Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 14,009
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

So basically, you listened to other people and then raised your expectations to an unattainable level? The show wasn't the problem. I'd say your level of expectations was probably the problem. IMO, that's not the correct frame of mind to go in to watching a show (or pretty much anything for that matter). I'd say it's certainly your loss if you're going to give up on the show without giving it a real chance. Sit back, relax and try to enjoy the effing show instead of trying to nitpick stupid things like a contrarian.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,446
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

I could have predicted Andgar’s opinion of The Wire. His favorite brand is Apple, his favorite band is The Beatles, his favorite current show is apparently Game of Thrones.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually like all of those things. But still, these things all share similar traits in a way and are telling of Andgar's taste. Apple is known for their aesthetically pleasing, easy to use computer products. The Beatles are known for their instantly catchy songs and universal appeal. Game of Thrones is essentially a very slick and simplified cliffnotes version of ASOIAF.

What they all share is that they are some of the most accessible brands within their respective segment. Which is good. However, accessibility also tends to come at the expense of depth, which is clearly the case for all of these things.

The Wire is the opposite of that, it’s value doesn’t show on the surface. It's not slick, it's not simple, it's not catchy. Instead it’s introspective, symbolic and heady. It’s exactly like the sort of stuff I figure someone like Andgar wouldn’t appreciate.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

LOL @ all the personal attacks

I guess some of you can't form an objective argument.

Never did I say that the show sucked now did I?

And to Jackass, you have a slight point. But there's been other shows that I've seen that met or surpassed the hype. It's hard not to get impacted by anything none of us are impression less and I always try to detach myself from the hype. If I had seen the Wire without any of the hype I would've said it was a good show highly recommended. Only reason this thread exists is because the hype around it is monumental. Like I stated, a large amount of people online consider it GOAT, which it is not.

But some of the replies only make my case.

Some of you need to work on your predictable comebacks and learn how to make better arguments.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
I could have predicted Andgar’s opinion of The Wire. His favorite brand is Apple, his favorite band is The Beatles, his favorite current show is apparently Game of Thrones.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually like all of those things. But still, these things all share similar traits in a way and are telling of Andgar's taste. Apple is known for their aesthetically pleasing, easy to use computer products. The Beatles are known for their instantly catchy songs and universal appeal. Game of Thrones is essentially a very slick and simplified cliffnotes version of ASOIAF.

What they all share is that they are some of the most accessible brands within their respective segment. Which is good. However, accessibility also tends to come at the expense of depth, which is clearly the case for all of these things.



The Wire is the opposite of that, it’s value doesn’t show on the surface. It's not slick, it's not simple, it's not catchy. Instead it’s introspective, symbolic and heady. It’s exactly like the sort of stuff I figure someone like Andgar wouldn’t appreciate.

Beatles isn't my fav band
Game of Thrones isn't my current fav show.

The Wire isn't as deep as ya'll make out to be, it isn't as "heady" as you think it is… at least not for me it aint, might be the case for you, but not for me.

LOL @ your attacks on me.

Grow up
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,446
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Personal attacks?

It's not exactly a secret that you prefer shiny and simplified over more complex and challenging. If you think that's an attack you need to get more comfortable with your own identity.

Read your opening post again. The body of your argument is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Acting was good, rarely great. The big bad drug dealers were not, nothing original, nothing groundbreaking, nothing spectacular, shit… the f*ckin music they played sucked ass. Hardcore drug dealers listening to 'It Takes Two' in the 90s??? Howabout D'Angelo looking like a dyke (say I'm lying)

What, you expect intelligent replies? No. You get what you deserve.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Personal attacks?

It's not exactly a secret that you prefer shiny and simplified over more complex and challenging. If you think that's an attack you need to get more comfortable with your own identity.

Read your opening post again. The body of your argument is this:



What, you expect intelligent replies? No. You get what you deserve.

LOL

You know me so well because I like Apple products,

I tried adding some quick tidbits for fun, whoopee!!! I still made my main point, it isn't what ya'll say it is. This groundbreaking revolutionary show. That my friend was the Sopranos, Simpsons, Twilight Zone to name a few.

None of the characters are original.
None of the plot lines are original.

As some mentioned on another thread, this is a plot driven show. They touch briefly on some of the character's lives, they attempt to do some character analysis but it's just that…. a touch. Given, only so much you can cover on a show with such a large cast, but this show is primarily plot driven.

A plot that's been done to death before, with characters that have existed before. Done well I agree, but when doing a show such as this introduce something different.

You want an analysis?

Howabout all of the characters being paper cut out cliches.

A cop that has morals and is driven to crack the case but is filled with personal issues
A drug dealer with a heart
Cops tired of their jobs
Corrupt cops
Corrupt higher level officials
The wise old cop that solves crimes


Etc.etc. seriously, if I continue to analyze the shit outta this show I'll continue to expose it. And to top it off, they're linear characters with little to no arc (so far), almost all of them are very predictable.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Stuckey
ifirtworld
 
Stuckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: igloo
Posts: 7,669
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

list 3 better crime dramas

if you say Breaking Bad, would neg
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,446
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

A cop that has morals and is driven to crack the case but is filled with personal issues
A drug dealer with a heart
Cops tired of their jobs
Corrupt cops
Corrupt higher level officials
The wise old cop that solves crimes

Wow, you understood so little about the show or the characters. Keep confirming my biases buddy.

This is what you call an "analysis"?

Wow.

The show isn't even really about the plot or the characters. You failed at even the very basis of the show.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Go Getter
Wild 100's
 
Go Getter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Wasatch Range
Posts: 14,452
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
LOL

You know me so well because I like Apple products,

I tried adding some quick tidbits for fun, whoopee!!! I still made my main point, it isn't what ya'll say it is. This groundbreaking revolutionary show. That my friend was the Sopranos, Simpsons, Twilight Zone to name a few.

None of the characters are original.
None of the plot lines are original.

As some mentioned on another thread, this is a plot driven show. They touch briefly on some of the character's lives, they attempt to do some character analysis but it's just that…. a touch. Given, only so much you can cover on a show with such a large cast, but this show is primarily plot driven.

A plot that's been done to death before, with characters that have existed before. Done well I agree, but when doing a show such as this introduce something different.

You want an analysis?

Howabout all of the characters being paper cut out cliches.

A cop that has morals and is driven to crack the case but is filled with personal issues
A drug dealer with a heart
Cops tired of their jobs
Corrupt cops
Corrupt higher level officials
The wise old cop that solves crimes


Etc.etc. seriously, if I continue to analyze the shit outta this show I'll continue to expose it. And to top it off, they're linear characters with little to no arc (so far), almost all of them are very predictable.


You never watched the whole series so commenting on it's layers is pretty pretentious.

The seasons on the school system and the one on Baltimore politics were deeper than I've seen on TV. The authenticity of the show is about as good as it gets for TV. The fact that you don't see it probably means that you can't identify with the themes or characters.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
You never watched the whole series so commenting on it's layers is pretty pretentious.

The seasons on the school system and the one on Baltimore politics were deeper than I've seen on TV. The authenticity of the show is about as good as it gets for TV. The fact that you don't see it probably means that you can't identify with the themes or characters.

I mentioned that I only saw the first season. Perhaps you're correct, it may develop into something more as seasons progress.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Wow, you understood so little about the show or the characters. Keep confirming my biases buddy.

This is what you call an "analysis"?

Wow.

The show isn't even really about the plot or the characters. You failed at even the very basis of the show.

So I'm lying?

Correct me then.

And of course that isn't a full analysis, it was a simple rundown.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,910
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

you've only watched the first season??

this is the equivalent of walking out of a good movie after 20 minutes and then complaining to your friends who saw the whole thing

shut up and watch the rest of it
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,446
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
So I'm lying?

Correct me then.

And of course that isn't a full analysis, it was a simple rundown.

You want me to spoil the whole thing for you?

That's all the hints I care to give, the real meat of the show is not the plot or the characters. It's not about that. That's not the subject of the show.

Also the way you think of the characters, like "the cop with morals, the drug dealer with a heart" is a completely wrong train of thought for this show. Just a word of advice.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 17,910
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

the show is intended as a dramatic rendition of an institutional analysis more or less. its not about the way people are, its an explanation for why they do what seems inexplicable.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #30
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,340
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
list 3 better crime dramas

if you say Breaking Bad, would neg

Sopranos
OZ

Don't really watch too many (or any) crime dramas on tv since most of them are the same and almost all of them are on network tv. I haven't seen the Shield so I can't comment on it.

And YES Wire is a good show, never said it wasn't.

Again, do most of you not understand what the term 'overrated' is?

To refresh everybody's memory, many have said it was the GOAT show. Not GOAT crime drama but GOAT show period and that's my main reason for this thread.

In regards to BB vs Wire….

BB >>>> Wire in regards to acting
BB>>>> Wire in regards to directing
BB>>>> Wire in regards to cinematography
BB>>>> Wire originality
BB>>>> Wire in regards to characters

I would say Wire> BB in regards to writing, due to some of BB's issues from time to time. But BB is at least more original, and nothing that Wire covers hasn't been covered in BB at some extent. There's no clear winner when it comes to writing because for all the Wire's realism, it has also been done before on other venues. BB brings more originality (not completely, but more so than Wire). And let's not pretend that BB is a slouch either, some are trying to paint it that way but it's far from it.

BB>>>> Wire as far as overall entertainment value and more engaging

I honestly don't give a shit about any character on the Wire. I kinda cared about Wallace but he got killed. I don't care what happens to them the next episode, I don't care what happened to them before. I am however pulled into BB character's lives. I want to know as much as I can about some of them. I find them more interesting than the ones from the Wire. Perhaps because I've seen the characters from the Wire other times (?) Omar may be the most original character on Wire. A gay stick up man, I doubt that's ever been done before on any medium (perhaps OZ).

You're gonna have to neg me, cause BB>>Wire
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy