Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
stephanieg
College superstar

Default Re: Durant's season is really underrated

It's underrated because it's hard to appreciate his game when he just flails his stick body everywhere and gets whistles.
stephanieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
He is not having a top 15 season and Lebron probably isnt having a top 5 season either. If you cant find 15 more dominant years between Kareems first 12, Jordans first 10, Shaq 94-02, Wilt on Philly, Magic from 87-91, Bird in his prime, and so on...you are just finding ways to act like those years dont count for one reason or another. Thats 40 years of crazy dominance and I left out Russell, Duncan, Moses Maone, and others.

If Drob had his 95 season, Lebron had his 2009, Jordan had his 92, and Shaq had his 2000 Durant and Lebron from right now....might combine for 10 first place votes. Durant likely getting none of them. They are 3 games back of first seed...which wouldnt help. Kareem probably has 2 non MVP seasons before 1978 on as high a level as anyone ever played.

Only way to rank them outside the elite is to pretty much say "It happened in 1973 so....whatever". And once you throw out long periods of time the idea of being top ____ doesnt matter anyway.

Lebron being so dominant.....while having a very good team...in the worse conference...not even having the best record in the league?

Its kinda odd. 14 game win streak so maybe they end up better...not that being on pace for 60-61 wins isnt great.

But I dont know how it compares to leading those Cavs teams to 66 and 61 or so while also putting up "WTF?" numbers.

Really...someone else has that Cavs team and leads them to 66 wins doing usual Lebron numbers while he has his current year....is the Cavs guy not winning MVP?

How would you not give it to him?
thats unfair saying they dont have the best record because they havent played as much games
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Top 15

We've seen this %'s before. He's not doing anything historic. Just doing it while scoring at a higher pace then Bird did when he did it.

If it weren't for his 14-20 FTA games whenever the Thunder are on national TV, he would just be duplicating Bird's 50/40/90 year.
Yea! Kevin Durant is barely better than this Larry Bird fellow.. what a chump
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Djahjaga
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
He is not having a top 15 season and Lebron probably isnt having a top 5 season either. If you cant find 15 more dominant years between Kareems first 12, Jordans first 10, Shaq 94-02, Wilt on Philly, Magic from 87-91, Bird in his prime, and so on...you are just finding ways to act like those years dont count for one reason or another. Thats 40 years of crazy dominance and I left out Russell, Duncan, Moses Maone, and others.

If Drob had his 95 season, Lebron had his 2009, Jordan had his 92, and Shaq had his 2000 Durant and Lebron from right now....might combine for 10 first place votes. Durant likely getting none of them. They are 3 games back of first seed...which wouldnt help. Kareem probably has 2 non MVP seasons before 1978 on as high a level as anyone ever played.

Only way to rank them outside the elite is to pretty much say "It happened in 1973 so....whatever". And once you throw out long periods of time the idea of being top ____ doesnt matter anyway.

Lebron being so dominant.....while having a very good team...in the worse conference...not even having the best record in the league?

Its kinda odd. 14 game win streak so maybe they end up better...not that being on pace for 60-61 wins isnt great.

But I dont know how it compares to leading those Cavs teams to 66 and 61 or so while also putting up "WTF?" numbers.

Really...someone else has that Cavs team and leads them to 66 wins doing usual Lebron numbers while he has his current year....is the Cavs guy not winning MVP?

How would you not give it to him?

What if Lebron ends up leading the Heat to another title this year over the Spurs/Thunder/Clippers(lol)?

Regular season wins are clearly less of a priority into today's NBA, where research has shown that the production of even the best of athletes is diminished by playing ungodly minutes. Lebron has led his team to the best record in his conference (which is all you really need), while matching a franchise record 14 straight wins, and has made them clear title favorites.

If they win, how is that not more dominant than the 08-09/09-10 Cavs? How many rings did Kareem lead his teams to with those dominant seasons in the first half of his career? D-Rob didn't win in 95. Same with Wilt before 67, which is when he had his most statistically dominant seasons.

tl;dr Regular season wins don't indicate dominance. Winning the f*cking title does.
Djahjaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
coin24
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
It's underrated because it's hard to appreciate his game when he just flails his stick body everywhere and gets whistles.

This
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
For real. If LeBron didn't exist these past couple seasons, he'd have 2 MVP's and probably a ring right now.

Durant now knows how Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Drexler, Miller, etc all felt now

Just born at the wrong time.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Durant is absolutely not having one of the 15 best seasons ever in my opinion. That shouldn't take away from how great he has been, but it's just not one of the 15 best mvp cases of all time.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

hes already great offensively. what he needs to distance himself from the others (minus lebron) is if he improves his defense and becomes lockdown defensively. at least to the point it bothers lebron. i thought westbrook was more successful on lebron than durant was last game, and that is just embarrassing.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djahjaga
....[snipped]....

tl;dr Regular season wins don't indicate dominance. Winning the f*cking title does.

Correction: the MVP vote is taken at the end of the regular season, not after the Finals.
Gotterdammerung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
Djahjaga
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
Correction: the MVP vote is taken at the end of the regular season, not after the Finals.

Yeah, I know that, thanks...

Kblaze's argument was that Lebron's season is overrated because the Heat aren't on some legendary pace to win a ridiculous number of games, that true dominance somehow lies in ripping through the regular season. I'm saying that, as long as they win the title, that's dominant enough to ensure Lebron a place in the top 10 best seasons ever.

Nothing to do with MVPs. I think it's clear Lebron is the favorite right now. I'm talking about his overall performance in the year, regular season and postseason. That matters more to me than how many games his team wins (as long as they win 55+ or get the one seed in their conference). And number of regular season wins hardly correlates to winning the title, especially recently, which is something I brought up in the quote that you "snipped."
Djahjaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Top 15

We've seen this %'s before. He's not doing anything historic. Just doing it while scoring at a higher pace then Bird did when he did it.

If it weren't for his 14-20 FTA games whenever the Thunder are on national TV, he would just be duplicating Bird's 50/40/90 year.
So Durant is replicating one of the top 5 GOAT best seasons shooting 50/40/90 while scoring a higher amount of PPG? Durant

We are witnesses.
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
PrettyCool
Banned

He's doing more with much less than Lebron.
PrettyCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
imnew09
2*/5

If it weren't for his swinging around his arm move, he would've been better.
imnew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
lebeast666
I Do This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyCool
He's doing more with much less than Lebron.

I don't know about that
lebeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
lebeast666
I Do This

and LeBron would've had more GOAT achievements if Boston's big 3 wasn't formed. Or if he had a greater cast like Durant had earlier in his career. Don't bring up 2011 situation because LeBron wasn't himself in the finals from all the scrutiny and pressure he had to handle.
lebeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: