Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Boomerang
Serious playground baller

Boomerang has an OK reputation so far
Default Can someone help me with a math problem?

i am kinda lost here.. the numbers i came up with didnt match any of the choices

Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
steve franchise
Local High School Star

steve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can someone help me with a math problem?

You can't take exam II unless you pass I?

I'd go with D.
steve franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve franchise
You can't take exam II unless you pass I?

I'd go with D.
Ahhhh thanks, with that in mind, I redid the calculations and got D as well. In my first calculations, I forgot to account for the previous passes. Thank you ver y much.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
steve franchise
Local High School Star

steve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablesteve franchise is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No problem broski.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

I got 448 like the first dude here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CEIQ7gEwAQ

Don't understand how you get 565, though.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
The Real JW
High School Starter

The Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this board

I got (A).

All of division A has failed at least 2 exams: 138*2 = 276
Those who took exam II (42 people) must have taken exam I first: 276 + 42 = 318
Those who took exam III (65 people) must have taken exams I and II first: 318 + 65*2 = 448
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
steve franchise
Local High School Star

You were on the right track, you forgot 2 important steps. Add 138 (total number of trainees) and then subtract 21 (trainees who failed that year).

You get 565.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

with a calculator, i did:

27+27+27
4+4
35+35+35+35
7+7+7
55+55+55+55+55
10+10+10+10
-----------------
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Alright , 4 more guys to say the same answer and we can call it a wrap.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Boomerang

This one has been driving me crazy too.

Now it's a huge trouble to do all the work, so I'm just going to ask you guys if you would approach it the same way I did. Which is for example Euro, I would take 1 and divide by 1.52 and 1.64 and see the difference of that. Do it for all currencies and see which number is the smallest?

Or do you just subtract the 1.64 and 1.52? (Seems too easy)

I've been out of school too long to remember proportional change

By the way, this is not homework or anything. It's prep for numerical tests - you do them when you apply for a banking job. And you get 1 minute for each problem.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
steve franchise
Local High School Star

I would just subtract, but yeah it just seems too easy.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The correct answer is subtract and compare. Its that easy.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm pretty sure that's a question from a numerical test for graduate entry level jobs? I've done the same question before.

edit: lol didn't see the second question. Best of luck with these tests! If you get through to interview they randomly re-test people too so it's best to make sure you can do these yourself as well

Last edited by brantonli : 03-16-2013 at 04:35 PM.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
ace23

ace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputationace23 has a bad reputation

I think the answer to the second question is A quickly subtracting.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
The Real JW
High School Starter

The Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this boardThe Real JW is popular on this board

Wouldn't proportional change be the percentage change relative to the base year 1?

EUR: +7.89%
USD: -9.38%
JPY: +20.25%
AUD: +6.27%
CHF: -7.69%
HKD: -8.94%
MYR: -28.29%

The smallest absolute value change being AUD?
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: