Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: America is full of materialistic idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajadeed
If your friend is working and buying the shit with his own money that he worked for, then who the **** are you or we to judge him?

More power to him.

Welcome to capitalism.

All people complain. That's human nature. Rich people complain too. Your friend having trouble budgeting is a problem that many people have, including rich people. Welcome to the real world. Leave that idealistic hyperbole out of it and you'll be ok.

It is arguable if it's human nature or not. My main gripe is how materialistic people are equating human value with material things. In this century, it is moreso indoctrination than anything with the idea of "consumerism."

Some people buy a certain car because they feel "manlier" or more confident if they own one because they have been lead to this idea through advertisements and media consumption that driving that car is what a "real" man does; I mean back in the early 50s, Marlboro used to correlate cigs with women's independence by having a bunch of women smoke a cig and then drop their hair with the words "freedom" spawn across the screen, so what happens, now women's liberty is equated to the idea of smoking a cig.

I think this mentality is sick and disgusting because who you are shouldn't be based on what you have; I can care less if some dipsh*t drives a mustang; it doesn't make him "more confident and manlier" to me (although he might think so): he's just another dipsh*t in a red mustang.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
hateraid
Is it in you?

You seem to get worked up over such little things.

Broke kids buying stupid shit because they want it? Nothing new here. It's just kids being kids. Does it affect you and your way of life? If not, let the kids be.
EVERYBODY has splurge on something even though they couldn't afford it or has purchased something because pop culture tells us to. The extra shoe lace hole for this kid may not be important to you, but to your friend it's something special. So what, let him haved his moment.
Do you own an iphone? A Honda Civic? Bought a team Jersey? Spent $200 on a concert ticket? Have an item which even though lesser brands perform the same function, purchased the popular brand? To other people you may seem materialistic

My theory in life is if you worry what other people are doing you not enjoying your own life.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbp1aya
If you think America is bad... go to Asian countries/hang out with Asian people.

My girl's family and family friends are some of the most materialistic a-holes I've ever seen. The mom steals money from her daughters. The grandma and family back in the motherland (lol) constantly ask for money even though they're clearly not in any financial hardship. What's more, they spend thousands on lavish graduation parties when it's CLEAR that they can't intelligently afford half of it.

My income is less than half of her parents' income and I have more savings than they do (I'm 26 and live on my own ).

In Asian culture, spending money like an insecure, materialistic dumbass is called "showing face"

YES YES

I've heard SE Asia has the Biggest culprits. I'm sure jizzo or josh know the deal

Saudi Arabia is also worse
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

To the OP it's a part of the economic cycle. We must spend in order for economic growth to occur and if you don't spend the opposite will occur(Of course there's investments and what not but lets forget about that). So therefore if people don't spend like materialistic idiots and buy shit they don't need it will have a direct impact on the economy. Our economic system is truly ****ed up if you think about it.

BTW, i'm in no ways supporting materialistic idiots(im the opposite) and I'm practically a medieval jew with my money.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #35
keepinitreal
Great young streetballer

Never confuse income with wealth.

Without wealth, your income depends on having a job (with some exceptions).
keepinitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #36
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitreal
Never confuse income with wealth.

Without wealth, your income depends on having a job (with some exceptions).

What I realize when I first read "rich dad, poor dad" was the entire book center around one premise,"The poor spend their money on luxuries, the rich spend their money on investments and assets." I believe consumerism is the sole reason why the poor keep on getting poorer and the rich keep on getting richer.

The idea is if you spend all your money (including money you don't have by taking out loans and credit cards) on stupid bullsh*t like 2 extra shoe lace holes in your shoes, you won't have money to invest. You can't move up in society if you are living paycheck to paycheck (yes including those who make $60,000 or more): I know a few people who make that much money and they end up spending 2x more than they make.

And the only reason why they do it is to impress other people, which is so lame. How pathetic do you have to be to front a nice car or house to try to gain some respect? Nobody really gives a sh*t about that to be honest; because what happens when someone sees a show off? They either get jealous or they hate the person which beats the whole purpose of showing off in the first place.

If you want to impress someone, learn to have a personality for starters; accomplish something in your life through hard work that would constitute as "talent;" or better yet *gasp* be a respectable human being who people can view as having integrity and a bit of compassion. Have a sense of humor; that's also a great trait that will impress the ladies more than having a few more horse power in your car.

My point is, we're so obsessed with materialism we are forgetting the little things that makes each and everyone of us special as individuals; we don't need to keep up with the jonses to impress other people. F*ck them if they can't like us for who we are.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

I can't believe some cry baby negged me for this thread:

"everybody is stupid except you!"

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or an insult, but if it's an insult, seriously, go cry to mommy; this is a beautiful thread with a deep meaning behind it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #38
millwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
it's not just america...

This, I'm born and raised in Sweden and I've been in the US for longer periods and you guys are no different compared to the average swede.

In fact, I've been in alot of countries and I've seen the same pattern everywhere I've been, it's not just the US.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
bbp1aya
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
What I realize when I first read "rich dad, poor dad" was the entire book center around one premise,"The poor spend their money on luxuries, the rich spend their money on investments and assets." I believe consumerism is the sole reason why the poor keep on getting poorer and the rich keep on getting richer.

The idea is if you spend all your money (including money you don't have by taking out loans and credit cards) on stupid bullsh*t like 2 extra shoe lace holes in your shoes, you won't have money to invest. You can't move up in society if you are living paycheck to paycheck (yes including those who make $60,000 or more): I know a few people who make that much money and they end up spending 2x more than they make.

And the only reason why they do it is to impress other people, which is so lame. How pathetic do you have to be to front a nice car or house to try to gain some respect? Nobody really gives a sh*t about that to be honest; because what happens when someone sees a show off? They either get jealous or they hate the person which beats the whole purpose of showing off in the first place.

If you want to impress someone, learn to have a personality for starters; accomplish something in your life through hard work that would constitute as "talent;" or better yet *gasp* be a respectable human being who people can view as having integrity and a bit of compassion. Have a sense of humor; that's also a great trait that will impress the ladies more than having a few more horse power in your car.

My point is, we're so obsessed with materialism we are forgetting the little things that makes each and everyone of us special as individuals; we don't need to keep up with the jonses to impress other people. F*ck them if they can't like us for who we are.

I say think about it this way: You have the mindset of a 1%er. Let all those other dudes be 99%. Less competition for you.

Great book BTW.
bbp1aya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
lefthook00
College star

It's equal or worse in other countries. Actually, I can't think of even one place on Earth where the situation is better besides the country of Bhutan. That is the only country I know of that is more concerned about the happiness of their people than GDP.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbp1aya
I say think about it this way: You have the mindset of a 1%er. Let all those other dudes be 99%. Less competition for you.

Great book BTW.

I agree.

Great book. I'm starting to learn how to think like a rich person; all these years of blowing money on stupid bullsh*t like name brand clothes, cars, girls, parties, etc. have only resulted in one thing: making me broke. It is all about saving and investing from here on out.

Rich dad poor dad. I highly recommend this book.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #42
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
It's equal or worse in other countries. Actually, I can't think of even one place on Earth where the situation is better besides the country of Bhutan. That is the only country I know of that is more concerned about the happiness of their people than GDP.

There is a reason why poor countries have such a horrible poor mentality: the rich wants them to be poor, in fact, they even covertly integrate it in their educational system to make them think like a poor person. The higher division in wealth, the more likely the nation will be materialistic. Look at 3rd world countries and see how obsessive the poor is; some are willing to give up their entire livelihood, body, and soul just to drive a nice car and wear name brand clothes (mail order brides).
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #43
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
I can't believe some cry baby negged me for this thread:

"everybody is stupid except you!"

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or an insult, but if it's an insult, seriously, go cry to mommy; this is a beautiful thread with a deep meaning behind it.

That wasn't me who negged you, but beautiful thread with deep meaning? You post like some little kid who is just discovering many things in life.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #44
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
That wasn't me who negged you, but beautiful thread with deep meaning? You post like some little kid who is just discovering many things in life.

At least I'm discovering homeboy.

I might not be as complex as you, but I do take pride in learning and having an open mind.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #45
d.bball.guy
Heat fan since 2014

America needs more smart people to click ads.
d.bball.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: