Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default I'm back for some further criticism on my jump shot.

So once again I am back. Even though my jumper has been looking better throughout all the footage I have been taking of myself, it still feels inconsistent (some days it's lights out, and others I am just building brick houses). Mostly I have been working on elevation and having a proper base (also making sure that my knee doesn't buckle). If you aren't familiar with me or my progress here is a link to my past topic: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=276722.

Here is the video of my latest shoot-around:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrFA...ature=youtu.be

I'm mostly interested in how I could improve my base, how my form looks, any hitches I might have in my shot, and ways to build consistency. Also I would like to know exactly how you guys hold the ball in your shot pockets' (where you hold the ball before bringing it up), how you guys position your hands, how spread are your fingers (guide and shooting hand) and exactly how you bring the ball up (do you swing the pocket up? Do you just bring the pocket straight up? Does the pocket stay centered/right/left or does it move horizontally in any way on the way up?)

Also, the next time I hit the courts I am going to be working on speeding up my follow-through (extending my arm more quickly) and also flicking my wrist. Are these the things I should be working on? Sorry for all the questions, but I routinely tweak so many little elements of my jump shot all the time in search of my perfect form, and because of this, I am so inconsistent. I want to find the right state for each and every little element of my jump shot, and make sure they are correct so I could keep those variables static and attribute any further failure to what few dynamic variables I have left to correct.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
L3B120N J4M35
Decent playground baller

L3B120N J4M35 has decent reputationL3B120N J4M35 has decent reputation
Default Re: I'm back for some further criticism on my jump shot.

your jumpshot is a million times better. good job bro
L3B120N J4M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Permodius
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
your jumpshot is a million times better. good job bro

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Also, it feels good to know that my hard work is paying off.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

much better dude, your shot is almost automatic now

seems like you got a much quicker release as well. gotta put it to real time game action now
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

great work man, much more fluid and I bet its a lot more comfortable than before. Your shot is pretty smooth now. Make sure to keep your follow through nice and high sometimes your shot went flat and hit front rim. But other than that you made damn near every shot so id say its working

now work on 1 dribble and 2 dribble pullups.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Permodius
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
great work man, much more fluid and I bet its a lot more comfortable than before. Your shot is pretty smooth now. Make sure to keep your follow through nice and high sometimes your shot went flat and hit front rim. But other than that you made damn near every shot so id say its working

now work on 1 dribble and 2 dribble pullups.

Any advice on the foot work? I feel ten times more comfortable doing a pullup jumper off of my left-handed dribble, but it feels so odd trying it with my right hand dribble.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Any advice on the foot work? I feel ten times more comfortable doing a pullup jumper off of my left-handed dribble, but it feels so odd trying it with my right hand dribble.

well you are right handed. so when you are dribbling left your last two steps should be "right foot-left foot". Going right it should be "left foot-right foot"

I am going to guess why, I'm really not sure without seeing you do it but I am assuming that your jab foot is always your right foot? If so to go to your left you bring your right foot across your body on your first step. But when you go right you use the the same foot?

Shooting off the dribble from the triple threat and off the catch are a little different. So this might sound complicated.

It is easier for me going left too because I'm also right handed. When I take my first step and dribble I've essentially already taken my first "plant step". Therefore all I need to do to take a pull up is plant my left foot and shoot.

Now think about going right. You always want to take the least amount of steps. So, when you go right with your right foot leading and take a dribble, remember you want to plant "left foot-right foot". So when you dribble your right foot is down, that means, unlike going left, you have to take TWO steps to get the right foot work, so it feels different.

There is no right way to deal with this but like I said before shooting off the dribble off the catch and from a stand still are a little different to me.

Off the catch If I'm going to go right I bring my left foot across my body for my first step. I usually will have my right foot slightly forward and push off hard off of my left foot to explode into that first step. Likewise if I'm going to go left, I have my left foot slightly forward and push off my right foot and bring it across my body for my first step.

So think about it this way. Say a defender is face you. to go left you take YOUR right foot and step outside HIS right foot (on your left hand side). If you can do this quickly you have in essence already beaten him AND your leg will actually be shielding the ball (if you are low enough) and he can't strip you.

I know that's a lot to process but I will tell the most perfect practice tool for this skill: a chair. Try it out and you'll instantly see what I mean if you don't understand what I'm saying.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Permodius
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
well you are right handed. so when you are dribbling left your last two steps should be "right foot-left foot". Going right it should be "left foot-right foot"

I am going to guess why, I'm really not sure without seeing you do it but I am assuming that your jab foot is always your right foot? If so to go to your left you bring your right foot across your body on your first step. But when you go right you use the the same foot?

Shooting off the dribble from the triple threat and off the catch are a little different. So this might sound complicated.

It is easier for me going left too because I'm also right handed. When I take my first step and dribble I've essentially already taken my first "plant step". Therefore all I need to do to take a pull up is plant my left foot and shoot.

Now think about going right. You always want to take the least amount of steps. So, when you go right with your right foot leading and take a dribble, remember you want to plant "left foot-right foot". So when you dribble your right foot is down, that means, unlike going left, you have to take TWO steps to get the right foot work, so it feels different.

There is no right way to deal with this but like I said before shooting off the dribble off the catch and from a stand still are a little different to me.

Off the catch If I'm going to go right I bring my left foot across my body for my first step. I usually will have my right foot slightly forward and push off hard off of my left foot to explode into that first step. Likewise if I'm going to go left, I have my left foot slightly forward and push off my right foot and bring it across my body for my first step.

So think about it this way. Say a defender is face you. to go left you take YOUR right foot and step outside HIS right foot (on your left hand side). If you can do this quickly you have in essence already beaten him AND your leg will actually be shielding the ball (if you are low enough) and he can't strip you.

I know that's a lot to process but I will tell the most perfect practice tool for this skill: a chair. Try it out and you'll instantly see what I mean if you don't understand what I'm saying.

Thanks a lot. You were spot on about the reason why it felt wrong for me. I am leading with my right foot regardless of which hand I dribble with. I'm definitely gonna try all of this out the next time I hit the courts.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Thanks a lot. You were spot on about the reason why it felt wrong for me. I am leading with my right foot regardless of which hand I dribble with. I'm definitely gonna try all of this out the next time I hit the courts.

no problem. the key is to do it slowly and work your way up to game speed.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: