Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,870
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
But reincarnation is not a theory, correct?

That can definitely be proven. Gotcha.
it isn't to NDEers...but yes to the rest of us it is a theory

why do you have that avy again?
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,566
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
When you go to sleep each night, there are large portions of time during which you are not dreaming; therefore, essentially you are as unconscious of your existence as if you were dead. I anticipate that death will be exactly like that.


Your autonomic nervous system is working while you're asleep, otherwise your body would shut down. Just because you may or may not be dreaming your brain is still very active and functioning on many levels.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #33
pauk
NBA Legend
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,667
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Your brain shuts down making it scientificially impossible for you to know/feel anything going on (with other words, nothing like sleeping), you seize to exist, your body starts to decompose.... and so on...

I know its hard for many humans to accept and would wish upon something else, but its like this.... dont be silly now... this is your only life, live everyday like its your last... just in case... because that ideology is more logical than anything else...
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #34
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 13,010
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
it isn't to NDEers...but yes to the rest of us it is a theory

why do you have that avy again?
Most NDEers are religious in some way to begin with, and they come out thinking whatever they grew up on is 'real'

Usually meaning 'heaven'

Where do you get reincarnation out of this?

They usually come out thinking that when you die they will enter some magical place with all their dead relatives and friends, not be reincarnated as another earth bound human.

Your argument falls flat
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #35
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,870
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Your brain shuts down making it scientificially impossible for you to know/feel anything going on, you seize to exist

again...it has been shown that people still have a consciousness without brain waves
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #36
Patrick Chewing
New Jack Hustler
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,395
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
The brain goes, we go.

Just like it was before you were born. Do you remember anything before you were born? .

But the problem with your argument lies with the fact that before I was born, I was nothing. I cannot go back in time and ponder what it was like before I was born since I did not exist. What I can do is while I'm alive, is ponder the existence of man and look at facts and read up on history, and it undoubtedly leaves me to believe that this just didn't all happen by happenstance. There was cause and reason. I truly believe that the moment you find cause and reason, it will be the moment that you truly cherish life and understand that it will always continue.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,870
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Most NDEers are religious in some way to begin with, and they come out thinking whatever they grew up on is 'real'

Usually meaning 'heaven'

Where do you get reincarnation out of this?

They usually come out thinking that when you die they will enter some magical place with all their dead relatives and friends, not be reincarnated as another earth bound human.

Your argument falls flat
no, you just made that up...people NDE of all types...religious, athiest...everything

most religious people come back LESS RELIGIOUS...in fact there is one case of a minister having and NDE and then dropping his religion right after


everyone that has one goes through the same things...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,870
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Primetime ain't gonna go gracefully. Death gonna take him kickin and screamin.
*flexes arm like Macho Man*
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #39
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends
 
Kobe 4 The Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 2,199
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Your momma cries, your girlfreind f**ks some other guy(for comfort), and your friends go through your stuff. You better make sure your porn is well hidden son.
Kobe 4 The Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #40
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,870
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
But the problem with your argument lies with the fact that before I was born, I was nothing. I cannot go back in time and ponder what it was like before I was born since I did not exist. What I can do is while I'm alive, is ponder the existence of man and look at facts and read up on history, and it undoubtedly leaves me to believe that this just didn't all happen by happenstance. There was cause and reason. I truly believe that the moment you find cause and reason, it will be the moment that you truly cherish life and understand that it will always continue.
this was very well said, good post

I believe you did exist before you were born, but still a good post...the big bang didn't just happen on it's own...we made it happen
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #41
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 13,010
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
But the problem with your argument lies with the fact that before I was born, I was nothing. I cannot go back in time and ponder what it was like before I was born since I did not exist. What I can do is while I'm alive, is ponder the existence of man and look at facts and read up on history, and it undoubtedly leaves me to believe that this just didn't all happen by happenstance. There was cause and reason. I truly believe that the moment you find cause and reason, it will be the moment that you truly cherish life and understand that it will always continue.
I'd like to call that wishful thinking. We don't deserve eternal life more than any other animal on this planet, you don't think about an ant having eternal life when you step on it, do you?

How about when you run over a skunk, you don't think that animal has some sort of eternal life, do you?

I know you would like to think of humans as being special, but we're not.

We evolved like any other animal, sure we're more intelligent and creative, but does this mean we'll live forever? No.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #42
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die
 
Faptastrophe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LV
Posts: 3,249
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Also.. why are you bringing Near Death Experience into this topic clearly called: "What do you think happens after death".

First of all, it's in the name: it's a near death experience, not a death experience. Seriously though, I like to take the Sam Harris approach:
We know for a fact that damaging the brain damages corresponding areas of personality and cognition. If you damage one part of the brain you can cease to recognize faces. If you damage another, you no longer know the names of things. Damage another, and you lose the ability to speak. I could go on, but you get the picture. Are we expected to believe that, although damaging parts of the brain permanently hurts parts of personality, once the brain dies completely our consciousness can somehow lift out of the body unharmed, recognizing your relatives and speaking english/latvian whatever?
As for explanations, there are currently several, although none of them has been solidly proven. The general consensus among these theories explains NDEs as hallucinations caused by one of a number of sources (oxygen deprivation, dream-like electrical impulses of the dying brain, small amounts of DMT which the body naturally produces, etc).

http://www.skepdic.com/nde.html
Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #43
Riddler
D-94
 
Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: D-Town
Posts: 5,072
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
The judgement.

that might be more painful than anything you've experienced in life.


also...




Good movie.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,566
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
why do you have that avy again?


Dude with a Dalai Lama avy arguing against reincarnation.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
Patrick Chewing
New Jack Hustler
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,395
Default Re: What do you think happens after death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Most NDEers are religious in some way to begin with

Entirely incorrect. You will find through research of your own that NDE'ers range from many types of individuals, many of whom are doctors and scientists and have put their science first over the believability of a higher power. However, when these same scientists (men of higher knowledge) experience NDE's themselves, or go around the country interviewing hundreds and thousands of people who share the same sensation, that science cannot itself explain, they inevitably change their story.


I am not a devout Christian or religious person myself, but as it is written in the Bible, God gives us a choice because man governs the ground he walks on as he governs himself. God gives us the choice to be good or to be evil, just as he gives us the choice whether to believe or not to believe. And if you are religious, then belief is the key to salvation. A salvation from non-existence after you die.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy