Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #46
Bandito
NBA Superstar

Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: America is full of materialistic idiots

Two extra holes...for laces...
Bandito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #47
Jello
Hume>Kunt.

Jello is starting to rub some people the wrong wayJello is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
I can't believe some cry baby negged me for this thread:

"everybody is stupid except you!"

I'm not sure if that is a compliment or an insult, but if it's an insult, seriously, go cry to mommy; this is a beautiful thread with a deep meaning behind it.
IamRambo getting emotional.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #48
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

What's wrong with being materialistic? To be materialistic simply means you want new things to help improve your life. Those things might not be NEEDS, but who cares? Do we really need toilet paper? Do kids really need toy cars? No.. but those things make life that much sweeter. I'd rather be in a materialistic society than a third-world society.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #49
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

To be materialistic doesn't make your life lack meaning, or purpose, or spirit. You can still enjoy love, friendship, and social bonding while being materialistic. Owning nice things doesn't take your humanity from you.

And in my experience, the people who claim to be anti-materialism are usually just as materialistic as anyone else. It sounds nice to bash consumerism, but are you really going to shun cell phones, tv's, video games, laptops, cars, new silverware, new carpeting, new toilet seats, etc etc etc? I don't see the problem in enjoying those things, even being passionate about enjoying those things. It's amazing that we live in the rare human civilization that has been able to enjoy those things in such abundance. Count your blessings.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #50
IamRAMBO24
College superstar

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
To be materialistic doesn't make your life lack meaning, or purpose, or spirit. You can still enjoy love, friendship, and social bonding while being materialistic. Owning nice things doesn't take your humanity from you.

And in my experience, the people who claim to be anti-materialism are usually just as materialistic as anyone else. It sounds nice to bash consumerism, but are you really going to shun cell phones, tv's, video games, laptops, cars, new silverware, new carpeting, new toilet seats, etc etc etc? I don't see the problem in enjoying those things, even being passionate about enjoying those things. It's amazing that we live in the rare human civilization that has been able to enjoy those things in such abundance. Count your blessings.

Um watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECi6WJpbzE

That's why materialism is so f*cked up.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #51
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
What's wrong with being materialistic? To be materialistic simply means you want new things to help improve your life. Those things might not be NEEDS, but who cares? Do we really need toilet paper? Do kids really need toy cars? No.. but those things make life that much sweeter. I'd rather be in a materialistic society than a third-world society.

Great post, joe.

Most of the people who have their sh!t together and like the finer thing sin life (those that I know of)
have their
Friendships and Relationships
Hobbies
Life Purpose/Education
Character/Identity/Self-Actualization
Religious/Spiritual
Fitness
Entertainment
Travel
Sexual Needs
Rites of Passage (Diploma, Conquering Fears, all that important schtuff needed to become a man)
type stuff down way before they start to go bonkers on the cars the clothes the special shoerheads with the led lights or that awesome ergonomic chair

It is not bad when it is an addition to your foundation of life. Like ornaments on a strong, sturdy Christmas Tree.

It is a problem when it replaces issues that need to be dealt with. Spontaneous shopping sprees to relieve stress from financial suffering beign one of them.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Money are underrated.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #53
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
At least I'm discovering homeboy.

I might not be as complex as you, but I do take pride in learning and having an open mind.

Learning is great, but I'm not sure how open-minded you really are. Too much confirmation bias.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: