Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
methusala
Serious playground baller
 
methusala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 492
methusala is popular on this boardmethusala is popular on this boardmethusala is popular on this boardmethusala is popular on this board
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
I need a daily driver


Bit worried about the maintenance needs of any 20 years old mid-90s cars (though they were great cars).

Especially a rotary.

If you don't like the lag of the 335i, you won't like the Evo. STI maybe thanks to its higher displacement but its still a 2.5 flat 4.

Sounds like torque is your #1, so something with a V8 will be your way to go, esp if the Z wasn't enough.

Personally I'd get an HR Z, slap on a Nismo exhaust and give my ears daily orgasms.
methusala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
nek1477
1 life, 1 love
 
nek1477's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 266
nek1477 has decent reputation
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?


my 06' 350z, one of the best car i have ever own, payed 12k cash, with 60k miles 2 years ago
nek1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
DuMa
Canned
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32,335
DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

a true sports car is not a car with gobs of torque. in that case you want a muscle car or a GT.

a true sports car is a car u can toss around with just the right amount of power and you can push it to the limits while being able to recover at the same time.

s2000/brz/fr-s are your only options if you crave a true 'sports car'
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek1477

my 06' 350z, one of the best car i have ever own, payed 12k cash, with 60k miles 2 years ago

Sick deal. No oil consumption issues?
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by methusala
Especially a rotary.

If you don't like the lag of the 335i, you won't like the Evo. STI maybe thanks to its higher displacement but its still a 2.5 flat 4.

Sounds like torque is your #1, so something with a V8 will be your way to go, esp if the Z wasn't enough.

Personally I'd get an HR Z, slap on a Nismo exhaust and give my ears daily orgasms.


I bet I will.

The lady and I were laughing like lunatics after I raped that 2007 350z. Never turned the radio on and probably should have went to jail after the test drive, but we loved it. However, the car was a 120k mile kid car that was very ragged out.

The 03 didn't leave me feeling the same way as the 07 Z. I'm definitely going to look for a well kept 07+ 350z with 50k or less miles, 6 spd, with 18"s.

I'll still give the hideous Vette & GTO's a drive and definitely an M3 (but that starts stretching higher than 20k + bmw maintenance costs)


The lack of initial torque/turbo lag in the 335i just drove me nuts. I found an empty neighborhood development with lots of twisties and couldn't fall in love with that small gap in throttle activity with the BMW.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
a true sports car is not a car with gobs of torque. in that case you want a muscle car or a GT.

a true sports car is a car u can toss around with just the right amount of power and you can push it to the limits while being able to recover at the same time.

s2000/brz/fr-s are your only options if you crave a true 'sports car'



478hp, 425ftlbs tq

Last edited by Cowboy Thunder : 03-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #22
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,620
johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?



My car. It's a 2000 convertible (obviously) with all the bells and whistles for that year, including heads-up display and selective handling. Bought it with 40k miles for I think it was $18k or 19. I still like it, but if you're thinking about going this direction be warned about the cheap interior falling apart and the electronic gremlins/world's shittiest onboard computer. Frustrating stuff but it doesn't detract from the performance.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen


My car. It's a 2000 convertible (obviously) with all the bells and whistles for that year, including heads-up display and selective handling. Bought it with 40k miles for I think it was $18k or 19. I still like it, but if you're thinking about going this direction be warned about the cheap interior falling apart and the electronic gremlins/world's shittiest onboard computer. Frustrating stuff but it doesn't detract from the performance.

I really have no doubt the Vette will meet every criteria I have set in place.

And the 350z interior is no bread winner....



I'd just have to come to terms with being a vette owner. My mind has been programmed into thinking that is a bad thing/compensation car.
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,620
johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
I really have no doubt the Vette will meet every criteria I have set in place.

And the 350z interior is no bread winner....



I'd just have to come to terms with being a vette owner. My mind has been programmed into thinking that is a bad thing/compensation car.
Did I read that you are looking for this car to be your daily driver as well? If so, do NOT buy a Vette. Under any circumstances.

I'm 6'3", and it's a pain to get into and out of, it's so low to the ground that even going off your driveway makes you cringe, it's loud, it's finicky, etc. etc. Car was not designed to be driven to pick up groceries and shouldn't be. I put maybe 2-3k miles on mine per year, tops.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #25
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pauk's essay
Posts: 4,321
Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

You can get an 2003-2006 M3 or M5 at 70-80k miles, but gotta look hard. My bros friend got a 2005 M5 with 70k miles for 17 thousand. That thing was a beast and had exhausts that sounded like a supercar.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #26
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Did I read that you are looking for this car to be your daily driver as well? If so, do NOT buy a Vette. Under any circumstances.

I'm 6'3", and it's a pain to get into and out of, it's so low to the ground that even going off your driveway makes you cringe, it's loud, it's finicky, etc. etc. Car was not designed to be driven to pick up groceries and shouldn't be. I put maybe 2-3k miles on mine per year, tops.

Def needs to be a daily.


Despite the creature pains, I know the LS(x) would probably be the least problematic (& cheapest/responsive to mods)sports car engine I could own....
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #27
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
You can get an 2003-2006 M3 or M5 at 70-80k miles, but gotta look hard. My bros friend got a 2005 M5 with 70k miles for 17 thousand. That thing was a beast and had exhausts that sounded like a supercar.

Maintenance costs are the only thing that worries me with the bmws
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #28
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,620
johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
Def needs to be a daily.
Well if you want my $0.02, buying a (true) sports car for your daily driver is a really, really, really bad idea, for a ton of reasons, and quite frankly my recommendation would be to not do it at all.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence
 
Cowboy Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ...smells good man
Posts: 4,525
Cowboy Thunder has not been impressing people
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Well if you want my $0.02, buying a (true) sports car for your daily driver is a really, really, really bad idea, for a ton of reasons, and quite frankly my recommendation would be to not do it at all.

Been going too long making good decisions; I'm due for a bad one.

Had slow cars all my life and need to wreckshop before a family comes.


Bought the house, now time to buy a rocket
Cowboy Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #30
Just2McFly
By Any Means
 
Just2McFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,462
Just2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Sports car for around $20k?

dude, just get a used evo or wrx and call it a day...drive those and choose. they are the perfect go between
Just2McFly is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy