Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected posterBalla_Status is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Coming from a guy that's a huge fan of the overrated shit band Radiohead.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #47
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pretty sure I can never watch Breaking Bad now because of the way some ISHers seem to overrate it. I'll prob end up sitting there picking out flaws instead of being able to enjoy the show.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Yo I remember when my friend first played me radiohead, lmao....I really wasnt feeling it and I said it was like sleepy time music....no instrumentation.....kinda boring....he practically ended our friendship on the spot lmao
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #49
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

The Wire is one of the best shows I've ever seen
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #50
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The only thing I hate about the show is the name. "The Wire" is a terrible name. Should have been called "Baltimore". Simple. Relatable. The Wire? C'mon....just a bad name.

Other than that, excellent show on every level.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #51
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Interesting point-of-view, OP. Completely wrong, but interesting.

Just kidding... Like music, television can be as much personal preference as anything. I think The Wire should be mandatory viewing for anyone who feels they don't know what's going on or can't relate to street culture or violence perpetrated by the War on Drugs.

I felt The Wire was so much more than a television show. It exposed a lot of flaws in how, what and who is prosecuted in the United States.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #52
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

I don't like The Wire either. Tried watching a few episodes, never got hooked.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #53
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

you watch one season and proclaim the series to be overrated?

Having said that, season 2 is the weakest.. Season 3, 4, and 5 are the best.

The Wire, The Sopranos, Seinfeld, and Arrested Development are probably my favorite shows of all time.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #54
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
you watch one season and proclaim the series to be overrated?

Having said that, season 2 is the weakest.. Season 3, 4, and 5 are the best.

The Wire, The Sopranos, Seinfeld, and Arrested Development are probably my favorite shows of all time.

season 5 is the weakest, season 2 is underrated, I hated it at first but it's deep breh
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #55
FPJ

FPJ has no real reputation yet.

You guys need to understand that the Wire isnt for everybody. Its GOAT show in my opinion but i can understand why people who like FRIENDS or Star Trek might not enjoy it.
FPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #56
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #57
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
I'm not sticking up for Radiohead, but dude. Hawker. Oasis.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #58
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
season 5 is the weakest, season 2 is underrated, I hated it at first but it's deep breh
Agreed. The thing that makes Season 2 difficult for people is that it introduces so many new characters and deviates from the street aspect. However, The Wire was never about following a specific narrative every season. It was about showing every aspect of the War on Drugs and just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Getting the drugs into the country is a major part of that.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #59
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I've been waiting to watch this show for years. The hype around this around the inter webs had me salivating. ....

To be honest/fair I just saw the first season, and I'm really not anxious to begin season 2. Game of Thrones immediately grabbed me, the quality stood out from the get go.

you're being short sighted.

whether or not you're into it, the Wire can NOT be evaluated after one fukcing chapter. it's an epic story. it's not episodic.

although since i couldn't have summed it up much better than this review, read this:

Quote:
“The Wire” has the steepest learning curve of any show I can think of, but that makes sense, given how the series slowly and deliberately weaves together such a dense system of cause-and-effect, involving cops, lawyers, politicians, union leaders and drug dealers in an intricate network of favors for favors.

For all the show’s density, though, there’s humor, insight and inner conflict in almost every scene.

...In other words, this is not television crafted to bring cheap satisfaction.

Once you start to understand that the street thug may be more of an idealist than the cop pursuing him, or start to wonder whether the dockworker whose bribes have led to a horrifying pileup of deaths is an honorable guy or a juvenile idiot, things get increasingly uncomfortable.

........“The Wire” might be too slow-paced and complicated for a lot of viewers — it’s no “24,” after all.

But it’s gratifying to watch this series captain a whole new exploration of the form, leaving the standard conventions of episodic television flailing in its wake.

If, after watching this series, a TV drama starts to look like a haiku, it’s because “The Wire” is, by comparison, an epic poem.

Like “The Odyssey,” “The Wire” invites us into a world that’s complex yet harmonious, darkly imaginative and, above all, deeply human.

LINK
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #60
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdunksby is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I'm not sticking up for Radiohead, but dude. Hawker. Oasis.
Repped!
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: