Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Default Re: Teach an old schooler about "Jorts"

Cargo shorts are considered 'lame' by some of you?

What the shit am I supposed to wear then?

I live in L.A. and it gets hot and humid.

Basketball shorts don't protect my wallet, phone and other shit like cargo shorts do. I need help non-lame people.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
in fact all the road workers and lawn workers wear jeans and long sleaves during the summer because it traps your sweat in making it cooler...

umm no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
My understanding was always that they wore those outfits to cover their entire body, hence protecting them from the sun, since they're working outside all day every single day, and also to a lesser extent perhaps to prevent injury from debris.

this is correct.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
blablabla

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923

Basketball shorts don't protect my wallet, phone and other shit like cargo shorts do. I need help non-lame people.
How big are your phone and your wallet if they can't fit into normal shorts
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #34
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
umm no.

this is correct.
I could be wrong about that but I can remember being told that when in extreme heat more clothes is actually better...and that soldiers are taught that as well

^^^ which is why you see that...they are actually staying shaded doing that, and trapping in their sweat

granted I am sure they smell like pure death, but that is what I was told
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
I could be wrong about that but I can remember being told that when in extreme heat more clothes is actually better...and that soldiers are taught that as well

^^^ which is why you see that...they are actually staying shaded doing that, and trapping in their sweat

granted I am sure they smell like pure death, but that is what I was told
Not to repeat myself, but I really think trapping sweat is the last thing a person would want to do in order to stay cool. It's the evaporation of sweat that cools the body. As such, as previously mentioned, that's why humid days feel so terrible (because the sweat does not evaporate as quickly due to their being so much moisture already in the air). As such, to consciously disallow one's sweat to evaporate as a means of keeping cool would be very misguided. When people wear a lot of clothing in very hot regions, the reasons could be religious based or they could simply be effective ways of shielding one's body from relentless UV rays. However, I do not believe adding more clothing to trap sweat in order to cool oneself down would ever make sense.

Moreover, as much as some people are not fans of shorts, I'm betting they may have further disdain for flip-flops and/or sandals. However, much of our own body heat is released through our feet so if staying cool is one's goal, not rocking socks and/or shoes everywhere you go in the summer will help.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-27-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #36
rezznor
Nosetradamus

i'm a grown ass man and i wear shorts when it's hot....
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #37
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
How big are your phone and your wallet if they can't fit into normal shorts

What do you mean by 'normal' shorts? What kind?

It isn't that they don't fit. The problem is that if you wear basketball shorts, the pockets aren't secure enough so shit falls out. Cargo shorts simply provide a more secure pocket system. They're also versatile, you can wear them dressed really down, or semi casual, can't do that with basketball shorts. And jorts are just tacky.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

here you go rake/kent

How wearing more can cool you off

Quote:
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Many people wear less clothing to stay cool in the summer heat, but for centuries people in another part of the world have actually worn several layers of clothing and stayed cool.

In the deserts of the Middle East, Bedouins and Arabs wear robes of many layers from head to toe -- even on the hottest days.

"When I wear these things, I don't feel hot," says Wafa Haddad of the TigerLily Arabic Language Academy in Grand Rapids. "They don't add heat. They will help you absorb all the sweat, and you will protect yourself from the sun."

Haddad is from Lebanon, where temperatures often hit 100 degrees or more.

Over thousands of years, people in the Middle East developed sub-blocking garments that allow perspiration and skin-cooling evaporation to maximize the body's natural air conditioning.

not that I am suggesting that people in Florida should dress like that
Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
blablabla

Quote:
What do you mean by 'normal' shorts? What kind?
Chino Shorts with pockets and everything
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
here you go rake/kent

How wearing more can cool you off

not that I am suggesting that people in Florida should dress like that
I think we're on different wavelengths here. I'm talking about the scientific nature of sweating and what it does. You have stated that trapping in one's sweat would help a person stay cool. I'm saying that's the complete opposite of what would work. The primary reason behind the clothing in that channel 13 news report is to block the sun because they live in an extreme, constant beating sun, desert environment, hence:
Quote:
Over thousands of years, people in the Middle East developed sub-blocking garments that allow perspiration and skin-cooling evaporation to maximize the body's natural air conditioning.

"I am cool because the material is protecting me from the heat," says Haddad. "When you take off clothes, the sun is attacking the skin."
What they had to do though, was find a material that would protect them from sun damage while also successfully wicking out the sweat and bringing it away from the body, which they've done (like Nike Dri Fit). They do not help the body re-absorb your own sweat.

It would be wise for someone to develop clothing that can help encourage evaporation despite such full coverage. That's what we've seen here. In contrast, by no means do workers wear jeans so they can trap all the sweat within their own bodies. That's just a case of them picking the lesser of two evils (sun protection/work safety vs. being hot).

Here are the basic mechanics behind perspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #41
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
Chino Shorts with pockets and everything

I own a pair of those, but its hard to find a pair I really like.

They're either very dorky looking, too thin, too high. If you want some that are a bit loose you have to buy them big, then I look like a 14 year old.

And those pockets are usually sucky. If you sit down then stand up, half of your shit inside falls out.

If it was up to me I'd wear nothing but basketball shorts, but I'd be underdressed and have my shit falling out all the time.

Last edited by andgar923 : 03-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #42
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I think we're on different wavelengths here. I'm talking about the scientific nature of sweating and what it does. You have stated that trapping in one's sweat would help a person stay cool. I'm saying that's the complete opposite of what would work. The reason behind the clothing in that channel 13 news report is primarily to block the sun. What they had to do though, was find a material that would successfully wick out the sweat and bring it away from the body, which they've done (like Nike Dri Fit). They do not help the body re-absorb your own sweat.

Here are the basic mechanics behind perspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration
no, they DO do it to trap in sweat...they clearly state that repeatedly

if you were trapped out in the dessert, you would NOT want your sweat to evaporate...that would dehydrate you, make you hotter...you would want to cover yourself up.

I understand how sweat evaporating on your skin feels cool...but it doesn't actually keep your body cooler

again, this would only matter to those spending long amounts of time out in extreme heat...like yard workers and such, those guys are staying cool by being drenched in sweat, I promise you...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #43
9erempiree
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I can't believe people on here are talking about whether it's right to wear shorts or not.

I thought shorts are ok.
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
Patrick Chewing
GO NY GO NY GO!

Quote:

Don't even pay attention to these monkeys. They are probably the skinny jean wearing type. They rather squeeze their balls so hard rather than be comfortable on an 85-degree day.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
no, they DO do it to trap in sweat...they clearly state that repeatedly

if you were trapped out in the dessert, you would NOT want your sweat to evaporate...that would dehydrate you, make you hotter...you would want to cover yourself up.

I understand how sweat evaporating on your skin feels cool...but it doesn't actually keep your body cooler

again, this would only matter to those spending long amounts of time out in extreme heat...like yard workers and such, those guys are staying cool by being drenched in sweat, I promise you...
Yeah, she mentions absorbing sweat and I just think she's misinterpreting what those clothes are actually doing for her. In fact, those clothes are allowing sweat to better evaporate than if she were wearing, say, a parka. If there was no fear of sunburn or sun poisoning and there were no religious standards stating one must wear certain outfits, folks would choose less over more every day if they were just looking to stay cool.

If you were trapped in a desert, you're kind of in trouble one way or another. Dehydration is going to be an issue regardless. And if you're rocking a parka and snowpants, thus making it nearly impossible for any heat and sweat to escape your body, you will die of heat exhaustion.

Again, here's another passage explaining sweat and what occurs when it is not able to be properly evaporated (again, the point of your body sweating is so the liquid can be turned into vapor, which serves as a cooling device):

Quote:
This explains why it feels so much hotter in high humidity. When relative humidity reaches a high enough level, the body’s natural cooling system simply can’t work. Sweat evaporates very slowly, if at all, and the body heats up. In extreme cases, people begin to suffer from heat cramps or heat stroke, which is basically organ failure as the body begins to cook itself.

A metric called the heat index provides warnings for weather conditions that will make heat stroke more likely. For instance, the body experiences 88-degree (Fahrenheit) weather with 85 percent humidity as if it were 110 degrees. Working outside, even in the shade, is dangerous in these conditions. At 40 percent humidity or lower, however, 88 degrees feels like 88 degrees, and gardening is once again a perfectly safe activity.

To help athletes and laborers stay cool in extremely hot and humid conditions, engineers have developed special clothing that wicks moisture away from the skin. Wearing these fabrics “is like standing in a wind tunnel,” says Christie. The clothing pulls sweat off the skin through tiny channels in the fabric and deposits it on the outside of the fabric where it evaporates. Fabrics that do not wick moisture away from the skin, such as cotton, simply soak up the moisture and retain it—leaving you feeling soggy and hot.
http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...-high-humidity
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: