Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

Default Random thought of the day: Remember when there was a basketball change in 2006?

NBA started the 06-07 season with a new game ball. Tons of players started to complain about it & it went back with the old ball within a month.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
red1
Dinosaurs

Default Re: Random thought of the day: Remember when there was a basketball change in 2006?

Yeah they changed the material the ball was made of and everyone complained. Shit was funny
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

Default Re: Random thought of the day: Remember when there was a basketball change in 2006?

I read it felt super slick and some guys, said it like cut his fingers
HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
elementally morale
College superstar

Luke Walton was shooting an extremely high percentage with that ball as far as I can remember.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Peteballa
Go Gators

I actually have that ball. My dad bought two of them before they stopped making them. I actually have one of them next to me right now (I use one of them indoors, and the other one I kept in the box). It doesn't feel bad, but I can understand why they didn't like it. It's very different feeling.
Peteballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

A weird moment in NBA history. They also were sometimes prone to absolutely dying on the back rim before squibbing into the hoop.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
NoGunzJustSkillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteballa
I actually have that ball. My dad bought two of them before they stopped making them. I actually have one of them next to me right now (I use one of them indoors, and the other one I kept in the box). It doesn't feel bad, but I can understand why they didn't like it. It's very different feeling.
I think some of the players said it was cutting up their hands or something along those lines.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Gilbert Arenas holds the record for most points with that ball at 60.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Dbrog
National High School Star

CP could do some absolutely sick moves with that ball!
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
che guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
A weird moment in NBA history. They also were sometimes prone to absolutely dying on the back rim before squibbing into the hoop.
Rip Hamilton had a halfcourt heave with that ball that hit the back of the rim, and instead of bricking off, it gently plopped into the hoop. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
monkeypox

Yeah I remember players with tape on their fingers to keep the ball from cutting their finger tips up. Definitely one of the dumber moves in NBA history. Making a big change like that without testing it out first with players. NBA players play at a different level than a lab.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

I owned one of those balls. Actually still have it. Best ball I've ever owned. Haven't used it in a while though.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Djahjaga
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by che guevara
Rip Hamilton had a halfcourt heave with that ball that hit the back of the rim, and instead of bricking off, it gently plopped into the hoop. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube.

Damn, I didn't realize it affected the game that severely.
Djahjaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Indian guy
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

This happened a lot, in fact. That ball just bounced weirdly after hitting the rim. We probably saw more rattle-ins that season than the 6 seasons combined since.
Indian guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by che guevara
That's the one I was thinking of but I could not find it on YouTube at first glance. It happened other times as well, but that was the most prominent. It was the type of bounce you can usually only yield if you were using one of those cheap rubber basketballs on an indoor hoop.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: