Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Best players who wont be remembered.

Jamaal Wilkes
Gail Goodrich
Spencer Haywood
Bob MacAdoo
David Thompson
Darrell Griffith
Rolando Blackman
George Gervin
Alex English
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #17
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

Are two of them calvin natt and roundtree?
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #18
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Is one of those guts Otis Birdsong?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
icemanfan
Local High School Star

icemanfan is considered somewhat coolicemanfan is considered somewhat coolicemanfan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
Sidney Moncrief

Alvin Robertson
Alvin was a HELL of a great player. Unbelievably stupid human being but a great player.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #20
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One is Roundfield.

Ive not heard anyone mention Calvin Natt in a longtime. I remember an old old NBA VHS I had that convered his rise from scrub to star. "Hard work" was his themesong. I liked him...

edit

And no birdsong isnt on there. Though I was about to mention him when I saw you had.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #21
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

The 2nd guy looks familiar. Did he play for the Sonics?

And how about Jerome Kersey for a mention.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #22
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kerseys good and that reminds me of vinny "the microwave" johnson (for some reason not sure why)
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #23
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Otis Birdsong
Fat Lever (Greatest name ever)
Mitch Richmond
Shawn Kemp
Artis Gilmore
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #24
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Locked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
A 6-7 time all star 4 time all NbA first teamer and led his team to the finals where they played in the "Greatest game ever played". Im sure you know what I mean. But most here I figure only know of him as the **** talking coach of Barkleys suns who promised they would beat the Lakers in 93.

Perhaps the reason why he wasn't as remembered as you think is because you are embellishing his career?

He was a 6 time all star and he made all-nba team 3 times. (And one of the years he made the all-star game he averaged 12 points, 1 rebound, and 6 assists.

And let's face it... he had 13,000 points and averaged under 16 PPG for his career... exactly how should he be remembered?
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #25
SleepyCorpse
Decent playground baller

SleepyCorpse has an OK reputation so far

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...SwicksPort.jpg

Its Lebron!
SleepyCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #26
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

Big_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected poster

Nick Anderson
Sean Elliott
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #27
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Perhaps the reason why he wasn't as remembered as you think is because you are embellishing his career?

He was a 6 time all star and he made all-nba team 3 times. (And one of the years he made the all-star game he averaged 12 points, 1 rebound, and 6 assists.

I was off by an all star game and all nba team. Wasnt looking them up.

But 6 all star games and 3 time all NBA first teams and leading a team to the finals and game 7 of a conference finals is still pretty great. Its more then many many all time greats can say.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #28
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

Shawn Kemp- anyone who is over 21 will remember him, but today's youth will not. He came into the league in 1989. I was 11 at the time. He was a ferocious dunker. Drugs got the best of him unfortunately, but he was one hell of a player. Kids 4-5 years ago admired Kenyon Martin, but the man had nothing on Shawn Kemp.

Kevin Johnson- he was the Suns PG before Jason Kidd. KJ averaged 18/9 over his career, which includes 4 10+ APG seasons while hitting 12.2 APG in 1988-89. His last decent season was 1996-97 where he averaged 20/9. KJ lost his starting job to Kidd because of nagging injuries and was forced to retire after the 1999-00 season after playing in only 6 games.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #29
srv_fan
I brick open layups

srv_fan has an OK reputation so far

He isn't forgotten quite to the level of Dantley or Moncrief, but Moses Malone gets slept on as as all-time great way more than you would expect for a 3 time league MVP. Multiple All-NBA first teams, 3rd alltime rebounder, 5th alltime scorer, and you'll hear Patrick Ewings name come up more when people start ranking centers. A lot of time he'll just get let off the list totally. It's crazy. One of the most hyped high school players of all time, was the leader of one of the strongest teams on all time (those early 80's 76ers with him, Dr J, Andrew Toney, et al.), put up huge stats and consistently made his teams better.

I think a lot of it has to do with that he had possibly the least flashy game of all time. When people think of centers, a lot of the great ones have some image or style that endears them to fans and makes them easy to remember. Hakeem shaking and baking, Shaq throwing down on people, Kareem with the sky hook. Malone really doesn't have some defining move or career moment- just a sustained career of excellence. He was the absolute master of garbage buckets- offensive rebounds, putbacks, tipins. His post move basically was to run at the basket, toss something up, and go get it. Not nearly as aesthetically pleasing or memorable as the Dream Shake. But certainly just as effective. If you go back and dig up some old interviews with Bird or Magic and read just how much they respected Malone, you start to realize how criminally underappreciated he is today.
srv_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #30
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

which players today will be forgotten tomorrow?

i will say any player who was never a solid contributor on a championship team or whoever has not won a season MVP or finals MVP will be forgotten.

players like Dennis Johnson, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott, ron harper were never considered great multiple allstar players in their era but are remembered because they played key roles on championship teams.

players like Isiah Thomas etc. are not in anyones top 10-15 list but they are still remembered because they were final MVPs or regular season MVPs.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: