Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board
Default Is it cheating in 2K..

to control an off the ball player on defense?

I was playing a money game yesterday with my roommate, he was minny and I was Houston. He's dirty with Rubio setting up teammates and making layups/driving so I decided to play off the ball with harden, let the cpu d him up, and flank him on drives and passes.

He didn't start biitching about it til 2 minutes left in the game when I hit a three to go up by 11.. So it was bullshit anyway. But is that considered cheap?
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this boardJust2McFly is popular on this board
Default Re: Is it cheating in 2K..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
to control an off the ball player on defense?

I was playing a money game yesterday with my roommate, he was minny and I was Houston. He's dirty with Rubio setting up teammates and making layups/driving so I decided to play off the ball with harden, let the cpu d him up, and flank him on drives and passes.

He didn't start biitching about it til 2 minutes left in the game when I hit a three to go up by 11.. So it was bullshit anyway. But is that considered cheap?
He is just mad that he lost and grasping at straws. He could have switched over and D you up, but he didnt and he lost.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sounds like you're better than him at the game.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Bandito
Banned

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I do that all the time and is not considered cheating if you can do that in game. Your friend is just salty you won.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
Sounds like you're better than him at the game.
He usually beats my ass.. I lost 30 last week over a couple games by a combined like 5 points. I missed 2 game winners and then switched to this strategy and it is so much harder to score on.

But everyone else in the room agreed with him that it was 'like I wasn't really playing him' and it was like playing the computer.. Which is beyond bullshit to me.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
He usually beats my ass.. I lost 30 last week over a couple games by a combined like 5 points. I missed 2 game winners and then switched to this strategy and it is so much harder to score on.

But everyone else in the room agreed with him that it was 'like I wasn't really playing him' and it was like playing the computer.. Which is beyond bullshit to me.
You found a legitimate mechanic to adapt to his style of play. If he can't adapt to score, then he's one dimensional and doesn't understand the game well enough. Adaptation is an important skill that requires understanding the mechanics of the game.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

It's kind of lame to do it all game, but I wouldn't say it's cheating. It should be noted that shots go in at a higher clip when contested by the CPU to add incentive for playing on-ball D.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

imdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat coolimdaman99 is considered somewhat cool

it IS kind of taking the easy way out. instead of trying to play him 1 on 1, you hide behind the computer staying in front of him while you play his computer guys. you know who he is going to pass to because you have played him plenty of times. but it IS a strategy. i say go with it, until he adjusts
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

no such thing as "cheap" when it's competition
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How come he couldn't beat the CPU? seriously? what kind of difficulty were you playing on?
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
How come he couldn't beat the CPU? seriously? what kind of difficulty were you playing on?
Hall of fame..and it was all about Rubio. It's easy to cheese 3s if you're playing with a 3pt shooting ball handler against the cpu, but Rubio doesn't shoot well. This kid will run circles around until he beats me a cpu helps and he hits the open man. You give a guy 15 seconds to dribble around and he will create space if he's any good. But the cpu shadows a lot better and I'm much better at going for steals and blocks of the ball than the cpi is.

I don't do it for every game.. We played paces nets and I would user guard deron and call for doubles on any defender not guarding Joe Johnson.. Because it's too easy to make 3s on a cpu.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
BuGzBuNNy

BuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation hereBuGzBuNNy has a near all-star reputation here

It was a popular complaint when I used to play it online. Playing against friends it's never been brought up, but it does get annoying when everytime I pass the ball to the player one of my friends was guarding he switches off. I think 2K rewards on-ball defense, though, by making a contested shot by a user more effective than that of the cpu
BuGzBuNNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I do it all the time. In fact, only time I actually guard the ball handler is if it's a big man in the post. I don't understand how it's cheating when it's available in-game to do.
It's your friend's fault for not being good enough to adjust to your game style. He just sucks.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Mach_3
Local High School Star

Mach_3 has decent reputationMach_3 has decent reputation

I usually control the center and let the computer guard up and then i just literally stand in the paint and contest everything. The game sucks at calling 3 second violations just like in real life anyway
Mach_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
Theoo
Do not judge this forum on my ridiculous troll typing. I am here to amuse you

Theoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation hereTheoo has an incredible reputation here

doing off ball defense in 2k is a pussygirl move!!! your should defend to him yourslef dont not make there fk** computer to it for you... but your say that he have a cheap moves too with layup / dunk then i think your did a good move , if he play a fk** cheap cheese moves then your can do offball to do that because there is none other way to do defense to that .. but i think in fair game your should always do defenes YOURSELVE, well i never make the computers to my job!!!its my defnese if i wanted watch the computer play then i wouldnt not be playing!!
Theoo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: