Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Man, slavery was (is) f'd up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz

Here's an actually cool story involving President Obama and the OP's topic:
Genealogists Say Obama Likely A Descendant Of First American Slave
by EYDER PERALTA
July 30, 201212:54 PM

Genealogists at Ancestry.com have two surprises for us today: After years of studying President Obama's family tree, they have concluded that he was likely John Punch's 11th great-grandson. Punch is considered the first documented American slave.

The second surprise: The experts connected President Obama to Punch not through his African father, but through his mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, who was white.

"Two of the most historically significant African Americans in the history of our country are amazingly directly related," Ancestry.com genealogist Joseph Shumway said in a statement. "John Punch was more than likely the genesis of legalized slavery in America. But after centuries of suffering, the Civil War, and decades of civil rights efforts, his 11th great-grandson became the leader of the free world and the ultimate realization of the American Dream."

The New York Times, which has a wonderful story detailing the findings, explains who Punch was:

"In 1640, Mr. Punch, then an indentured servant, escaped from Virginia and went to Maryland. He was captured there and, along with two white servants who had also escaped, was put on trial. His punishment servitude for life was harsher than what the white servants received, and it has led some historians to regard him as the first African to be legally sanctioned as a slave, years before Virginia adopted laws allowing slavery. ...

"The Ancestry.com team used DNA analysis to make the connection, and it also combed through marriage and property records to trace Mr. Obama's maternal ancestry to the time and place where Mr. Punch lived. The company said records suggested that Mr. Punch fathered children with a white woman, who passed her free status on to those children, giving rise to a family of a slightly different name, the Bunches, that ultimately spawned Mr. Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham."

Now, you may have noticed the caveat "likely," earlier in this post. The problem is that the paper trail is not perfect going back to colonial Virginia. But DNA analysis found the Y-DNA in Obama's maternal lineage. That is considered indisputable evidence that Dunham had African ancestors. Genealogists then matched marriage and property records to the time and place where Punch lived. Ancestry.com is making that leap and declaring that Obama is related to Punch.

The Times spoke to two independent genealogists who said the study was solid.

"I'm sure people will be tantalized and try to prove or disprove it," Elizabeth Shown Mills, who specializes in Southern genealogy told the Times. "But what they're saying is very safe and appropriate. I would be tempted myself to try to make that connection."
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Who said slavery has ended? Human trafficking is one of the most big business in the world today. Next to the drugs business.

and the amrs business

it is interesting that these industries are our some of largest
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

A lot of that modern Ron Paul Libertarian "right of the bully" stuff has it's roots in the Southern Confederacy.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat coolAlphaWolf24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Ehhh at least they got exercise, had awesome voices and could put it up. They (Both AfroAmerican's, Romans, and Arab Slaves) were jacked and I'm sure they made passionate love to their women too.

Modern day office monkeys have all kinds of health problems and go home to nagging wives who won't put out.

So you see, there really is 2 sides to every coin.

average office cubacle = 7' X10'

average jail cell = 9' X 11'

Doing a good job gets you more work....
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
joe
College superstar

joe is a pretty well-respected posterjoe is a pretty well-respected posterjoe is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Some folks still think it was benign. There was a dustup at the recent CPAC conference where a presenter who was talking about reaching out to black voters mentioned that Frederick Douglass who was a Republican, forgave his former master and an audience member wondered why?

The whole reason I was reading about slavery to begin with because I was curious how accurate the history I learned was. I ended up just getting caught up in the wikipedia page though and forgot. haha. I seen a quote in there from a slave who was saying that so and so white guy was "A good massa" and it caught me off guard. My first instinct was to think every slave universally hated every slave master, but it seems logical that you try to make the best of a bad situation, stockholm syndrome kicks in and what not. Which to me is a pretty scary/creepy aspect of human nature, but better than just going crazy in those situations I guess.

Last edited by joe : 03-22-2013 at 08:53 PM.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

Bucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this boardBucket_Nakedz is popular on this board

op, have u watched django unchained?
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #37
joe
College superstar

joe is a pretty well-respected posterjoe is a pretty well-respected posterjoe is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
op, have u watched django unchained?

Nah. As I was reading about that Nat Turner slave rebellion I was like holy shit... they should make a movie about this. But isn't Django Unchained basically about that? lol
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #38
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Black people, black people....listen.....you should be THANKFUL there was slavery way back when. Sure it was tough on your ancestors, but what about YOU! You're here in AMERICA! Without slavery, you'd be in some poverty striken country in Africa, possibly dieing of AIDS. So for you as an individual, you should be thanking your lucky stars slavery existed so you are here in the wealthy country of the good ole U.S. and all its benefits.

I think I can speak for all white people when i say, "You're welcome".
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #39
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Black people, black people....listen.....you should be THANKFUL there was slavery way back when. Sure it was tough on your ancestors, but what about YOU! You're here in AMERICA! Without slavery, you'd be in some poverty striken country in Africa, possibly dieing of AIDS. So for you as an individual, you should be thanking your lucky stars slavery existed so you are here in the wealthy country of the good ole U.S. and all its benefits.

I know you are joking at least i hope, but it got me wondering where most black slaves came from. Because as bad as Africa is there are a few spots of stability. If you are from Ghana or parts of Nigeria I think it might be better off than some American hoods. I think another example can be my home country of Somalia. In NA a lot of Somali kids have turned to crime and drugs which has lead to death/prison. Wouldn't those kids be better off back home especially if they are from the more stable region in the North????
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Racist post but just hilarious.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #41
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My great-grandmother, great-grandfather died in slave camps, my grandmother died 10 years ago. She survived the camps, and had scars allover her body, along with her two sisters, and many heath issues. The thing is, they weren't even Jewish, just born a slave in a Nazi camp and she wasn't free until she was already full grown(she didn't know when exactly, no birth certificate/poor record keeping).

My half-sister's father(my step-dad) and his family tree were slaves for a dozen or so generations. He escaped when he was 9 from Uganda. The back of his legs looked like a burn victim, from healed canings and beatings. He passed away last year from heart disease linked to a flurry of issues that occurred physically and dietary from his childhood.

I also have an aunt that is married-in that came from Klamath slave owners in her history. Her grandparents 'owned' a handful of people, something she is not proud of, but she is a total sweetheart herself.

Slavery is indeed, f'd up.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #42
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:

If not for slavery, Africa wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
If not for slavery, Africa wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is.

Africa had slavery before and after the Atlantic Slave trade. What did more damage to Africa is colonialism and redrawing maps cutting off people from resources.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #44
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
Slavery is indeed, f'd up.

Humans in general are
We love drugs, sex and violence on top of that we are lazy fucks

As a result we have the Arms trade, Sex trade, Slave trade, etc. It is interesting that some of those are our largest industries. With that being said I don't want to come off as being judgmental about other people's vices but I think we've all had people close to us that have been negatively effects by the above.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #45
PleezeBelieve
#TeamOhio: 73-9

PleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this board

How ironic is the one the post that said he see's lack of education as the main problem in the Black community when The American White built their wealth and social dominance on the back of Blacks during the slavery era?

Guess it took a lot of education back then to realize how beneficial slave labor can be.
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: