Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: If you make around $10,000, congrats, you are richer than 70% of the PLANET.

Nah. Works in recieving at target. Might make 9 an hour. Cheap 1 room apartment. You can get a 360 for like 70 bucks. Laptop a couple hundred. He drives an 08 Impala hes paying his parents back for(he had an old Toyota before that).

He does fine. Doesnt blow money. It really isnt that hard.

I lived on my own washing cars for Toyota at one point. I worked retail back when minimum wage was 5 and change in the 90s.

As the Architect on the Matrix said "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept".

I dont need 75% of the shit I have now.

I have a room in my second house I had a serious conversation about turning into a ****ing ball pit for the kids in my family. Do you know what ball pit balls cost? I do. They are sold by the cubic yard and you can spend 3 racks and barely have any....
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: If you make around $10,000, congrats, you are richer than 70% of the PLANET.

No sh!t it's enough for one person. But when we're talking about a family, $10,000 is too little.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thanks, Obama.
kNIOKAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Considering that more than half of the world lives on less than $2 a day, I would think that stat is adjusted for cost of living. I expected the number to be closer to 97-99%, assuming it was not adjusted for cost of living.

Do you have a link, by the way?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Rubio2Gasol has decent reputation

That doesn't account for the relative cost of goods and services in different countries (cost of services usually fluctuate in different economies). In a general sense American poor isn't akin to absolute poverty, but relative poverty is a serious issue.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Naaaaaaah. I know people making a tad over minimum wage at Target who have apartments, a car, two big screens, a laptop, a 360, cable, a galaxy note 2, and eat pretty well.

American poor isnt that poor.....
Sometimes, I think about a relatively recent year at random - say, 1956. Then I think about what someone on a $10,000/year salary in 2013 could probably afford to buy and own over the course of a few years in modern day. You mentioned the apartment, the car, big screen TV's, a laptop, a 360, and more.

I then think back to 1956 and imagine how lavish that 2013 lifestyle would seem if we pasted it back then. Comfortable living quarters likely with fully functional heat (and possibly AC), a device that sits in one's lap and provides instantaneous information and entertainment on anything in the entire world, a car that may be prone to breaking down but still surpasses any technological advances in '56, an incredible gaming device, and giant theatre-simulation HD color televisions.

I know the premise is ridiculous, but if Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous existed in '56 and they went to someone's apartment that featured all of the modern aspects mentioned above, many folks would have watched that episode bug-eyed and said, "My god, if I had even one of those things, I'd be set for life." Yet, in reality, people never had virtually any of those things until the past decade or two... and they survived and thrived without them.

It's interesting how, somehow, someway, we as a culture tend to seamlessly adapt to new things, then accept them as being normal, and eventually decide that it's not enough. And I do not say that as a holier-than-thou accusation. I am guilty of doing the same. But I do think about this idea a lot. What do we really need? And is it not fascinating how we tend to mold our wants, expectations, and needs seamlessly higher and higher with each new technological advance?

If nothing else, that scenario makes me feel a little better about not being rich. I think, people were just as happy (if not more so) with less to have and buy in the past. As long as I can be at a point where I can afford life necessities, it's comforting to know I will likely be alright. And if I earn more, it's a bonus.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-06-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

if you live in a 3rd world country and make 10K a year, sure no problem, you gonna live real well

the problem is if you work at mcdonalds in a non 3rd world, you gonna need roommates and won't be able to save up any kinda money to get outa the hood. get that education and work your way up to an office job, then you can become a slave to the system
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #23
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
That doesn't account for the relative cost of goods and services in different countries.
How do you know this? OP hasn't even provided a link.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #24
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

i've met some backpackers who said they were only spending $15 a day while traveling around poor countries. that whole cost includes food, shelter, transportation, everything. if backpackers can survive on that minimal amount, surely, the locals can do it for even less. cost of living is just so drastically different for third world.

people talk about wealth gap between the rich and poor from overall rich nations. but the wealth gap between rich and poor nations in the world is pretty startling too.

many americans retire outside of the US to get the most out of their retirement fund.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
i've met some backpackers who said they were only spending $15 a day while traveling around poor countries. that whole cost includes food, shelter, transportation, everything. if backpackers can survive on that minimal amount, surely, the locals can do it for even less. cost of living is just so drastically different for third world.

people talk about wealth gap between the rich and poor from overall rich nations. but the wealth gap between rich and poor nations in the world is pretty startling too.

many americans retire outside of the US to get the most out of their retirement fund.

sE Asia being one of the premier hotspots for expats.

Anyways if you're all feeling poor remember this question
How much would it take for u to give up your eyesight your hearing your wealth your knowledge your friendships etc?
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: