Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
blablabla

Default Re: Teach an old schooler about "Jorts"

All shorts that go below the knee look terrible.
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #32
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Hmm, to each their own, I suppose. Personally, after a long summer's day work, even if I work indoors, I cannot wait to change into something with breathability once I get home. Perhaps that also has to do with the fact I do not have air conditioning in my house, though I find myself doing the same even when in an AC environment.

Still, only speaking for myself, I cannot imagine watching the news on a Saturday morning, seeing it's going to be 97 degrees that day, then consciously opting to put on a pair of jeans or pants for a my trip out to the grocery or otherwise.

Also, before you brought it up, I'd never heard that road and lawn workers wore jeans and long sleeves because it kept them cooler. My understanding was always that they wore those outfits to cover their entire body, hence protecting them from the sun, since they're working outside all day every single day, and also to a lesser extent perhaps to prevent injury from debris.

And just a theory, but I've heard stripping when extremely cold is a sign of hypothermia - perhaps it's the same for those suffering from heat stroke or heat exhaustion, which may be why soldiers are told to keep their clothes on (sounds iffy though). Maybe it once again has to do with exposing their skin to the sun for long and dangerous periods of time. I just feel like trapping sweat is the last thing one would want to do. If sweat is just lingering and not evaporating, I feel as though your body would have a more difficult time cooling itself, which is why humid days are so miserable.
I think the older you get, the less you wear shorts...your clothes shopping starts to revolve around work more than anything else...and then when taking the wife out to eat or something you can't wear shorts....outdoor activities become less and less.

When your a kid you can wear shorts all day every day, not so much when your a working adult.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #33
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
And Hawaii I guess

Yeah I found shorts were needed in Maui, in fact we did an island hop when I was there and we up on the mountain before we went to the airport so I had jeans on at the airport because it was cold on the mountain and they gave me a patdown like I super suspicious since I was the only person in the airport with pants on.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #34
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I think the older you get, the less you wear shorts...your clothes shopping starts to revolve around work more than anything else...and then when taking the wife out to eat or something you can't wear shorts....outdoor activities become less and less.

When your a kid you can wear shorts all day every day, not so much when your a working adult.
We may just have to agree to disagree on this one. Well, maybe not disagree, but maybe just understand that everyone's different I guess. I'm not sure how old you mean when you say "the older you get" but as a 29 year old I still have both work clothes and non-work clothes. I'm not really sure how much that's going to change over time. I shop for affordable dress shirts, slacks, shoes, but I also shop for affordable non-work wear (shorts, jeans, t-shirts, etc.).

I'm also not sure how much my outdoor activities will lessen over the years. I mean, I can see it lessening, but not to the point where I'd be able to just forget about owning clothing for those situations. I exercise on a regular basis, play basketball, enjoy hiking and biking, going to the beach or just flat out being outside doing nothing in particular. I'm not big on coming home and sitting inside all day everyday. I like being inside, but not all the time, even in the event of being married with kids. Even with girlfriends, a lot of the things we do take place outdoors. For instance, we're both not likely to go get ice cream and walk around the city on a hot summer weekend day in our work clothes.

I understand my father is just one example, but he's an example nonetheless. He was a professional for over 30 years - wearing suits to work everyday and all of that good stuff. But he still owned and wore casual clothing anytime he was out of work, including shorts. I can't say everyone must adhere to those clothing standards, but I do not think it's some kind of certainty that all folks stop going outside and only buy dress clothes as they become an adult.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #35
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

You sound like a very outdoorsy person, which is awesome...I work come home at 7:00, eat dinner and that is that...if I have time ill work out some, but that comes and goes in phases for me.

Taking the woman out at night requires looking decent...we don't play vollyball together or anything. I kind of got to a point where I said who needs em, too much trouble changing clothes multiple times a day.

Again I have a son now though, when he gets older I'm sure my weekends will be spent in shorts...so ill be more like you then I bet.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Cargo shorts are considered 'lame' by some of you?

What the shit am I supposed to wear then?

I live in L.A. and it gets hot and humid.

Basketball shorts don't protect my wallet, phone and other shit like cargo shorts do. I need help non-lame people.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
in fact all the road workers and lawn workers wear jeans and long sleaves during the summer because it traps your sweat in making it cooler...

umm no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
My understanding was always that they wore those outfits to cover their entire body, hence protecting them from the sun, since they're working outside all day every single day, and also to a lesser extent perhaps to prevent injury from debris.

this is correct.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #38
blablabla

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Cargo shorts are considered 'lame' by some of you?

What the shit am I supposed to wear then?

I live in L.A. and it gets hot and humid.

Basketball shorts don't protect my wallet, phone and other shit like cargo shorts do. I need help non-lame people.
How big are your phone and your wallet if they can't fit into normal shorts
Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
umm no.

this is correct.
I could be wrong about that but I can remember being told that when in extreme heat more clothes is actually better...and that soldiers are taught that as well

^^^ which is why you see that...they are actually staying shaded doing that, and trapping in their sweat

granted I am sure they smell like pure death, but that is what I was told
Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I could be wrong about that but I can remember being told that when in extreme heat more clothes is actually better...and that soldiers are taught that as well

^^^ which is why you see that...they are actually staying shaded doing that, and trapping in their sweat

granted I am sure they smell like pure death, but that is what I was told
Not to repeat myself, but I really think trapping sweat is the last thing a person would want to do in order to stay cool. It's the evaporation of sweat that cools the body. As such, as previously mentioned, that's why humid days feel so terrible (because the sweat does not evaporate as quickly due to their being so much moisture already in the air). As such, to consciously disallow one's sweat to evaporate as a means of keeping cool would be very misguided. When people wear a lot of clothing in very hot regions, the reasons could be religious based or they could simply be effective ways of shielding one's body from relentless UV rays. However, I do not believe adding more clothing to trap sweat in order to cool oneself down would ever make sense.

Moreover, as much as some people are not fans of shorts, I'm betting they may have further disdain for flip-flops and/or sandals. However, much of our own body heat is released through our feet so if staying cool is one's goal, not rocking socks and/or shoes everywhere you go in the summer will help.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-27-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
rezznor
Nosetradamus

i'm a grown ass man and i wear shorts when it's hot....
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #42
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
How big are your phone and your wallet if they can't fit into normal shorts

What do you mean by 'normal' shorts? What kind?

It isn't that they don't fit. The problem is that if you wear basketball shorts, the pockets aren't secure enough so shit falls out. Cargo shorts simply provide a more secure pocket system. They're also versatile, you can wear them dressed really down, or semi casual, can't do that with basketball shorts. And jorts are just tacky.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #43
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

here you go rake/kent

How wearing more can cool you off

Quote:
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Many people wear less clothing to stay cool in the summer heat, but for centuries people in another part of the world have actually worn several layers of clothing and stayed cool.

In the deserts of the Middle East, Bedouins and Arabs wear robes of many layers from head to toe -- even on the hottest days.

"When I wear these things, I don't feel hot," says Wafa Haddad of the TigerLily Arabic Language Academy in Grand Rapids. "They don't add heat. They will help you absorb all the sweat, and you will protect yourself from the sun."

Haddad is from Lebanon, where temperatures often hit 100 degrees or more.

Over thousands of years, people in the Middle East developed sub-blocking garments that allow perspiration and skin-cooling evaporation to maximize the body's natural air conditioning.

not that I am suggesting that people in Florida should dress like that
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #44
blablabla

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
What do you mean by 'normal' shorts? What kind?
Chino Shorts with pockets and everything
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #45
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
here you go rake/kent

How wearing more can cool you off

not that I am suggesting that people in Florida should dress like that
I think we're on different wavelengths here. I'm talking about the scientific nature of sweating and what it does. You have stated that trapping in one's sweat would help a person stay cool. I'm saying that's the complete opposite of what would work. The primary reason behind the clothing in that channel 13 news report is to block the sun because they live in an extreme, constant beating sun, desert environment, hence:
Quote:
Over thousands of years, people in the Middle East developed sub-blocking garments that allow perspiration and skin-cooling evaporation to maximize the body's natural air conditioning.

"I am cool because the material is protecting me from the heat," says Haddad. "When you take off clothes, the sun is attacking the skin."
What they had to do though, was find a material that would protect them from sun damage while also successfully wicking out the sweat and bringing it away from the body, which they've done (like Nike Dri Fit). They do not help the body re-absorb your own sweat.

It would be wise for someone to develop clothing that can help encourage evaporation despite such full coverage. That's what we've seen here. In contrast, by no means do workers wear jeans so they can trap all the sweat within their own bodies. That's just a case of them picking the lesser of two evils (sun protection/work safety vs. being hot).

Here are the basic mechanics behind perspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-27-2013 at 02:14 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: