Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation
Default Man, slavery was (is) f'd up

I was just getting sick to my stomach reading about slavery in the southern colonies. 15 hour+ work days, very little time for breaks, sexual abuse, brutal whippings if you weren't doing a good job. We all learned this in 7th grade but just re-reading it as an adult is pretty sickening.

Then I was reading something I hadn't heard before Nat Turner's slave rebellion. Jeez, really vicious stuff. Killing 60 white people with axes, knives, blunt instruments, etc. Brutal. This then inspired the southern government to pass laws banning the education of blacks, teaching them to read, write, or even practice religion without a white person present. Southern whites also killed like 200 black slaves in response to the rebellion.

It's unbelievable that things like that were put into LAW, less than 200 years ago. Again it's not a news flash, but it's just jarring when I think about it. I get pissed at some black people for still having such a grudge against white people all the time, but reading this I felt did solidify my perspective on things a little.

Then I think about how cool it is that I often go down to the basketball court, run games with white people, black people, everyone just having a good time hanging out. Pretty damn cool.

Anyway, here's what I read. Pretty sick stuff, def. not anything you haven't seen before. But sick nonetheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treatme..._United_States
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Man, slavery was (is) f'd up

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

...i think someone hacked Joe's account.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
...i think someone hacked Joe's account.

hahaha, why do you say that?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
joe
College superstar

My non economic threads need some work I'll admit. They gets no love.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
joe
College superstar

Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Yea Slavery is F'd up but lets not forget that similar conditions do exist in the modern era. Parts of the Arab word disgust me when it comes to what is basically foreign slave workers.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
hahaha, why do you say that?

I just didn't expect this from you. I kept waiting for when you were going to get into how despite how bad slavery was, its no excuse for whatever black people complain about today,.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
joe
College superstar

Quote:
I just didn't expect this from you. I kept waiting for when you were going to get into how despite how bad slavery was, its no excuse for whatever black people complain about today,.

Hm, interesting. Is it that you classify me as the type of person who would hold that opinion about black people generally, or was it just this specific post itself that you thought was going on that direction?

You really don't have to answer, I'm just in an inquisitive mood. har har harrrrrr.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Yea Slavery is F'd up but lets not forget that similar conditions do exist in the modern era. Parts of the Arab word disgust me when it comes to what is basically foreign slave workers.

For sure, I didn't expand on it but that's what I was getting at with the "(is)" in the title.

I remember in Sophomore year sociology, when my teacher told us there's more slavery today than at any point in history. I'm not 100% sure if he's accurate, but that just blew my mind. Human beings are savages man.

Something that I find interesting is that as the West became more rich, slavery went in the other direction. That leaves some hope that maybe slavery has a lot more to do with economic causes than just a natural human perversion for power and control. Maybe not on an individual level, but culturally anyway.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Hm, interesting. Is it that you classify me as the type of person who would hold that opinion about black people generally, or was it just this specific post itself that you thought was going on that direction?

You really don't have to answer, I'm just in an inquisitive mood. har har harrrrrr.

Not even a black thing really. I just see you as the type who doesn't like excuses or those who rely on a crutch to excuse their shortcomings. I'm black and i think that while slavery had a great impact on the future of blacks in America, much of what's wrong with black people today has to do with the culture and not the past. So if i think this, you are the last person i'd expect to see thinking of slavery as a reason why black people have something to complain about.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Not even a black thing really. I just see you as the type who doesn't like excuses or those who rely on a crutch to excuse their shortcomings. I'm black and i think that while slavery had a great impact on the future of blacks in America, much of what's wrong with black people today has to do with the culture and not the past. So if i think this, you are the last person i'd expect to see thinking of slavery as a reason why black people have something to complain about.

Interesting, you know I really don't see myself as being anti-excuse. I think there are a lot of good excuses for a lot of people not doing the right thing. I believe in just constantly trying to find new ways to look at things so you can figure out how to get past the (legit) excuse. I do think a lot of black people are held back by reasons outside of their control. But in a sense I do feel that as time goes by you need to take some personal responsibility and overcome these things, so in a way you're right about me.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #13
joe
College superstar

I'm not black so it's hard to know how much of it is self imposed and how much isn't. The gangsta glorification culture is the biggest problem. There's just so much negativity in those neighborhoods. 50 Cent: "It ain't good to do good in my hood." Wtf. I wasn't dirt poor growing up, but we were lower on the spectrum and had a lot of that gangsta culture in our area. Having a lot of poor family and being the "richest" out of us growing up, my parents and our family had relatives steal from us and the whole nine. There's just an attitude of taking what you want instead of working for it. I remember as a teenager always thinking that stealing from a company like Wal-Mart wasn't really "wrong," because they were just a company so.. screw them. I never stole from them but I knew people who did and it didn't bother me at all.

But as my (black, buff as hell, former weighlifting champion) brother in law told me, 99% of it is economic. The poorer people are, the more they're going to steal and commit crime. I believe that to an extent, but I wonder how much of that is cultural. Do the economics create the culture, or are they separate? Cause if not, our morals are basically just slaves to the economic situation we're in. But maybe that is the case.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I'm not black so it's hard to know how much of it is self imposed and how much isn't. The gangsta glorification culture is the biggest problem. There's just so much negativity in those neighborhoods. 50 Cent: "It ain't good to do good in my hood." Wtf. I wasn't dirt poor growing up, but we were lower on the spectrum and had a lot of that gangsta culture in our area. Having a lot of poor family and being the "richest" out of us growing up, my parents and our family had relatives steal from us and the whole nine. There's just an attitude of taking what you want instead of working for it. I remember as a teenager always thinking that stealing from a company like Wal-Mart wasn't really "wrong," because they were just a company so.. screw them. I never stole from them but I knew people who did and it didn't bother me at all.

But as my (black, buff as hell, former weighlifting champion) brother in law told me, 99% of it is economic. The poorer people are, the more they're going to steal and commit crime. I believe that to an extent, but I wonder how much of that is cultural. Do the economics create the culture, or are they separate? Cause if not, our morals are basically just slaves to the economic situation we're in. But maybe that is the case.

For me, the problem is lack of dedication to education. Give all those claiming they steal or rely solely on government funds because they're broke a million dollars a piece, and they would be broke before the year is out. When your culture puts greater emphasis on being flashy and special, you don't take the time to think of how to have any depth within your character.

I always see the black culture as the baby of America. Everyone has deeper roots somewhere else and willingly came here with an objection. Black people were brought here, transformed, and then disowned. So what you have is a baby culture trying to stand out for all the wrong reasons because it doesn't have a foundation to stabilize it. Unfortunately the lack of foundation has over powered the few gems that have preached a positive message.

The only bright spot in this is that the black culture is a relatively small demographic in comparison to many other races. So if kept small, its more manageable and change is more likely once the initiative is taken from within the culture. We'll never evolve without trial and error to show us we have the ability to learn from ourselves.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

So black guys are name "Joe" and white guys are name "P. tiddy and L. Drizzle?"

This is going to take some getting used to.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: