Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy
 
n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inside VC's MOM
Posts: 1,283
n00bie is considered somewhat cooln00bie is considered somewhat cool
Default Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/9...-bail-out.html

This shit is not going to end well. You can't just steal money from peoples bank accounts.

They also froze all bank activity so people won't be able to withdraw their money. Can you imagine if that shit happened in North America?!?!
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado
 
East_Stone_Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East_Side_Of_The_Rawkus
Posts: 5,174
East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bie
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/9...-bail-out.html

This shit is not going to end well. You can't just steal money from peoples bank accounts.

They also froze all bank activity so people won't be able to withdraw their money. Can you imagine if that shit happened in North America?!?!


one of the commentators states a reason

Quote:
Employ thousands of over-paid civil servants in non-jobs and spend and borrow until bust.
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy
 
n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inside VC's MOM
Posts: 1,283
n00bie is considered somewhat cooln00bie is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
one of the commentators states a reason

May be true, but that doesn't give the right for banks to just steal money from people.
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,883
LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bie
May be true, but that doesn't give the right for banks to just steal money from people.

People put their money in Cypriotic banks because it's a tax haven and they get insanely high rates on their savings. It's a known high risk-high reward place for your savings account. Given that, the majority of the people losing some money here (foreign investors) can't really come crying when the notably higher risk they knowingly took went sour. Playing with fire.


Essentially the idea behind this tax is quite a bit more fair than the other options. You cover the costs of the financial instability in Cyprus through the benefactors of said instability, which seems pretty fair. The other option is to let people who had nothing to do with it foot the bill indirectly.


That said, fair as the measure might be in theory, it's the dumbest thing I ever heard. If they want to save face for the Euro they should have backed Cyprus completely and cleaned the financial system from the inside out. If they wanted to dole out some tough love they simply should have watched Cyprus go bankrupt before doing anything. What they decided to do though, is both at the same time. They are destroying Cyprus financial industry while taking all the blame for that on themselves, while still poring money into it. It's the dumbest thing.

Last edited by LJJ : 03-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,685
Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bie
Can you imagine if that shit happened in North America?!?!


With this economy, I can.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?
 
Lebowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,434
Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
People put their money in Cypriotic banks because it's a tax haven and they get insanely high rates on their savings. It's a known high risk-high reward place for your savings account. Given that, the majority of the people losing some money here (foreign investors) can't really come crying when the notably higher risk they knowingly took went sour. Playing with fire.


Essentially the idea behind this tax is quite a bit more fair than the other options. You cover the costs of the financial instability in Cyprus through the benefactors of said instability, which seems pretty fair. The other option is to let people who had nothing to do with it foot the bill indirectly.


That said, fair as the measure might be in theory, it's the dumbest thing I ever heard. If they want to save face for the Euro they should have backed Cyprus completely and cleaned the financial system from the inside out. If they wanted to dole out some tough love they simply should have watched Cyprus go bankrupt before doing anything. What they decided to do though, is both at the same time. They are destroying Cyprus financial industry while taking all the blame for that on themselves, while still poring money into it. It's the dumbest thing.

Well, stupid as it may be, can't say it surprises me much. EU's economic policies have been rather erratic since the good old crysis struck, to put it nicely.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
CeltsGarlic
Real quick
 
CeltsGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 7,678
CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

I hope jeff wont charge it.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy
 
n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inside VC's MOM
Posts: 1,283
n00bie is considered somewhat cooln00bie is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Cyprus Banks Taking 10% From Citizens!

Now they proposing to only tax accounts over $100,000... but tax 15.6%

Russian mob is NOT going to be happy.

http://sgtreport.com/2013/03/latest-...ligarchs-15-6/
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy