Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Money difference if Dwight Howard re-signs with Lakers vs if he leaves

Howard has refused to divulge publicly his intentions this offseason until that moment comes. Should he stay with the Lakers, he would re-sign for five years worth $117.9 million. That’s a huge jump compared to the four-year, $87.6 million deal he’d have with another team.

Still, Howard’s encountered frustrations on his first season with the Lakers. That’s included rehabbing from 10-month old back surgery, a torn labrum in his right shoulder, a relatively diminished offensive role and larger media scrutiny.

-- LA Daily News
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Mgamer20o0
Great young streetballer

Mgamer20o0 has decent reputationMgamer20o0 has decent reputation
Default Re: Money difference if Dwight Howard re-signs with Lakers vs if he leaves

but cant he still try and force a sign and trade though? he still gets his money and the lakers still end up with something.
Mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Money difference if Dwight Howard re-signs with Lakers vs if he leaves

This is the point I've been making whenever people were talking about how Dwight was going to leave. He'd be leaving a ton of guaranteed money on the table, and for a big guy who has had back problems that just isn't smart. I don't see Dwight not signing that max deal with the Lakers. I don't think he can get the same money in a sign and trade either. I'm not sure exactly how the rule works with the new CBA but I'm sure we'll hear about it closer to free agency time. A guy like Josh Smith could leave his team and it may be through a sign & trade.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

Big_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected poster

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the new CBA doesn't allow for a sign and trade, if he signed somewhere else he gets the lesser amount and if he signs with us he gets the full amount.
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
andredpg
I airball my layups

andredpg has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
This is the point I've been making whenever people were talking about how Dwight was going to leave. He'd be leaving a ton of guaranteed money on the table, and for a big guy who has had back problems that just isn't smart. I don't see Dwight not signing that max deal with the Lakers. I don't think he can get the same money in a sign and trade either. I'm not sure exactly how the rule works with the new CBA but I'm sure we'll hear about it closer to free agency time. A guy like Josh Smith could leave his team and it may be through a sign & trade.

if the team is over the cap (or in the luxury area, don remember exctly) sign and trade is not possible.
however, he still could sign the extension in the summer, and be traded after few months.
imo this is the "worst case scenario" for the lakers right there - if things are not working out, dwight is traded in 2013/2014 winter
andredpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sign Dwight and start messin with Kobe & Pau's backup. That's been a problem ever since Sasha, Trevor, & Odom left. (Trevor wasn't a backup ... but the Lakers need a guy like him.)

I miss em
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
DirtySanchez
National High School Star

DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool

Right now looks like Howard is getting better.
The further away he gets from that surgery the stronger he looks.
And now the team is geling and he is giving Kobe praise.

Dwight is the future...and I think he should stay and will be wel worth the money.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
Right now looks like Howard is getting better.
The further away he gets from that surgery the stronger he looks.
And now the team is geling and he is giving Kobe praise.

Dwight is the future...and I think he should stay and will be wel worth the money.

Definitely. I also think he is starting to be accepted and embraced in the locker-room. I do not see him going anywhere else this off-season. Barring any other major setbacks before season ends, he is here to stay.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Howard has refused to divulge publicly his intentions this offseason until that moment comes. Should he stay with the Lakers, he would re-sign for five years worth $117.9 million. That’s a huge jump compared to the four-year, $87.6 million deal he’d have with another team.

Still, Howard’s encountered frustrations on his first season with the Lakers. That’s included rehabbing from 10-month old back surgery, a torn labrum in his right shoulder, a relatively diminished offensive role and larger media scrutiny.

-- LA Daily News

From a negotiating standpoint we could just offer him $100 million flat and that would be over $12 million more than he could get anywhere else....why do we need to max him out if there is no competition and he is not our #1 guy.....just to stroke his ego?
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
From a negotiating standpoint we could just offer him $100 million flat and that would be over $12 million more than he could get anywhere else....why do we need to max him out if there is no competition and he is not our #1 guy.....just to stroke his ego?

He'd probably opt for a 4 year deal that would pay him more annually at that point though. I would guess Dallas (among a few others) would offer him 4 years at 88 million.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

That is what I have said in the past too concerning most other star players in the league. Unfortunately, a lot of people in frontoffices around the nba are full of idiots.

I remember the Joe Johnson deal - nobody could offer him anywhere close to what he got in that re-sign with Hawks, yet they still offered him that insane money. Look at his deal now - they had to do everything to dump that horrendous contract. Now somebody else is paying for it in Brooklyn..

Brandon Roy too - I guess he earned the money he got but still, nobody could offer him close to what Portland gave him before he blew out his knees. Amare belongs in this discussion too with the insane number of years he got at his amount per year

Kobe same thing in his last extension. Bynum same thing - Lakers quickly rushed his deal to get it done with. Now Philly has to pay for it since they landed him (Bynum wasn't max deal tho so he doesn't really belong here - just overpaid much more than market value for somebody as injuryprone).

Sadly, it happens a lot. A lot of times, it makes absolutely zero sense. Why pay more than market is even capable of it? or in some cases, why pay more than market will want to?

Especially when it comes to a contending team, it would completely destroy Howard's reputation for him to push aside $100 mill and a star future in a huge market like LA to go run off to another smaller market for $15 mill extra. It would never happen.

Last edited by bladefd : 03-11-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

Sadly, it happens a lot. A lot of times, it makes absolutely zero sense. Why pay more than market is even capable of it? or in some cases, why pay more than market will want to?

Dwight's market value will be a max contract though. He's one of the few in the league that actually deserve it too. I think there's just a handful of guys (less than 10) that should be paid max contracts. The other deals you mentioned were over paid athletes. The Lakers aren't bidding against themselves in this one though. Plus there's other influences. Think about how the union views guys taking a paycut for instance. There's pressures that the top guys need to get as big of a contract as possible so when the others need to sign it will set the bar. The top big man in the game, who's still in his prime, will get a max deal. It would be cool for the team and fans if he took a discount, but I highly doubt it. Especially after he made the mistake of staying the extra season in Orlando and losing all that money.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Dwight's market value will be a max contract though. He's one of the few in the league that actually deserve it too. I think there's just a handful of guys (less than 10) that should be paid max contracts. The other deals you mentioned were over paid athletes. The Lakers aren't bidding against themselves in this one though. Plus there's other influences. Think about how the union views guys taking a paycut for instance. There's pressures that the top guys need to get as big of a contract as possible so when the others need to sign it will set the bar. The top big man in the game, who's still in his prime, will get a max deal. It would be cool for the team and fans if he took a discount, but I highly doubt it. Especially after he made the mistake of staying the extra season in Orlando and losing all that money.

Yea, but what I was referring to is a max contract that other teams can offer versus a max contract Lakers can offer. Lakers can offer something like $20 million more than the highest that any other team can in NBA and Lakers can also offer an extra year.

Lets say any other team out there can offer $100 mill while Lakers can offer up to $120 mill. Why don't the Lakers get him to sign for $101 mill? or even up to $105 mill. $105 mill max deal is more than any other team out there can sign him for max deal with.

btw, there was one thing that I overlooked... no income tax in texas and florida. Lakers would have to offer $110 mill to match the max that Mark Cuban and the Mavs can offer (9% income tax in Los Angeles + federal income tax separate while Dallas has only federal income tax). I heard that taxes from other things add up (high property taxes, high taxes on certain items etc) so I guess in the long run, taxes all adds up in one way or other.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Yea, but what I was referring to is a max contract that other teams can offer versus a max contract Lakers can offer. Lakers can offer something like $20 million more than the highest that any other team can in NBA and Lakers can also offer an extra year.

Lets say any other team out there can offer $100 mill while Lakers can offer up to $120 mill. Why don't the Lakers get him to sign for $101 mill? or even up to $105 mill. $105 mill max deal is more than any other team out there can sign him for max deal with.

btw, there was one thing that I overlooked... no income tax in texas and florida. Lakers would have to offer $110 mill to match the max that Mark Cuban and the Mavs can offer (9% income tax in Los Angeles + federal income tax separate while Dallas has only federal income tax). I heard that taxes from other things add up (high property taxes, high taxes on certain items etc) so I guess in the long run, taxes all adds up in one way or other.

It really is only about a million per year more the Lakers can offer (based on what was originally posted). The main thing is the extra year. So the point is I don't see anyway where he doesn't get that extra million per year.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
It really is only about a million per year more the Lakers can offer (based on what was originally posted). The main thing is the extra year. So the point is I don't see anyway where he doesn't get that extra million per year.

Ahh, i see. I just glazed out over the opening post for some reason. Wow, I guess they really cut it down in last CBA negotiations. I would have expected some current team to be able to offer more to keep their superstar than another team out there. I guess the extra guaranteed year makes up for it since your career could end at any time if you get a bad injury..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: