Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Going to be a dad, need ISH tips

My advice:

Be the Socrates to your plato

Install some quality values into him/her. Don't be lazy, don't neglect them, be there for them and try to push them for greatness(in a good and relaxed manner, no tiger woods shit)
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #17
KembaWalker
Great young streetballer

KembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this boardKembaWalker is popular on this board

Teach him to ball as soon as he can walk, you'll thank me in 20 years
KembaWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #18
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
First tip, don't ask ISH how to raise your kid.

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's completely crazy the first few months. Just realize that the crazy no-sleep schedule won't last forever. After that it's an amazing journey. Each age has its own joys and challenges. And it all goes by so fast. My 2 cents:

Don't neglect your marriage. Understandably at first the child becomes the most important thing in your life. But once you get the schedule under control and get used to things, you need to do the things you've been doing before to keep the marriage strong.

Remember that you are a parent. It is your job to be the bad guy and say no and enforce the rules. It hurts sometimes but someone has to be the grownup or the child ends up running the household. Believe me, you don't want that. I don't believe in spanking but I do believe that bad behavior should have a negative consequence. I see parents make idle threats all the time ("If you don't stop that we won't go to the park later") but they don't follow through. Kids are smart and it doesn't take them long to learn that their parents aren't really going to do anything when they misbehave.

Anyways congrats. You're in for an amazing ride.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 03-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
b1imtf
raep tiem

b1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableb1imtf is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Run away
b1imtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KembaWalker
Teach him to ball as soon as he can walk, you'll thank me in 20 years

if he doesn't have the genetics he'll never make it in basketball.

Get him started in golf.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
Bandito
NBA Superstar

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would recommend you to read story books so he get interested in reading from an early age. My grandma taught me to read when I was like 3 or 4 and that's a huge advantage.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

The fact that you asked ISH for tips, us out of all people, means you are in fucking trouble. Give it up for adoption while you can, why ruin your lives and the babies?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Congrats man. I've got my first little one coming sometime within the next month so I know what your going through. For me the biggest tips that worked out for me in getting through pregnancy are 1) do Lamaze class 2) try not to get too anxious/stressed (easier said than done) 3) prepare for your little one coming gradually instead of all at once and 4) expect to invest a good amount of time with your wife/girlfriend.

PS - the hormonal changes people say women go through during pregnancy are real.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

1. Focus on valuable habits. Teach him how to save, for example, if he wants a new toy, have him work for it, put it in his piggy bank, and when he has enough, go and buy it for him.

2. Eating healthy. This is really important and you have to do it early on; eating is a habit; what a child eats will prob stay with him for the rest of his life, so try to teach him/her to eat healthy greens and fruits early on. A technique that is practical and works is some parents would not let the kid eat dessert until they finished their greens. It's not about liking them, it's about getting used to them.

3. Adopt a pet. Teach him how to take care of this pet. Kids who love animals tend to be more compassionate towards human beings later in life.

4. Always motivate your kids no matter what. If he does something you like, tell him he is doing a good job. I know this is hard to do because kids can be stressful to take care of, but they are very susceptible to opinion, and when you start being all negative towards them, they will grow up as negative people themselves. Yelling, spanking, time outs, aren't really teaching; hard to believe; teaching is when you show them how to do something correctly and back it up with some incentive to do it again. Reprimanding is a failure in teaching, and not an act of teaching like many people are mistakenly lead to believe.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 03-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Above all, don't let the state raise your kid. If you let the church control your kid, he will end up being racist towards other human beings and religion; if you let education raise him, he won't have any values or morals he can abide to.

You have to find a balance and teach him morals aren't bad and at the same time education is a must in order to succeed in today's world. It starts with the home, not with the state.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

shortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
It's completely crazy the first few months. Just realize that the crazy no-sleep schedule won't last forever. After that it's an amazing journey. Each age has its own joys and challenges. And it all goes by so fast. My 2 cents:

Don't neglect your marriage. Understandably at first the child becomes the most important thing in your life. But once you get the schedule under control and get used to things, you need to do the things you've been doing before to keep the marriage strong.

Remember that you are a parent. It is your job to be the bad guy and say no and enforce the rules. It hurts sometimes but someone has to be the grownup or the child ends up running the household. Believe me, you don't want that. I don't believe in spanking but I do believe that bad behavior should have a negative consequence. I see parents make idle threats all the time ("If you don't stop that we won't go to the park later") but they don't follow through. Kids are smart and it doesn't take them long to learn that their parents aren't really going to do anything when they misbehave.

Anyways congrats. You're in for an amazing ride.

Thank you...

Yes, we have a friend that tells her kid whats right and wrong but with no discipline behind it and we've both agreed there is nothing worse than that.
shortsoptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

shortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Don't be selfish and bring your kid into public places where your kid will cry and ruin other people's social experiences (bars, nice restaurants and especially movies).

Agreed. Going to try real hard to follow this one. However, I was encouraged to see a friend of mine who taught his daughter baby sign so that she could convey to them what she wanted without screaming and crying... looked to work really well.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
1. Focus on valuable habits. Teach him how to save, for example, if he wants a new toy, have him work for it, put it in his piggy bank, and when he has enough, go and buy it for him.

2. Eating healthy. This is really important and you have to do it early on; eating is a habit; what a child eats will prob stay with him for the rest of his life, so try to teach him/her to eat healthy greens and fruits early on. A technique that is practical and works is some parents would not let the kid eat dessert until they finished their greens. It's not about liking them, it's about getting used to them.

3. Adopt a pet. Teach him how to take care of this pet. Kids who love animals tend to be more compassionate towards human beings later in life.

4. Always motivate your kids no matter what. If he does something you like, tell him he is doing a good job. I know this is hard to do because kids can be stressful to take care of, but they are very susceptible to opinion, and when you start being all negative towards them, they will grow up as negative people themselves. Yelling, spanking, time outs, aren't really teaching; hard to believe; teaching is when you show them how to do something correctly and back it up with some incentive to do it again. Reprimanding is a failure in teaching, and not an act of teaching like many people are mistakenly lead to believe.

Thanks...

The wife and I both do not follow a religion. We have christian values, but are a secular household. But we've both agreed that if our kid grows up and follows a religion, we'll still support their decision.

The nutrition thing is going to be tricky. She's a vegetarian and I am not. She wants to raise our children to be vegetarian, and I feel like that is going to be incredibly hard. We'll see how it goes, but that's what i think is going to be the hardest part as far as eating habits go. Going to be hard to tell my kid that they can't have what dad eats.

We don't have any pets right now, but we both want a dog. She wants one right now, but i was thinking it would be best to wait until the kid is about a year so that the kid and dog grow up together.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

stress education early

who knows, he might be a genius and graduate highschool early
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: