Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Le Poopoo

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation
Default tear drop/floater

Is this shot one of the more spectacular shots in the game and yet it looks very fundamental and it is not as taught as much as it should be.

This shot is like the sky hook for smaller players. Effective but fewer players use it.

There are videos out there on youtube and else where that teach it but superficially though....

being a geometry geek I appreciate it (alon with the bank shot a la Duncan) because it relies on calculated positioning and timing.

Thoughts?

Note to Mods: should this thread be in "street ball Forum"?

Last edited by 9512 : 01-26-2012 at 11:47 AM.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
ChrisPosh
♕ James

ChrisPosh has decent reputationChrisPosh has decent reputation
Default Re: tear drop/floater

ChrisPosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

Kevin_Gamble has decent reputationKevin_Gamble has decent reputation

I like it but I always thought of it as more of a surprise shot that guys like Mark Jackson have to use because otherwise they get blocked. Nowadays it's so easy to get a FT for guards there's no reason to use it anymore in the NBA I think.
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
I.R.Beast
National High School Star

I.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong wayI.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Is this shot one of the more spectacular shots in the game and yet it looks very fundamental and it is not as taught as much as it should be.

This shot is like the sky hook for smaller players. Effective but fewer players use it.

There are videos out there on youtube and else where that teach it but superficially though....

being a geometry geek I appreciate it (alon with the bank shot a la Duncan) because it relies on calculated positioning and timing.

Thoughts?

it's a big part of my game...it's a shot i feel every guard should have regardless of height. I use the tony parker floater, the marbury baby hook floater. the chris paul floater, freethrow line running floater and the d rose spin pivot floater...very unstoppable shots if you master them, also very gorgeous too, i throw them up there. pretty high.
I.R.Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
AngelEyes
Sentenza

AngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512

Thoughts?

I don't agree with this at all. The skyhook is a great shot because a guy like Abdul Jabbar can get an open look at the basket any time he attempts the shot. The tear drop is much lower percentage shot. The player has to have the right kind of touch to pull off a shot like this and when it is shot it's usually over much larger players in traffic.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've never been able to get the tear drop just right. I'm a better 3-pt shooter than a tear drop shooter. I've always respected a guy's game if he's managed to pull this off without making it look like a forced shot attempt, but I don't try it in pick-up games whatsoever.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
I.R.Beast
National High School Star

I.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong wayI.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
I've never been able to get the tear drop just right. I'm a better 3-pt shooter than a tear drop shooter. I've always respected a guy's game if he's managed to pull this off without making it look like a forced shot attempt, but I don't try it in pick-up games whatsoever.
practice in pick up games. i can do floaters right the rim driving baseline wehn guys expect a reversejust throw that baby straight up in the air, drops in all net.
I.R.Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

There's a reason it's not used much: it's just an efficient shot. It's very situational. When used well it's excellent.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I agree with bits and pieces of what each poster has said up to this point. I find the tear drop very situational and tough to master, as mentioned. This means I haven't found it to be a very good allocation of practice time amongst an entire team. It's a shot that's worth developing on an individual basis though. Certain players can utilize this shot very effectively. And like any move, it's great to add to the arsenal.

I also agree that it tends to be a lower percentage shot. Players can become very adept at them, but when it comes down to it, ten out of ten players would prefer to not shoot a floater if they didn't have to. Again, it's fun to master, and there's players out there who can get that touch just right, but it's inherently a more complicated shot than a pull-up jumper or layup.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

what about a running floater, it's much easier than trying to underhand lay up in traffic
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

its one of the hardest shots to make, for sure
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
CeltsGarlic
Dos Santos

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I remember one of the best shots I ever made was a lefty floater. I remember it was like 1 min in the 4q left, score was +2. I got the ball cutting to the basket, and it just naturally felt to shoot a lefty tear drop. I was good with my left but somehow never attempted a lefty floater. It was all net. We still lost the game
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

i don't consider tear drops normal shots really, not like a hook or up and under even. they take a ton of touch while your body momentum is moving forward and a lot of times its about arc so they take more touch than most other shots imo. that is why i don't think it could really ever be taught to masses, the players that use them regularly are somewhat unique in that a lot of other players don't and can't w/o bricking them, and probably would take forever for them to master on a level of someone like TP.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
CeltsGarlic
Dos Santos

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The one thing you can always try is absolutely spectacular, but requires some athleticism. When you jump to do floater, quickly in the air change hands for lay up. Sounds way harder then it is. Its quite easy but looks amazing.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's effective againts players who are 6'4" and above. You need to be quick, and accurate if you attempt this move.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 03-08-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: