Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Bruce Lee was a fascinating man

I feel like there isn't enough information about and video/photo footage of the man. No homo, but I particularly like looking at his body in various poses and seeing how he trained.

I want to know more.

Anybody else obsessed with dude?

HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Bruce Lee was a fascinating man

Bruce Lee is one the most influential people to ever walk this planet.

He was very much ahead of his time.

If you ever read about him, listen to his quotes, you will be very enlightened.
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bruce Lee is very interesting because it would seem on the surface that he was just a passing icon. A legend in his craft but outside of that it's not like he's an historical figure or anything.

But when you start to dig deeper, you start to see massive massive influence. The man, in his short life, accomplished so much it makes one's head spin.

Also we share a birthday.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

He was killed by the Illuminati?

seriously, he is like the Asian Michael Jordan. A person who influenced people to take up martial arts.

Lee knew martial arts in movies were gimmick and within 3 years of the release of his movies, he said he wouldn't do anymore and maybe branch out to more mainstream movies either as a writer, actor, director, producer or whatever...

His personality is strong. Right on par with MJ and Kobe. His legend has been protected somehow but people who have had first hand experience with Lee would tell you he is or can be an grade A Ahole. Not unlike MJ or Kobe.

He's buried in Seattle, WA. Lakeview cemetery that overlooks Lake Washington and Husky stadium (U Dub). I went there over 30 times I have lived in that area. It's interesting people still talk about him. I sat around and spoke with other Lee fans. Like Kobe stans, MJ stans, and LeBron stans, people debated whether or not he would UFC champ etc...
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here

Yes! very good observation! He was also asian.

But for serious, one thing he did also that people dont give him much credit for is bring eastern philosophy to the west and make it more accessible for most.

Last edited by OhNoTimNoSho : 03-18-2013 at 03:04 PM.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Per Wiki:
Quote:
In 1962, Lee was challenged by a man who had been holding a grudge against Lee while the two were practicing at a YMCA in Seattle.[46] The man was described by Jesse Glover as a karate man who also had a blackbelt in judo, though Glover, who was a brown belt in judo at the time, claimed to be better than the man in judo.[46] After weeks[47] or months[48] of provocation by the man, Lee agreed to fight the man for three two-minute rounds, with the winner being the one who knocked the opponent down or out in two out of three rounds.[49] The match took place at YMCA's handball court, with Glover as the referee and Ed Hart as the time keeper.[49] Lee wore street clothes and used a Wing Chun stance while his opponent wore a gi and used a karate stance.[49] According to Glover, Lee used his right forearm to deflect an initial kick from the man and simultaneously landed a left punch to the face.[49] Lee deflected more punches using the forearm, controlling the center line and landed more punches to the man's face until he was against the wall.[49] The man attempted to grab Lee's arms, which Lee responded by a double fist punch to the face and chest, followed by a kick to the nose, which produced a nosebleed and a knockout, at which time Glover stopped the fight.[49] Taki Kamura said the fight lasted 10 seconds.[50] Ed Hart stated "the fight lasted exactly 11 seconds – I know because I was the time keeper – and Bruce had hit the guy something like 15 times and kicked him once. I thought he'd killed him".[47]

Effing badass!
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
He was killed by the Illuminati?

seriously, he is like the Asian Michael Jordan. A person who influenced people to take up martial arts.

Lee knew martial arts in movies were gimmick and within 3 years of the release of his movies, he said he wouldn't do anymore and maybe branch out to more mainstream movies either as a writer, actor, director, producer or whatever...

His personality is strong. Right on par with MJ and Kobe. His legend has been protected somehow but people who have had first hand experience with Lee would tell you he is or can be an grade A Ahole. Not unlike MJ or Kobe.

He's buried in Seattle, WA. Lakeview cemetery that overlooks Lake Washington and Husky stadium (U Dub). I went there over 30 times I have lived in that area. It's interesting people still talk about him. I sat around and spoke with other Lee fans. Like Kobe stans, MJ stans, and LeBron stans, people debated whether or not he would UFC champ etc...

MJ wasn't half the pioneer Lee was. There were a gang of dudes before Jordan who established the sport. Also MJ couldn't hold a candle to Lee in the sense of overall wisdom with quotes. "Republicans wear sneakers too" has to be one of the most stupid and unenlightening things ever said. Lol.

Last edited by Norcaliblunt : 03-18-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

His fighting philosophy are inspirational as well.

These are quotes from his wiki page:

Quote:
Be formless... shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You pour water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put water into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or creep or drip or crash! Be water, my friend.

Quote:
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Quote:
All types of knowledge, ultimately leads to self knowledge.

Quote:
Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it.

Quote:
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

Quote:
Quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough.

Quote:
I always learn something, and that is: to always be yourself. And to express yourself, to have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate him.

Quote:
It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Pacers4ever
Banned

Pacers4ever has an OK reputation so far

His death to me makes me feel depressed. It's like reading a book and no ahead of time it has no sequel so you get anxious as you're nearing it's end only to find out that it's ending is somewhat opened ended/anti-climatic and makes you feel wanting more about the story. It's sad Bruce Lee went out that way.
Pacers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512

I think he was even more dedicated to his craft than MJ or Kobe.

Bruce Lee is who MJ and Kobe aspire to in terms of striving to perfect what they do. Lee was insanely rigorous about fine-tuning the machinery that was the symbiosis of physique and mind.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
hon hon hon eat snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
MJ wasn't half the pioneer Lee was. There were a gang of dudes before Jordan who established the sport. Also MJ couldn't hold a candle to Lee in the sense of overall wisdom with quotes. "Republicans wear sneakers too" has to be one of the most stupid and unenlightening things ever said. Lol.

There are more alike than you think. Jordan may not be a philosopher like Lee but Jordan in his own right has experience all of us could benefit from.

Just like Jordan had predecessors so did Lee.

Seen the movies "Ip Man" and Jet Li's Fearless, in which Li portrays an early 20th century martial arts icon named "Huo Yuanjia." "Yip Man" (proper spelling) is the original instructor of Lee and in his own right he is a Michael Jordan within the Chinese community.

Lee didn't establish martial arts as an institute (like Huo Yuanjia did for China). He was using them as a stepping stone to a Hollywood career and philosophy and martial arts were his gimmicks to get his foot in the door.

Both Lee and Jordan are captivating individuals who popularized their sport globally. Bill Russell, Wilt, Kareem, were limited to basketball fanatics and pundits. Most casual fans from anywhere in the world couldn't name George Mikan, Bill Russell, Wilt, KAJ etc...Just as Yip Man and Huo Yuanjia were limited to being known only in Asia/China.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
hon hon hon eat snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
I think he was even more dedicated to his craft than MJ or Kobe.

Bruce Lee is who MJ and Kobe aspire to in terms of striving to perfect what they do. Lee was insanely rigorous about fine-tuning the machinery that was the symbiosis of physique and mind.

I don't know about MJ but wasn't there an article on the main NBA forum about how Kobe was working out and shooting all throughout the night and stayed for 11 am scrimmage before the Olympics' preparation?

Heck you could even say Drazen Petrovic lived across the gym he worked out at and didn't have a social life. All he did was lift and shoot jumpers.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
His fighting philosophy are inspirational as well.

These are quotes from his wiki page:
If you like his philosophy, check out Alan Watts' speeches, Lee was naturally influenced by Zen Buddhism and Eastern philosophy.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Bruce playing ping pong with nunchucks is prob the most impressive thing I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 03-19-2013 at 07:10 AM.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
BigByrd
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BigByrd has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Bruce playing ping pong with nunchucks is prob the most impressive thing I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA

It's not real though and it isn't Bruce Lee
BigByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: