Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
AngelEyes
Sentenza

AngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation hereAngelEyes has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Just uploaded videos for 10 NBA finals between '47-'67!

The 70's was the great leap forward for Basketball, with Dr. J and Kareem.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is considered somewhat coolTheMan is considered somewhat cool

My God, I clicked on a few of those videos

Just as I expected, a bunch of slow footed white guys with dubious handles and awkward looking jumpers.

Not impressed in the least.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

Graviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation here

So Bill Russel dominated in that era eh?
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here

Such fundamentally sound players, no doubt in my mind they would dominate todays league....now seriously, I fell asleep half-way through the '47 finals
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
CavaliersFTW
NBA All-star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
Damn that ball handling skills.

Cool videos, btw.
Today's players carry and palm during the dribble and can place their hands anywhere on the ball at any time with an extremely gratuitous amount of hesitations. It requires skill to do, yes, but it's only a skill you can develop if the league allows it. The rules of the game have been heavily bent the past 50 years to allow the kind of dribbling "skill" we see today.

In the 50's and even well into the 1980's players were taught to dribble "palms down" and this was a rule that was once strictly enforced. It loosened up a little in the 60's, and a little more in the 70's especially with the ABA where visual entertainment and style became a premium to keep that league afloat, and during the tail end of the Jordan era coming into the Iverson / Kobe era virtually all the old fashioned dribble rules were basically thrown into the bushes for a more entertaining brand of basketball that showcased individualism and iso style over the more complicated and mundane looking team style ball that involved screen setting, pick and rolls, etc. Showcasing 1 man at a time is more fan friendly. This is why the modern game is all about superstars carrying teams and why modern players appear more fluid and can dribble in 3 dimensions - where as those 50's and early 60's players basically dribble one dimensional. The game back then wasn't catered to taking your man off the dribble.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 03-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #21
Breezy
Great young streetballer

Breezy has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Today's players carry and palm during the dribble and can place their hands anywhere on the ball at any time with an extremely gratuitous amount of hesitations. It requires skill to do, yes, but it's only a skill you can develop if the league allows it. The rules of the game have been heavily bent the past 50 years to allow the kind of dribbling "skill" we see today.

In the 50's and even well into the 1980's players were taught to dribble "palms down" and this was a rule that was once strictly enforced. It loosened up a little in the 60's, and a little more in the 70's especially with the ABA where visual entertainment and style became a premium to keep that league afloat, and during the tail end of the Jordan era coming into the Iverson / Kobe era virtually all the old fashioned dribble rules were basically thrown into the bushes for a more entertaining brand of basketball that showcased individualism and iso style over the more complicated and mundane looking team style ball that involved screen setting, pick and rolls, etc. Showcasing 1 man at a time is more fan friendly. This is why the modern game is all about superstars carrying teams and why modern players appear more fluid and can dribble in 3 dimensions - where as those 50's and early 60's players basically dribble one dimensional. The game back then wasn't catered to taking your man off the dribble.

Thought experiment: For one game if you called the game based on the rules of the 50's Could the lakers of today beat the lakers of mikans era. Or would they be unable to compete due to being called for for Carrying on every possession . Also could Kobe master the one handed set shot?

Final score prediction.

Mikan lakers: 78 points
Kobe lakers: 80 Turnovers
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #22
Dro
College star

Dro has decent reputationDro has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengiskhan
exactly my point.

in order to dribble under EXTREMELY STRICT RULES, your dribbling hand must be on the TOP of the ball all the time.

Even if you accidentially put you dribbling hand on the SIDE of the ball, Its automatic CARRY.

Forget CROSSOVER! thats a CARRY
Seriously, some people don't know shit....good post...I'm sure if ball handlers were allowed to do all the carrying and palming of the ball that they can do today, they would be crossing people over also...

And for anybody who doesn't understand progression...Of course the modern era looks better than the old school...where the **** do you think the modern era got its start? It couldn't be that they took and improved upon the foundation that was set for them....youngins... youngins on ish
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #23
Dro
College star

Dro has decent reputationDro has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Be careful with all that logic, you know the feebleminded will neg you for this...
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #24
LoneyROY7
The Babe Ruth of ISH

LoneyROY7 is considered somewhat coolLoneyROY7 is considered somewhat coolLoneyROY7 is considered somewhat cool

The good 'ol 1950's...back when you didn't have to jump to play basketball.
LoneyROY7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #25
Sharmer
Alpha Centauri

Sharmer posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySharmer posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbertnation64
I made a video earlier about a video I uploaded but here's my last one for the day as I just finished uploaded highlights for half of the first 20 NBA Finals.

A lot of these were not on youtube before today, at least not when I searched yesterday. And the ones that were are different. But anyways I hope you guys enjoy!

1947 BAA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxCrtdPNSc

1953 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWSir_hxz4

1954 NBA Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkD4GRGdCZI

1955 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9Pm8fjzdg

1958 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQH6Z5oWugM

1960 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvrCl12-kKo

1961 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MueOKoItAj8

1964 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnqP0iWrU4g

1966 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rphjeVU2Gz4

1967 NBA Finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVKpcKT4Kig

Enjoy guys!!!

Good effort. I need to study the 50s and 60s more.
Sharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #26
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro
Seriously, some people don't know shit....good post...I'm sure if ball handlers were allowed to do all the carrying and palming of the ball that they can do today, they would be crossing people over also...

And for anybody who doesn't understand progression...Of course the modern era looks better than the old school...where the **** do you think the modern era got its start? It couldn't be that they took and improved upon the foundation that was set for them....youngins... youngins on ish

Yup, and accoding to them, what these players did in their era showcases what they'd do in this era as well and constitutes "proof" that they wouldn't make the league.
Yes, I'd totally expect a 40's player to still take set shots if he played today and I'd definitely expect him to be unable to acquire a decent crossover dribble, which is such a hard skill to get that you have even 10 year olds and players from scrub leagues use it.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
jlip
Good college starter

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Yup, and accoding to them, what these players did in their era showcases what they'd do in this era as well and constitutes "proof" that they wouldn't make the league.
Yes, I'd totally expect a 40's player to still take set shots if he played today and I'd definitely expect him to be unable to acquire a decent crossover dribble, which is such a hard skill to get that you have even 10 year olds and players from scrub leagues use it.

I wish I could find the post, but I remember PHILA posting a video of a little boy's team from the 1950's doing various AND1 dribbling "tricks" and antics with basketballs.

Edit: I found the post, but PHILA's youtube page had been terminated. Fortunately I was able to find a video of that youth b-ball team doing those "tricks." They were called the Dover Basketeers .

Last edited by jlip : 03-25-2013 at 11:09 AM.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Dover Basketeers in the 50's NBA = multiple titles...
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Edit: I found the post, but PHILA's youtube page had been terminated. Fortunately I was able to find a video of that youth b-ball team doing those "tricks." They were called the Dover Basketeers .

I have reuploaded again, along with the Cheney Stud Courteers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLH6bau9uo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI7dkiOPEdQ
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
jlip
Good college starter

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILA
I have reuploaded again, along with the Cheney Stud Courteers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLH6bau9uo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI7dkiOPEdQ

So according to the logic on ISH, if NBA players were to do what 8 yr. olds of their same era were doing then that would make them better, more talented players.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: