Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Jameerthefear
Banned

Default Some advice for a track runner?

I dont usually make threads about my personal life, but I have my first meet even on Friday and I'm a bit nervous.
I run distance, and plan to do a 400m in the race. Any tips on pacing, getting overthe nervousness, etc would be great
Thanks.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Some advice for a track runner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
I dont usually make threads about my personal life, but I have my first meet even on Friday and I'm a bit nervous.
I run distance, and plan to do a 400m in the race. Any tips on pacing, getting overthe nervousness, etc would be great
Thanks.

I used to run 400s and it took me a little time to figure out pacing, because it is a little different for everybody. First, do you have any idea what your estimated time will be? 2nd, how old are you? I ask this question trying to figure out your physical maturity. I ran 50 second 400s and my pacing looked like this: 90% effort for the 1st 100m, then long relaxed strides for the next 150m (about 80% speed and most of my concentration was on breathing slow and relaxed), and 100% for the last 150m (once your muscles stiffin and you feel like dying, make sure you pump your arms, the instinct is to let them wobble which kills your form).

As for anxiety, it is natural. Leading up to your race, you will probably go back and forth between feeling pumped and feeling exhausted. The trick is to figure out what the timing of your adrenaline does as it goes up and down, which you likely won't figure out for several races, but if you pay attention now, you can hopefully learn faster. Once you are in the blocks, just breathe deep, slow, and relaxed. Once the gun goes, your adrenaline should kick in and do its job.

Hope that helps.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I used to run 400s and it took me a little time to figure out pacing, because it is a little different for everybody. First, do you have any idea what your estimated time will be? 2nd, how old are you? I ask this question trying to figure out your physical maturity. I ran 50 second 400s and my pacing looked like this: 90% effort for the 1st 100m, then long relaxed strides for the next 150m (about 80% speed and most of my concentration was on breathing slow and relaxed), and 100% for the last 150m (once your muscles stiffin and you feel like dying, make sure you pump your arms, the instinct is to let them wobble which kills your form).

As for anxiety, it is natural. Leading up to your race, you will probably go back and forth between feeling pumped and feeling exhausted. The trick is to figure out what the timing of your adrenaline does as it goes up and down, which you likely won't figure out for several races, but if you pay attention now, you can hopefully learn faster. Once you are in the blocks, just breathe deep, slow, and relaxed. Once the gun goes, your adrenaline should kick in and do its job.

Hope that helps.
Thanks that was very helpful.
I'm 14 a freshman, and I'll probably have my time tomorrow. I was supposed to run 800m but they changed me to 400 on this relay (i'll probably be running 800 in the future).
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
Thanks that was very helpful.
I'm 14 a freshman, and I'll probably have my time tomorrow. I was supposed to run 800m but they changed me to 400 on this relay (i'll probably be running 800 in the future).

In that case I would save the 100% for the last 100 to 125m rather than 150, and maybe go back to 90% from the 250 to 300m marks. But I am shooting in the dark a bit, so I would suggest talking to your coaches too based on what they have seen from you. I know my first 400m was terrible because I got terrible advice (was told go 100% the whole time from people who I figured out they had no idea what they were talking about).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
In that case I would save the 100% for the last 100 to 125m rather than 150, and maybe go back to 90% from the 250 to 300m marks. But I am shooting in the dark a bit, so I would suggest talking to your coaches too based on what they have seen from you. I know my first 400m was terrible because I got terrible advice (was told go 100% the whole time from people who I figured out they had no idea what they were talking about).
yeah mmy coach was telling me similar things to what your telling me now.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
imnew09
2*/5

I ran long distance for a while and switched back to 100/200ms because I didn't have enough condition to pace myself for the 800m/1600m. From experience, I usually go out 80% on my first round, then push up the tempo a bit in the second round, and then I would go all out on the last 200m. Just remember to pace yourself by knowing your time/limit.

For anxiety, I would say drink tons of water and make sure to take a crap before hand. Good luck, let us know how you did!
imnew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnew09
I ran long distance for a while and switched back to 100/200ms because I didn't have enough condition to pace myself for the 800m/1600m. From experience, I usually go out 80% on my first round, then push up the tempo a bit in the second round, and then I would go all out on the last 200m. Just remember to pace yourself by knowing your time/limit.

For anxiety, I would say drink tons of water and make sure to take a crap before hand. Good luck, let us know how you did!
Sorry to bump but thanks for the advice and I will
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: