Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garubu

Your username sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce "grab," which makes your contribution all the better.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #32
imnew09
2*/5

imnew09 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayimnew09 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

I can't believe this thread is still going. Those who agree with OP never played ball in real life.
imnew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
garubu
Kids at the park dunk on me

garubu has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
Your username sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce "grab," which makes your contribution all the better.

Thank you sir, here is another one by the Mcgee.

garubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #34
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why doesn't everyone jump from the free throw line and dunk every possession?
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #35
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

You can't always grab it, but players should definitely learn to do light blocks, taps so maybe they can grab it on the way down or tap it to a teammate. There are some blocks that get swatted into the stands where it could've been caught or tapped to themselves. I do love a big swat though good way to get the crowd into the game.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #36
KembaWalker
Great young streetballer

KembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this board

It's more so an intimidation factor too. What's more intimidating, "guiding the ball down with your hand" as someone accurately explained, or swatting the s*** out of it into the stands. Must players who get absolutely swatted would tend to think twice about driving into the paint when that shot-blocker is there, or taking a jump-shot. That's just how I view it.

I'm sure some of the elite shit-blockers could grab a shot out of mid air, depends on their hand size and how quick the shots going. But yeah swatting it away makes the offensive player think twice
KembaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

It's hard to grab the ball.

It's easier to just swat it.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #38
MMKM
Local High School Star

MMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputationMMKM has a bad reputation

Another "why dont they" question.....

WHY DONT HOCKEY TEAMS find an incredibly obese person to be goalie? Seriously, the goal isnt that big. You take someone who is like 700 lbs, put all those pads on them and lay them on their back in front of the goal theyd take up like 99% of the air space to squeeze a puck through.

Never understood why that hasnt been done
MMKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #39
Ne 1
College superstar

Ne 1 is a pretty well-respected posterNe 1 is a pretty well-respected posterNe 1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd
Good info. This thread pretty much proves my point that people are set in their ways and refuse to think outside the box.

Any suggestion of something a little unorthodox and people jump all over it saying it doesn't work, when it has worked and I've seen it work.

I just think it needs to be used more.

Ne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #40
bigt
Great young streetballer

bigt has an OK reputation so far

I think a bit part of it is reflexs. Most block opportunities are pretty reactionary, so they go by instinct, which is to block. To do it consistently would require you to basically train yourself to look at every block opportunity as a catch opportunity, otherwise instinct kicks in. You'll notice most of the GIF's/vids used here as examples (The McGee one is the exception) the person blocking/catching has an extra bit of time to read the play because of where the shot it taken relative to where they are. They've had time to think 'block, nah I can grab this'

It's also worth noting how embarrassing it would likely look if you flubbed the catch, if you're near the basket at all and you lose control there's a fair chance an opposing player can get it and fire off an easy layup or something. The swat at least lets the defense reset if they can't take possession.
bigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #41
AT9
I hit open 5-footers

AT9 has no real reputation yet.

1. It's really hard to do.
2. Swatting a shot hard has a lot of benefits. If some guy sends my shot out of bounds, will I be shooting near him anytime soon? Probably not. The emphatic statement and intimidation that comes from a hard swat is worth about as much as a turnover, IMO.
AT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #42
NBASTATMAN
NBA sixth man of the year

NBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryNBASTATMAN posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyceps33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISDKqmkFbk

He needed some help from the glass but still impressive.
NBASTATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #43
bmd
Local High School Star

bmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected posterbmd is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnew09
I can't believe this thread is still going. Those who agree with OP never played ball in real life.
Then explain to me the multiple gifs and videos that people have posted of players doing exactly as I was talking about?

I'm simply saying I think centers should do this more, and actually practice it so that it becomes more natural instead of just something they just freestyled in a game one day.
bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #44
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

even the best shot blockers in the league average around 2 blocks per game.. they'd be HAPPY to get even a regular block.. why do you think they have the time and skills to try to grab the ball?
in the flow of the game.. they just trying to get even their fingers on the ball, bro

there are occasions, like when the offensive player does a soft layup where it is possible to grab it. but that happens once in a blue moon, and when that happens, you want to embarass that player instead by swatting it out of bounds.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #45
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd
Then explain to me the multiple gifs and videos that people have posted of players doing exactly as I was talking about?

I'm simply saying I think centers should do this more, and actually practice it so that it becomes more natural instead of just something they just freestyled in a game one day.
it does happen in the flow of the game sometimes.. where it's so obvious and natural the players do it without even having to intent to. most of the time, blocks are out of reach, you extend your arms as far as you can, and you can only get part of the ball.

but how about you show us some videos where the player blocked it, and you think it's possible to grab it?
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: