Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #121
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLJJ is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
I'm sure the real Omar has some great war stories and I'm well aware that Ms. Pearson has some dirt on her and spent 6 years in prison for killing another woman, as well as a recent drug bust she was involved in. I was just addressing a poster's assertion that the Sopranos was like a cartoon compared to the Wire, which clearly had the more outlandish characters and situations.

But I'm sure someone will fill me in on the exploits of the real nation of Islam, dead eye aim, bowtie wearing, one man muscle squad Brother Mouzone

Awww that was months ago, that's sweet that you still carry that with you. My criticisms of The Sopranos really hit you hard.

Funny that I even agree with you in this instance. Snoop and Brother Mouzone are two of my least favorite characters in The Wire, and Omar's supernatural feats annoyed me. I've criticized those characters years ago on this webzone, so no one can really pick at me for consistency. I definitely don't think The Wire is beyond criticism by any stretch, it's far from perfect. As long as it's valid criticism I'm totally cool.

It is kind of shameful though that you are deliberately trying to turn this thread into another Sopranos vs. The Wire thread. I understand your soul is burning, but we had that thread already. Bump that one if you must.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #122
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Awww that was months ago, that's sweet that you still carry that with you. My criticisms of The Sopranos really hit you hard.

Funny that I even agree with you in this instance. Snoop and Brother Mouzone are two of my least favorite characters in The Wire, and Omar's supernatural feats annoyed me. I've criticized those characters years ago on this webzone, so no one can really pick at me for consistency. I definitely don't think The Wire is beyond criticism by any stretch, it's far from perfect. As long as it's valid criticism I'm totally cool.

It is kind of shameful though that you are deliberately trying to turn this thread into another Sopranos vs. The Wire thread. I understand your soul is burning, but we had that thread already. Bump that one if you must.

The hilarious thing is I have absolutely no clue who you are

Read back in this thread, I was addressing another poster.

But good to see you agree, that's something I guess
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #123
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I agree, it depends on the kind of show in question.

A show such as The Wire needs more realistic characters, not as bombastic, whereas The Sopranos can even benefit from it. Sure the Sopranos wants realism, but they're not trying to be what the Wire was.

Only brought it up is because some knocked the Wire and BB for having over the top characters, but they're not trying to be a documentary-ish type show a la Wire.

Fair enough, but IMO Breaking Bad has a lot more issues than just over the top characters, but I'm sure that's a topic for another thread.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #124
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

So you conclude the Wire is an overrated show from watching one season in a five season series? OP is not serious about life. Sounds like just an attention whoring thread.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #125
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
also the ring little story line in the wire. omar took it from marlo at a card game, the cop took it from omar then michael took it from the cop. marlo asks mike where he got it from and he said "took it from some *****" marlo thought mike took it from omar, which immediately made marlo respect mike more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKpMtLioUU
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #126
Raymone
The Chosen King

Raymone has decent reputation

I finally forced myself to watch the full first two seasons of this show. Holy shit, I do not see the appeal. At least not to the level it gets exalted. The only interesting characters to me are Omar and Stringer. The rest are either flat, poorly written or poorly acted. McNulty; boring. The black detectives; meh. The lesbian cop getting shot; are we supposed to feel something?

Oh, and the scene where Barksdale's nephew gets murdered in prison is some of the worst acting I've ever seen. Not even kidding. I wasn't thinking, "Oh wow, a main character is getting choked out!" I was thinking, "I'm watching an actor unconvincingly pretend to get strangled."

The only thing holding this show up at all is the plot and the acting from Williams and Elba. I don't think I'll make it into season 3. Verdict confirmed: overrated.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #127
KyrieTheFuture
College superstar

KyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputation

Of course someone with your terrible taste dislikes this show
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #128
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has decent reputation

The show came out like 13 years ago....prolly seems a little dated now...

but it was good when it first aired
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #129
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

The main character was using an Android.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #130
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterimdaman99 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Doesn't surprise me blandgar dislikes the Wire

Overrate apple and underrate the Wire. iSheep
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #131
dazzer87
College star

dazzer87 is starting to rub some people the wrong waydazzer87 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Sooooo Breaking BAd >>>> The Wire and Sopranos????

breaking bad is overrated....turned that shit off after first episode
dazzer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #132
iznogood
Serious playground baller

iznogood has an OK reputation so far

I agree with those that say Wire is great, but not that great. I remember watching The Wire for the first time and being completely hooked (the 2nd season was my favourite). It was my favourite show for a long time. However, I think it was mostly because I'm from Europe and not really familiar with the environment portrayed in The Wire.

Watching the show for the second time I admit I had a hard time watching it once I knew what the plot was about. I appreciate the fact that the show gave a very good inside in the way systems work and also presented another angle on the war on drugs, but at the same time I think it was often too simplified or sometimes very cheap or just wrong. I also felt like there was a lot of stuff thrown in just to keep the level of authenticity and I thought it killed the dramatic part of the show. I feel the same way about Treme, which was done by the same people and is basically The Wire happening in New Orleans. Bringing in a lot of authentic characters and locations to cover for the lack of story or some writing that felt very cheesy to me. I get it, life is neither simple not fair. I feel many people get overwhelmed by the show like I was when I watched it for the first time and then call out people who don't like it for not being able to "understand" it, which I find funny, since I don't think the ideas the show presents are particularly difficult to understand, unless you're not educated.

I also thought some of the acting was very bad, which is understood considering the fact a lot of the people in the show are not trained actors. I thought Marlo, Snoop and Chris were all bad even though I thought the Marlo storyline was really good. Also I hated the way McNulty and Bunk were portrayed. I love Idris Elba, but he just seemed like a naive douchebag and was not convincing to me at all. I also thought there was a lot of good acting, but on average it felt nothing special.

I also thought cinematography could be better. I understand they probably didn't want to make any "nice" shots to keep the feel of the city kind of ugly and bad, but they could've done it much better. Most of it just looks pretty boring.

I also strongly disagree with the poster who suggested the comedy elements were better in The Wire than in Sopranos. I actually hated most of the humour in The Wire, most of it was extremely cheesy and very simple. Sopranos are very subtle in that aspect, but there's a lot of stuff in that's just ridiculously funny.

All in all, Sopranos and The Wire are 2 very different shows, but I think the level of acting, writing, depth and level of detail can't be compared. Sopranos are simply a better show. I don't even think The Wire is as good as Oz, Deadwood or Twin Peaks in that aspects. Fargo and True Detective also both looked nothing short of amazing so far, but it's to early to tell.
iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #133
iznogood
Serious playground baller

iznogood has an OK reputation so far

I agree with those that say Wire is great, but not that great. I remember watching The Wire for the first time and being completely hooked (the 2nd season was my favourite). It was my favourite show for a long time. However, I think it was mostly because I'm from Europe and not really familiar with the environment portrayed in The Wire.

Watching the show for the second time I admit I had a hard time watching it once I knew what the plot was about. I appreciate the fact that the show gave a very good inside in the way systems work and also presented another angle on the war on drugs, but at the same time I think it was often too simplified or sometimes very cheap or just wrong. I also felt like there was a lot of stuff thrown in just to keep the level of authenticity and I thought it killed the dramatic part of the show. I feel the same way about Treme, which was done by the same people and is basically The Wire happening in New Orleans. Bringing in a lot of authentic characters and locations to cover for the lack of story or some writing that felt very cheesy to me. I get it, life is neither simple not fair. I feel many people get overwhelmed by the show like I was when I watched it for the first time and then call out people who don't like it for not being able to "understand" it, which I find funny, since I don't think the ideas the show presents are particularly difficult to understand, unless you're not educated.

I also thought some of the acting was very bad, which is understood considering the fact a lot of the people in the show are not trained actors. I thought Marlo, Snoop and Chris were all bad even though I thought the Marlo storyline was really good. Also I hated the way McNulty and Bunk were portrayed. I love Idris Elba, but he just seemed like a naive douchebag and was not convincing to me at all. I also thought there was a lot of good acting, but on average it felt nothing special.

I also thought cinematography could be better. I understand they probably didn't want to make any "nice" shots to keep the feel of the city kind of ugly and bad, but they could've done it much better. Most of it just looks pretty boring.

I also strongly disagree with the poster who suggested the comedy elements were better in The Wire than in Sopranos. I actually hated most of the humour in The Wire, most of it was extremely cheesy and very simple. Sopranos are very subtle in that aspect, but there's a lot of stuff in that's just ridiculously funny.

All in all, Sopranos and The Wire are 2 very different shows, but I think the level of acting, writing, depth and level of detail can't be compared. Sopranos are simply a better show. I don't even think The Wire is as good as Oz, Deadwood or Twin Peaks in that aspects. Fargo and True Detective also both looked nothing short of amazing so far, but it's to early to tell.

Last edited by iznogood : 11-13-2014 at 05:04 AM.
iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: