Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
joe
College superstar

Default Re: Man, slavery was (is) f'd up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
For me, the problem is lack of dedication to education. Give all those claiming they steal or rely solely on government funds because they're broke a million dollars a piece, and they would be broke before the year is out. When your culture puts greater emphasis on being flashy and special, you don't take the time to think of how to have any depth within your character.

I always see the black culture as the baby of America. Everyone has deeper roots somewhere else and willingly came here with an objection. Black people were brought here, transformed, and then disowned. So what you have is a baby culture trying to stand out for all the wrong reasons because it doesn't have a foundation to stabilize it. Unfortunately the lack of foundation has over powered the few gems that have preached a positive message.

The only bright spot in this is that the black culture is a relatively small demographic in comparison to many other races. So if kept small, its more manageable and change is more likely once the initiative is taken from within the culture. We'll never evolve without trial and error to show us we have the ability to learn from ourselves.

When a black person first learns about slavery, what is it like? Like as a kid being told about that history, is it like how a Mom would tell her kid that the family dog died? Like a huge emotional moment? Or does it become something you don't really grasp emotionally at the time? Or does it just seem like something that happened long ago with no relevance to you? I know for me, slavery was just another thing I learned about. It really wasn't any different than learning about the Athens-Sparta war, except that I didn't know any athens and spartans. Just a historical event.

I never felt that I gained any strength from my roots, although I always loved my Italian roots. Just the whole "mafia" feeling of it, even though my Italian family definitely wasn't in the mafia. haha.

I think in a lot of ways black people have been "chosen" to be helped, and it hurts them more than it helps. So many companies are afraid to hire black people because the precedent is, they can sue you if you fire them in anyway that can be construed as unjustly. And even if it's a BS lawsuit, just the legal fees alone can be a killer, especially for a small business. Same thing is going on with handicap people now, following the Americans w/ Disabilities act. It's really counter intuitive I feel, but it seems the more you try and help someone in a legal sense, you're just putting barriers up built with kindness..
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
So black guys are name "Joe" and white guys are name "P. tiddy and L. Drizzle?"

This is going to take some getting used to.

No no no, I'm white sir. And ahem..

Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

If you are going to be whining about slavery, why don't you talk about the slavery that is going on today?

Slavery is no longer in chains, but through the mind: slavery of the mind.

What the slave owners found out when they released the slaves was that they still acted like slaves even though they were free, so a whole new "pyschological mind control" came out of it. Yes psychology was nothing more than a study on how to control people once the slaves were free. All the nitty gritty facts were hidden in government files while the rest of the population were lead to believe it was a study for mental illnesses. The idea was you don't need to use physical force to make someone a slave, you can just indoctrinate them to be one.

You don't think we're all slaves in one way or another. Why do you think the schools are built like prisons: fences, securities acting like prison guards, principals are nothing more than wardens, lunch and recess are the same, uniforms similar to the conformity of prison jump suits, etc.

I think this topic (modern slavery) is a lot more interesting than what happened 200 years ago.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
No no no, I'm white sir. And ahem..

And

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
If you are going to be whining about slavery, why don't you talk about the slavery that is going on today?

Slavery is no longer in chains, but through the mind: slavery of the mind.

What the slave owners found out when they released the slaves was that they still acted like slaves even though they were free, so a whole new "pyschological mind control" came out of it. Yes psychology was nothing more than a study on how to control people once the slaves were free. All the nitty gritty facts were hidden in government files while the rest of the population were lead to believe it was a study for mental illnesses. The idea was you don't need to use physical force to make someone a slave, you can just indoctrinate them to be one.

You don't think we're all slaves in one way or another. Why do you think the schools are built like prisons: fences, securities acting like prison guards, principals are nothing more than wardens, lunch and recess are the same, uniforms similar to the conformity of prison jump suits, etc.

I think this topic (modern slavery) is a lot more interesting than what happened 200 years ago.

I remember in like 3rd grade being in Catholic school at recess, my friends and I staring at the fence and saying how it was just like prison. It was a really deep moment looking back. Kids are way smarter than we give them credit for. I think a lot of kids are smarter than that same person when they become an adult. A lot of silly thoughts and habits just take over peoples humanity as they get older..

But ehhhh, idk. With a loose definition of slavery you're right. But it's not the same as being forced to work 15 hour days in a cotton field or being sold as a sex slave.

A lot of people say that working ='s slavery, and that money ='s slavery. I don't know what these people really expect.. I mean I hate working more than anyone you know, but it's not slavery. You have to contribute in the world to live in it, it's just natural. Food and shelter and entertainment doesn't fall out of the sky..
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
And

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #22
joe
College superstar

Who one starred my thread? Pshhtt, well I one star your Uncle Ted. I know you two made love in bed

and your favorite plant didn't get enough sun it's dead..

Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #23
CeltsGarlic
straight from...

best thing ever is ice cream
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Ehhh at least they got exercise, had awesome voices and could put it up. They (Both AfroAmerican's, Romans, and Arab Slaves) were jacked and I'm sure they made passionate love to their women too.

Modern day office monkeys have all kinds of health problems and go home to nagging wives who won't put out.

So you see, there really is 2 sides to every coin.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
joe
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Ehhh at least they got exercise, had awesome voices and could put it up. They (Both AfroAmerican's, Romans, and Arab Slaves) were jacked and I'm sure they made passionate love to their women too.

Modern day office monkeys have all kinds of health problems and go home to nagging wives who won't put out.

So you see, there really is 2 sides to every coin.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I was just getting sick to my stomach reading about slavery in the southern colonies. 15 hour+ work days, very little time for breaks, sexual abuse, brutal whippings if you weren't doing a good job.

Some folks still think it was benign. There was a dustup at the recent CPAC conference where a presenter who was talking about reaching out to black voters mentioned that Frederick Douglass who was a Republican, forgave his former master and an audience member wondered why?

Quote:
Scott Terry of North Carolina, accompanied by a Confederate-flag-clad attendee, Matthew Heimbach, rose to say he took offense to the event’s take on slavery. (Heimbach founded the White Students Union at Towson University and is described as a “white nationalist” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.)

“It seems to be that you’re reaching out to voters at the expense of young white Southern males,” Terry said, adding he “came to love my people and culture” who were “being systematically disenfranchised.”

Smith responded that Douglass forgave his slavemaster.

“For giving him shelter? And food?” Terry said.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
Balla_Status

Slavery still exists today in the US via alimony.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
KevinNYC
RunThroughTheShots

It's a scary new world.

Last edited by KevinNYC : 03-22-2013 at 01:06 PM.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #29
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Who said slavery has ended? Human trafficking is one of the most big business in the world today. Next to the drugs business.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
senelcoolidge
College star

Slavery has been going on since the beginning of mankind. It's still going on now. It's sad and it's sick. If you can stop it that's great. It's good to learn about these things, but move on and try to be a good person to your fellow man.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: