Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #31
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Going to be a dad, need ISH tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsoptional
Thanks...

The wife and I both do not follow a religion. We have christian values, but are a secular household. But we've both agreed that if our kid grows up and follows a religion, we'll still support their decision.

The nutrition thing is going to be tricky. She's a vegetarian and I am not. She wants to raise our children to be vegetarian, and I feel like that is going to be incredibly hard. We'll see how it goes, but that's what i think is going to be the hardest part as far as eating habits go. Going to be hard to tell my kid that they can't have what dad eats.

We don't have any pets right now, but we both want a dog. She wants one right now, but i was thinking it would be best to wait until the kid is about a year so that the kid and dog grow up together.

99.99999% of real medical doctors will tell you that's an extremely unhealthy thing to do to your kid. It's one thing to be a vegetarian as an adult, but as a kid? At least let the kid make his own choice.

EDIT: And i think its not even good that your wife will keep a vegetarian diet while she pregnant. That might affect the development of the baby.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #32
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
99.99999% of real medical doctors will tell you that's an extremely unhealthy thing to do to your kid. It's one thing to be a vegetarian as an adult, but as a kid? At least let the kid make his own choice.

EDIT: And i think its not even good that your wife will keep a vegetarian diet while she pregnant. That might affect the development of the baby.
this is sheer ignorance and not true in the slightest. If your wife is a smart vegetarian, she is getting all the nutrients she needs. same with a kid. One of the biggest burliest toddlers I know has been raised vegetarian. Im certainly not saying you shouldnt input your dietary wishes as well (and as the kid gets older, let them make choices for themselves), but Dukes POV is pure ignorance and not supported by the science or the medical community.

Of course, if your wife is a dumb vegetarian and doesnt get a balanced diet, thats another story (but the same is definitely true of non-vegetarians). http://www.pbs.org/parents/food-and-...getarian-kids/
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129137062

Not to mention the billions of people around the world who are vegetarian (live most Brahmins, the priestly caste in Hinduism) and have perfectly healthy kids.

Last edited by boozehound : 03-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Why does a kid need to be raised a vegetarian? It's not necessary and it makes it harder to give them all the nutrition you need at that age. Douchey Parenting 101.

Yes, the .001% who is so good at it that they'd raise their kid even better is not who i'm talking about, but i think for most parents it would just make it harder to give the kid as much nutrients as you could otherwise.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #34
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Why does a kid need to be raised a vegetarian? It's not necessary and it makes it harder to give them all the nutrition you need at that age. Douchey Parenting 101.

Yes, the .001% who is so good at it that they'd raise their kid even better is not who i'm talking about, but i think for most parents it would just make it harder to give the kid as much nutrients as you could otherwise.
this is ignorant. Its not that hard to have a balanced vegetarian diet. I am not a vegetarian, but it is silly how they are called out for an unbalanced diet when more kids who eat meat have nutritional deficiencies/malnutrition due to idiot/ignorant parents. Its a classic scapegoat/strawman.

I find it hilarious that both you and dukey use numbers (improbable ones at that) when you are talking hyperbole out of your ass.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
usa hoops
Serious playground baller

usa hoops has decent reputation

Be available for your kid, and be consistent with discipline.
usa hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

shortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
this is ignorant. Its not that hard to have a balanced vegetarian diet. I am not a vegetarian, but it is silly how they are called out for an unbalanced diet when more kids who eat meat have nutritional deficiencies/malnutrition due to idiot/ignorant parents. Its a classic scapegoat/strawman.

I find it hilarious that both you and dukey use numbers (improbable ones at that) when you are talking hyperbole out of your ass.

Exactly... the wife and I are both fairly educated in nutrition and she even has her BS in Health Studies so we both know exactly how to get a balanced nutrition for her and our eventual kid. I was more or less thinking it would be incredibly hard to keep the kid vegetarian with certain social situations like going to family homes, sleepovers, school and other things as the child gets older. We both agree that letting the kid choose his/her own nutrition path as they get older will surely be up to them. Only that she will start them out that way.

Last edited by shortsoptional : 03-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.
shortsoptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound

and you follow it up with an anecdote about a burly toddler you know. I get it. It's possible to supplement the diet with the iron and proteins the kid needs. But why do that sh*t? Why not just be normal and feed them the meat that their stomachs were designed to digest?

from your article:

Quote:
If the child's pediatrician isn't aware that the child is a vegetarian, the doctor may not know to test for iron deficiency, Bhatia says. Iron deficiency may not become apparent until the child is older, Bhatia says, and at that point, the child may actually have irreversible cognitive defects.

The more restricted the diet, the more difficult it is for vegetarian children to get all of the nutrients they need. Bhatia says lacto-ovo vegetarians those who won't eat meat, fish and poultry but will eat dairy and eggs are at the least risk for undernutrition.

Vegan children, a small but growing group, are another story. Vitamin B-12 is found naturally only in animal products, and vegans may also be at risk for insufficient intake of vitamin D, calcium, zinc and riboflavin.

"I think it's very difficult to healthfully raise a vegan child," says Rebecca Roach, a registered dietitian and teaching associate at the University of Illinois' Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition. "It can be done, but it needs to be someone who really understands the nutrient needs for their child."

your other article was devoid of sources. It's a risk not worth taking IMO.

EDIT: not trying to call out OP, i'm sure him and his lady will do everything necessary to ensure their kid gets proper nutrition.

Last edited by DukeDelonte13 : 03-18-2013 at 02:31 PM.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #38
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Exactly... the wife and I are both fairly educated in nutrition and she even has her BS in Health Studies so we both know exactly how to get a balanced nutrition for her and our eventual kid. I was more or less thinking it would be incredibly hard to keep the kid vegetarian with certain social situations like going to family homes, sleepovers, school and other things as the child gets older. We both agree that letting the kid choose his/her own nutrition path as they get older will surely be up to them. Only that she will start them out that way.

Why not start them out with everything making it fully clear which is healthy and which is not? We do that and they are very much into vegtables. I mean very much, they'd eat nothing else if we left them. And you're right about the sleepovers, school lunch and such, it's going to be a large pain in the ass.

The parents i know who try to restrict their kids diet to the degree you are tend have kids who romanticize the other foods. I don't see how later in life it would help. And that's the point, no?

Note: ABout the "how do you watch TV, etc" just do it when you can to keep you sane. Some parents i know act like that's impossible. It's not. ANd remember there are two of you, cover for each other when you can. ANd take the kid out with you, they are not made of glass, go shopping, etc.

And you DO NOT need a huge super stroller that weights 49,000 pounds. Remember your wife may need to lift that thing WITH the kid inside, etc.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

shortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputationshortsoptional has a terrific reputation

Quote:
and you follow it up with an anecdote about a burly toddler you know. I get it. It's possible to supplement the diet with the iron and proteins the kid needs. But why do that sh*t? Why not just be normal and feed them the meat that their stomachs were designed to digest?

from your article:

EDIT: not trying to call out OP, i'm sure him and his lady will do everything necessary to ensure their kid gets proper nutrition.

Ah.. no worries. You are entitled to your opinion. I will say that she does eat eggs and cheese, which also state in that same article puts her at the least amount of risk. I make sure she takes her prenatal every morning (ever since we found out a week ago), and she most mornings eats an egg/cheese/(veggie sausage) sandwich that i prepare for her.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
shortsoptional
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Why not start them out with everything making it fully clear which is healthy and which is not? We do that and they are very much into vegtables. I mean very much, they'd eat nothing else if we left them. And you're right about the sleepovers, school lunch and such, it's going to be a large pain in the ass.

The parents i know who try to restrict their kids diet to the degree you are tend have kids who romanticize the other foods. I don't see how later in life it would help. And that's the point, no?

Note: ABout the "how do you watch TV, etc" just do it when you can to keep you sane. Some parents i know act like that's impossible. It's not. ANd remember there are two of you, cover for each other when you can. ANd take the kid out with you, they are not made of glass, go shopping, etc.

And you DO NOT need a huge super stroller that weights 49,000 pounds. Remember your wife may need to lift that thing WITH the kid inside, etc.

Sure... completely understand that.

There are lot of meatless options, however, that taste pretty much the same. I still eat meat, but some things like veggie crumbles, breakfast sausage and believe it or not, corn dogs taste really good. So while i understand your point that they may crave something like a burger (In and Out sounds pretty good right now actually), we can still make those things for them and they would never know the difference. And nutrition wise, they would be fairly similar, if not in some cases better.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #41
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:

from your article:

have you ever seen what is in prenatal vitamins? There is so much iron that when I took one during our first pregnancy, I shat black bricks for 2 days. There is very little chance of an informed mother having an iron deficiency due to diet. Its funny that you say our bodies were "designed" to eat meat. Based on what? There is very little direct evidence of meat consumption in hominin evolution. The amount of meat eaten by a traditional H-G group is pretty small (check HRAF). Sure, meat (or other sources of protiens) is an important dietary component. But, acting like you cannot get away from meat with the plethora of dietary options available to the modern consumer is just false.

My toddler anecdote may be just that, an anecdote, but its based in reality. Your 99.99% of doctors line is pure hogwash.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #42
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Agreed. Going to try real hard to follow this one. However, I was encouraged to see a friend of mine who taught his daughter baby sign so that she could convey to them what she wanted without screaming and crying... looked to work really well.

That's pretty cool. Seems like a once in a lifetime thing though.

Congrats on your kid btw. I never really knew if I wanted kids but my buddy is dating a girl who has a 3 year old daughter. She's 23 (accident). Her kid is really cool and loves me and I love her but sometimes I just want to yell at her. I question the way she's raised from time to time...my buddy doesn't ever give her what she wants.

I stayed at his place the other night and I hear a whimper/cry from her room. I wanted to go over and yell at her and be like, "wtf are you doing. Go the **** to sleep."

Her mother came and told her that basically but I think the most appropriate thing would be to ignore her. Don't give her the attention she seeks because in the end that's all she wants.

She still pisses herself from time to time and she still wears pull ups. Is that even normal for a 3 year old?
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #43
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa hoops
Be available for your kid, and be consistent with discipline.

Discipline should be the last resort; teaching should be the first. If you teach your kid well with enough incentive to motivate him to keep on doing what he is doing, then there should be no need for discipline since he will be incline to do it anyway. There should be a distinction between positive discipline and negative discipline. You can't just beat the living hell out of your kid and expect him to know what is right or wrong, you have to teach him and then encourage him to keep on doing what is right. Discipline is just an easy cop out and not true parenting (this is hard for many people to accept as true). You got to teach if you want them to learn. Beating and punishment should be the last resort, not the first. If you fail as a teacher, then of course, you will have to discipline the child, but it is your failure that is the cause of the discipline, not the child's inability to learn. Big difference. Many parents today fail to take responsibility for the failure of their kids.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 03-18-2013 at 08:18 PM.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #44
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation hereoutbreak has a near all-star reputation here

buy a coat hanger
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #45
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My son is 5 months old now, and my wife is vegetarian (not vegan, quite a difference)...she eats fish, most sea food, and eggs

at first I was pretty worried about her not getting proper nutrients while pregnant but it didn't take long for that worry to go away.

my son is in the 100th percentile in height ...got Dirk Jr over here...also above average weight (obviously at that height) and he is not an overweight baby.

he is also well advanced in terms of focusing and eye movement...eye contact etc

there is basically no chance of autism in my son because he has shown so much focus which is something I was very scared of at first...because autism numbers are through the roof right now and no one knows why (I suspect prescription drugs)
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: