Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation
Default Re: Detroit is breaking up its Gang Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I imagine there are many Detroiters out there who've been wishing for someone to overrule their city council for years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2876635.html
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Orr will have a similar agenda for the city of Detroit. Already, Bing and the City Council have imposed a 10 percent wage cut and laid off thousands of city workers. Basic social services have been slashed.

By the end of the month, under a new law passed at the end of last year, Orr will have the power to rip up labor contracts, cut social programs and sell off city assets. The possibility of throwing the city into bankruptcy is being actively considered, since such a move would provide a legal fig leaf for cutting the pensions of current retirees.

The all-purpose justification for these measures is the claim that there is no money to provide for basic social services. The population of Detroit, more than a third of which lives in poverty, has supposedly been “living beyond its means” and stubbornly refusing to make the “hard choices” dictated by the crisis, which is inevitably presented as something akin to an impersonal and socially neutral act of nature.

really?
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
Detroit gets to be the first city run by an unelected official, which is a complete atrocity. More will probably be coming to a town near you.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/a-finan...etroit/5326888
Out of curiosity, what would be your solution to fixing the Detroit situation? I know that's a loaded question and not a simple one, but with the extreme level of long term mismanagement, corruption, and flat out failure, I have no faith in moving forward with the system currently in place.

I do not get the feeling this will be a process that will be copied by cities across America more and more. Detroit is in a league of their own at this point. I thought this was a solid summation, a reader comment on someone else's story no less (http://www.freep.com/comments/articl...oit-on-track):

Quote:
Suspends Democracy? Democracy may have been suspended when nine elected officials choose to fight each other rather then work for the citizens. It May have been suspended when the council chose to constantly remind the Mayor he wasn't in charge and obstructed every plan he had. It may have been suspended when nine council persons refused to cut back on their salaries and their overcompensated staffs, while they cut back on city services and pay.

During a crisis, the best and bravest step forward. During this crisis, the loudest and most obnoxious stepped forward. If a ship is sinking and experienced crew members take charge and right the ship, the captain is still the captain. If a woman is being assaulted and a bystander apprehends the attacker, the police are still the police. If a house is on fire and citizens rescue the family inside, Fire and Rescue Personnel are still employed.

What Detroit has been experiencing these past couple of years is akin to the Captain standing in the way of his crew and allowing the ship to sink, because he was in charge, or the woman's assailant getting away because the police are in charge and it's their job. City government was elected to do a job and they abdicated their responsibility to the citizens by consistently refusing to acknowledge there was a problem. Citizens also elected a Governor who has the authority to step in when local municipalities are in trouble.

No rights have been forfeited. If a doctor refuses to treat an infected finger, that infection will eventually destroy the entire hand. The Governor would not be doing his job if he didn't step in. Much the same as the previous Governor had no choice but to step in concerning the last Mayor of Detroit. That's what you have in a Representative form of Government.

I'm usually not a fan of Rick Snyder and under any other set of circumstances, I'd likely share your concerns, but Detroit's just felt so hopeless. I can't say I'd be in favor of refusing assistance and just watching it continue to drown itself.

How the city of Detroit has been run, in a nut shell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQLxVO-qjM

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Out of curiosity, what would be your solution to fixing the Detroit situation? I know that's a loaded question and not a simple one, but with the extreme level of long term mismanagement, corruption, and flat out failure, I have no faith in moving forward with the system currently in place.

I do not get the feeling this will be a process that will be copied by cities across America more and more. Detroit is in a league of their own at this point. I thought this was a solid summation, a reader comment on someone else's story no less (http://www.freep.com/comments/articl...oit-on-track):

I'm usually not a fan of Rick Snyder and under any other set of circumstances, I'd likely share your concerns, but Detroit's just felt so hopeless. I can't say I'd be in favor of refusing assistance and just watching it continue to drown itself.

How the city of Detroit has been run, in a nut shell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQLxVO-qjM

IMO, while Detroit is obviously the worst case scenario, this is overall a national problem, because Detroit, Michigan is not the only city and state already in or going down the crapper with austerity as their only objective. I've read about other states such as Ohio, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania trying to implement unelected ''emergency managers" as well, when in reality they are just austerity enforcers.

A solution at the federal level is what is needed and these are ideas I support...

http://tarpley.net/five-point-program.pdf

http://againstausterity.org/program
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I voted against the proposition for this on the ballot last fall, but they're ****ed either way.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

http://blip.tv/clickfaster/webster-g...-03-14-6551622

Here is a good blunt analysis of what all this really means, which is creeping fascism in tune with what happened in Italy and Germany during their fascist regimes. Austerity, union busting, and selling off of public lands to crony capitalist's. There is no wonder why reactionary republicans would like this move. Lol. What is also funny is how so called liberal progressives are nowhere to be found. Where's Mr. Obama on this issue? Not doing a damn thing, just like with the striking workers in Wisconsin.

Last edited by Norcaliblunt : 03-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Nice article on what really happened to Detroit.

http://www.mfi-miami.com/2013/03/lib...troits-demise/

Quote:
Wall Street did exactly to Detroit what they did to American homeowners. They conned the city into borrowing money using complex loans that they’re finance people didn’t understand while they manipulated the market to set Detroit up to fail. Then used complex derivatives to bet against Detroit.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #23
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

This is turning out a lot like the movie RoboCop. I city in debt and run by an inept city council, and gets taken over by separate group of management (OCP)
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: