Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
BlueCrayon
Get Buckets

BlueCrayon is considered somewhat coolBlueCrayon is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: did the Knicks make the right move in letting Lin go for Felton?

I don't know whether or not made the right decision but Felton has not been good.
BlueCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

Wasn't Lin told by the Knicks to go and test out the market?

It,s not like teams were knocking on his door to join them. Only the Rockers did I think.

Yes casual fans dig enjoy the Linsanity but any real fans and basketball pundits knew he was a borderline starter or good bench player.

Thst 's why I think the Knicks weren't too worried about other teams offers.

Until the Rockets pulled the poison pill on them.

Then it was over.

people exploited Lin's story and made a $hit load of money from the Chinese from harvard. And he got paid what? $740K for making them Knicks relevant and pushing them into the playoff race. When business men and onwners pull this it's business but Lin wants to exploit his own hype and cash in on it, he's a back stabber.

Even then $25 mill for 3 years, it's not that much considering most fans who will follow Lin are Asians from across the world. That alone with jersey sales, league pass etc will cover his contract in no time.

His contract is a good investment business wise but basketball wise it's not as bad as people make it out to be (cough haters cough). No where as ridiculous as Rashard Lewis' max contract in 2007.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrayon
I don't know whether or not made the right decision but Felton has not been good.
Felton's stats are pretty much on par with Lin's for the year. Felton also fits the Knicks system and personnel much better, as well as having a more reasonable salary.

Felton: 14.5 ppg / 5.7 apg / .411 shooting
Lin: 12.9 ppg / 6.1 apg / .440 shooting

So, of course the Knicks made the right move. Lin was never going to work out, long-term, in NY anyway, for a variety of reasons.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Even then $25 mill for 3 years, it's not that much considering most fans who will follow Lin are Asians from across the world. That alone with jersey sales, league pass etc will cover his contract in no time.
Can you substantiate this? I've heard this argument over and over, but have yet to see solid facts which point to any windfall for the Rockets due to Lin's presence.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Felton's stats are pretty much on par with Lin's for the year. Felton also fits the Knicks system and personnel much better, as well as having a more reasonable salary.

So, of course the Knicks made the right move. Lin was never going to work out, long-term, in NY anyway, for a variety of reasons.

felton has the lowest TS% of any PG in the league and his stats is trending down.

why can't this fat ass mofo stay in shape for a whole year?

if Knicks had Felton for the first 2 months and Lin for the rest then no PG issue at all.

Last edited by STATUTORY : 03-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Mamba has decent reputationMamba has decent reputation

the knicks all in all are just a mess, and somehow always will be.

This reminds me of when they brought stephon marbury, and steve francis to play on the same team with Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph. They were all ball-hogs at the time with zero outside shooting and clogging the lane.

they brought in a ball dominant small forward(melo), a ball dominant power forward(amare), and an inconsistent point guard to run the show. The biggest similarity is like the team above none of them play defence. Not even a little bit of it.

the best thing they had going for a while was lin, he was in a perfect situation with a great team built around him. The guy is top 10 in steals and if he didn't have harden starting with him he would be averaging his linsane numbers along with it (lin is the type of player that needs the ball in his hands to be effective)

So no the knicks did not make the right move. The knicks never plan for the future, and haven't picked grown or groomed their stars the way the spurs, the pacers and the chicago bulls do. Rather just boy some trash from other teams and hope that they will play well together.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
felton has the lowest TS% of any PG in the league and his stats is trending down.

why can't this fat ass mofo stay in shape for a whole year?
TS% is just another bs stat that people throw around to appear smart.

I don't see where Felton's stats are "trending down" Look at his game log. Its been an up-and-down month for him, but he's had some very good outings lately.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

It was the right move to let Lin go. The Knicks heard the initial offer from the Rockets verbally and the Knicks didnt have them send it so they can match that offer. The Knicks made an announcement publicly they would match any offer so, Lin went back to the Rockets and they added the poison pill. Had the Knicks shut their mouths and waited for the offer to come in this would have not been an issue. An athlete's window of opportunity to make money is generally small unless they are a superstar in any sport. Get the most when you can.

I think Lin is a better fit because he penetrates and creates. As everyone knows he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Right now the Knicks do not let players create or they cant create at this point. The first 2 months of the season Kidd and Felton were creative/hitting open people and the ball moved those 2 were getting 6 assist a piece or more. The Knicks need that right now have some one create easier shots for the team and score when needed. This is what Lin offered and this is why Lin would have been a better fit.

The dislike for Lin only came from Jr because of his contract. Melo apprehension with Lin was because D'Antoni gave the team the green light so Lin would find the open player and shoot as opposed to finding Melo. Melo wasnt necessarily the focal of the offense where most plays that were run was not ISO. Every player was on board with Lin because he got everyone the ball where they wanted and it was easy. Everyone was happy except 1. At that time every interview you heard from all players was LOVE everyone ate all you heard was team ball. Lin had to leave though because the handwriting was on the wall. I think they would have been a great fit together.

The only problem I had with the Knicks deal was sending all your starters for 1 player was dumb. You cant play basketball that way. Also, Melo gave the leverage back to the Nuggets because he flirted with accepting a deal elsewhere if the Knicks didnt get him at the time so he could get his max money. If the goal was to get CP3 which Melo wanted he would should have taken less money and it would have happened.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Although I'd rather have Lin, ultimately having Lin or Felton is not going to make or break whether Knicks are a championship level team. Impact wise, about same. I think Felton has more raw talent, better handle...but Lin plays smarter, better passer and has higher bball IQ. Kind of a wash.

However, at the time, i was pushing for Lin hard because Lin was fun to watch and I kept thinking "Who else can Knicks even get?". Knicks were capped out and it looked like we were destined for another void at the point....

What Knicks SHOULD have done...was offer Lin an MLE contract right away. A 3 year MLE contract with no "poison pill" 3rd year. THEN, it puts the ball in Lin's court. Does Lin really want to be a Knick, or is Lin going to look for the most money?

If Lin gets a bigger contract, PR wise would have looked better for Knicks. "Hey, we made him a good offer, but he had to go for more money. We can't pay that."

Knicks played it strategically poorly. Let's remember Lin only had ONE offer..the one Rockets put in front of him. What was he supposed to do? Not sign it? Ask for LESS money? Knicks stupidly said they would match so Morey just upped the offer. Lin was like..."more money? sure!" and signed it...and for some reason this upset Dolan......

Anywho, like I said, rather have Lin as I always want higher IQ players on my team and Felton is starting to annoy me with his reckless ball handling, but ultimately, its not a big difference either way.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

I think it would have made a major difference now that you mentioned it. Because last year you saw Lin step up when the Knicks stars were out. I think he has that win at all cost inside him and he wants to take the last shot even though its muted with Harden this year. I think when Lin and Harden get together this off season they will probably get it going.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Chrono90 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
They didn't let him go for Felton. They let him go because he went behind their back and asked for more money. The tax penalty for him in the third year would have been 50 million dollars.

And yes they made the right trade by getting Melo. Those guys wouldn't be with the team by next year.

Knicks also wanted to pay Lin as least as possible and thought no body else was serious about him. They had a chance to offer and close out a deal but they never offered. He went out the season as a free agent.
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #27
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Chrono90 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentknicks
Good to see you have barely watched the Knicks before. Remember the big issues between Lin and chemistry with Melo and other members of the team? Lin was going to get a big offer regardless, to think his agent would have let him sign with the Knicks for cheap is laughable. Lin doesn't fit this team as well as Felton does for the contract he was on, was totally not worth it financially or basketball wise.

Felton on 3 Mill year > Lin's big contract, for the Knicks

Melo didn't come out to play cause he wanted to get rid of D'antoni. Lin was the one keeping him there. That's the first problem between them.
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Knick fans aren't being bitter when saying they felt Lin was shady. He and his team announced the 3 years $25 million offer sheet with the Rockets. The Knicks got wind of the details and said they would match. Lin and his team then met with the Rockets in Las Vegas, while there to "support the Knicks Summer League team" and reworked the framing of the offer sheet. The new offer sheet put the Knicks in a situation that meant keeping Jeremy Lin would cost them over $50mil in Lin's third year of the contract.

As for Lin vs Felton, up until getting injured Felton and the Knicks where playing better than they ever had with Linl. If Felton can get back in form the Knicks are good to go.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
b0bab0i
National High School Star

b0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf

Lin would never work because whenever melo is on the court he requires the bAll and runs ISOs.
b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
As for Lin vs Felton, up until getting injured Felton and the Knicks where playing better than they ever had with Linl. If Felton can get back in form the Knicks are good to go.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i
Lin would never work because whenever melo is on the court he requires the bAll and runs ISOs.
Correction: Lin would never work because his "style" would require a much higher usage % than was warranted for a player at his skill level.

Melo with a high usage % is acceptable, because he's an established superstar scorer. Obviously, Lin is not.

Beyond that, the media was ready to ramp up the hype machine and it would have quickly turned into a Tebow-type circus. As we can now clearly see, Linsanity was an example of a borderline starter who played out of his mind for two weeks, NOT the emergence of a genuine star.

In short, the Knicks didn't need a turnover prone, shoot-first guard who was learning the point. They needed an experienced pg who could get the ball to their primary scorers.

The Knicks may not reach their team potential, or do much in the post-season, but that has everything to do with the injuries they've suffered, and nothing to do with letting Lin go.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: