aren't too heavy for you. Remember though, as an athlete, you also need to get stronger, so you have to add plates to the bar when you can.

There's more than enough information out there actually if you look and sift through well enough. Keep in mind though that IF you're playing ball at a competitive level, you won't want your muscle-building efforts to interfere with your sport/skill practice.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia ©

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

If you're a shooter, don't bulk up.
If you're a driver, bulk up.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
If you're a driver, bulk up.
And lose the speed in order to drive? No.

Get stronger for bball, but don't bulk up unless you're a big man.

Like someone else said, mental toughness, no fear of contact will manifest itself into a "stronger" player.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23

Like someone else said, mental toughness, no fear of contact will manifest itself into a "stronger" player.
I think every person's situation is unique but more times than not, I'd agree with what you said. I think it's always cool to look to improve strength, but I don't always equate flat out "bulk" with improving in basketball.

In truth, I'm 6'3'' 170 pounds and my lack of bulk has most often not been a detriment in any regard to my game. As you said, it's easier than people think to counteract a non-bulked frame with fearless aggression when attacking the basket. Basketball isn't always about raw strength. It's often about situational utilization of aggression, which can come from people of any size.

If someone's making a home in the post, or looking to make a real serious move in high level basketball (Division II or I college or mid-level pro ball and above) I think there will probably be a sharper emphasis on perhaps... bulk improvement. For most everyone else, I'm not sure I'd consider it a priority.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Bulk up for basketball?

If you want to destroy your knees, sure.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

I think your better off doing push pull or full body splits for basketball.

Ex,

Monday bench press, barbell row.

Tuesday, squats still leg dead lifts

Wed, off

Thursday, overhead press, pull ups

Friday core work,
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

L3B120N J4M35 has decent reputationL3B120N J4M35 has decent reputation

Thanks. I'm 15 years old, 5'7 and 121 lbs. I'm not too serious for basketball but i wanna look bigger and still maintain in shape for basketball
L3B120N J4M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
hamworld05
Can barely lace up my sneakers

hamworld05 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23

I'm with Money. Very few athletes' main problem is "lack of size". Actually, if the only issue with your game is "lack of size", you're probably pretty good already i.e Isaiah Thomas/Ty Lawson...

Improving relative strength is probably the most important thing here.
hamworld05 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: