Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Thumbs up Emperor Bloomberg's War On Soda Suffers Setback

Lovers of sugary drinks and liberty in general rejoice
Judge halts New York City ban on large sugary drinks

New York City's planned ban on the sale of large sugary drinks won't go into effect Tuesday after a state judge blocked the restrictions, calling them "arbitrary and capricious."

"The court finds that the regulation ... is laden with exceptions based on economic and political concerns," Justice Milton Tingling wrote.

Scheduled to begin at midnight, the law would have restricted the sale of sugary drinks to no more than 16 ounces.

The law would have exempted a variety of retailers -- including 7-Eleven, seller of the iconic "Big Gulp" drinks, because it is regulated by the state, not the city.

"The effect would be a person is unable to buy a drink larger than 16 ounces at one establishment but may be able to buy it at another establishment that may be located right next door," Tingling wrote.

The lawsuit was brought by a group of business associations -- including the American Beverage Association, the National Association of Theatre Owners of New York State and the New York Korean-American Grocers Association.
The opponents argued that the city had overstepped its authority. Among other things, they said, the rules would disproportionately hurt small and minority-owned businesses.

"The court ruling provides a sigh of relief to New Yorkers and thousands of small businesses in New York City that would have been harmed by this arbitrary and unpopular ban," the American Beverage Association said in a statement.

The mayor's office quickly vowed to appeal the decision. City officials believe the health department has the legal authority to use the ban to fight an "obesity epidemic," according to a tweet from Bloomberg's office.

Nearly 60% of New York City adults and 40% of city schoolchildren are overweight or obese, according to the decision.

But critics have decried the rules as a sign of the growing "nanny-state" and an unfair intrusion on personal freedom.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/11/news...html?hpt=hp_t1

DonDadda59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Emperor Bloomberg's War On Soda Suffers Setback

Yes terrible that he wants to ban large sugary sodas. The world is ending. His last ban was so terrible, stopping smoking in public places. Being able to sit in bars and restaurants and not have huge smoke clouds everywhere is just awful. Oh wait, it wasn't? Everyone stopped bitching after a few weeks, no business closed like they claimed and the smoke free enviornments are nice?

If this was banning soda altogether i'd agree with you, but what is the need for giant sodas that this upsets everyone?
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Yes terrible that he wants to ban large sugary sodas. The world is ending. His last ban was so terrible, stopping smoking in public places. Being able to sit in bars and restaurants and not have huge smoke clouds everywhere is just awful. Oh wait, it wasn't? Everyone stopped bitching after a few weeks, no business closed like they claimed and the smoke free enviornments are nice?

If this was banning soda altogether i'd agree with you, but what is the need for giant sodas that this upsets everyone?

People are stupid. I said it once and I'll say it again, it's only to benefit us. We already have laws to help protect ourselves, from ourselves. I don't mind this, I mean if you love soda so much and need more, buy another.
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Lettuce be a realist the real fatties would just bring a thermos with them.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Honestly tho, stuff like this is a reason I can accept why people wouldn't want a universal healthcare system. Now a large soda ban seems arbitrary and an abuse of the governments power, but if the govt is footing the medical bill for everyone then they could justify dictating lifestyle choices that affect healthcare costs.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
DixieNourmous
Livin Large

DixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputationDixieNourmous has a terrific reputation

some things are good FAT

DixieNourmous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko

It's the fact that the government has no business telling me what I can and can not drink as long as it's not hurting anybody else. I haven't had a real soda in years, but this type of shit still infuriates me. The government does not exist to tell us how to live our lives. It's a totally absurd and insulting idea.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
It's the fact that the government has no business telling me what I can and can not drink as long as it's not hurting anybody else. I haven't had a real soda in years, but this type of shit still infuriates me. The government does not exist to tell us how to live our lives. It's a totally absurd and insulting idea.

The Government is not telling you what you can drink, you can still drink soda's after the ban.

Also there actions do hurt other people, instead of $$$ going into something else it is being redirected into health costs.

With that being said, i think there is more effective ways of getting people not to drink soda's than banning large drinks
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Jello
Hume>Kunt.

Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
wut? so why exactly aren't you drinking soda?
Because it's not healthy. Since we're heading in the direction that the gov and our tax dollars are subsidizing the treatment of unhealthy fks with shitty eating habits, then taxing or banning unhealthy foods is of course necessary.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
wut? so why exactly aren't you drinking soda?
Because it's not healthy. Since we're heading in the direction that the gov and our tax dollars are subsidizing the treatment of unhealthy fks with shitty eating habits, then taxing or banning unhealthy foods is of course necessary.

We shouldn't have socialized health care either.

But if that's the logic you are going to use, where do we stop? Should we have government mandated workouts every day? Should there be a limit on alcohol consumption? Should we limit the portions of food a restaurant is allowed to serve? If you can't hold your bodyfat under a certain %, should the government be allowed to fine you?
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

But if that's the logic you are going to use, where do we stop? Should we have government mandated workouts every day? Should there be a limit on alcohol consumption? Should we limit the portions of food a restaurant is allowed to serve? If you can't hold your bodyfat under a certain %, should the government be allowed to fine you?

I know you're joking but I'm willing to bet that some people on here would be on board with that. People need big brother here it seems
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Always felt like a money grab to me. A way to generate sales and taxes. Limit the size you can buy but not the number
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you want to drink them you should just have to be registered and subsequently barred from any public health care services; same with ciggs.

I wouldn't have a problem with a variety of restrictions on public health care recipients. If you want to do that shit have someone else pay for it.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
If you want to drink them you should just have to be registered and subsequently barred from any public health care services; same with ciggs.

I wouldn't have a problem with a variety of restrictions on public health care recipients. If you want to do that shit have someone else pay for it.

From an economic standpoint though, the more the government becomes involved with health care the more it will crowd out private service. So it's not as easy as just saying smokers or soda drinkers should be barred from public health care services.. you're kind of screwing those people over..
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Doesn't the American Government pay the majority of health costs anyways, seems like you guys some socialized aspects to your health care so is adding more to the mix to help out some that can't burden the cost them selves such a wild and crazy idea????
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: