Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #46
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Default Re: Teach an old schooler about "Jorts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablabla
Chino Shorts with pockets and everything

I own a pair of those, but its hard to find a pair I really like.

They're either very dorky looking, too thin, too high. If you want some that are a bit loose you have to buy them big, then I look like a 14 year old.

And those pockets are usually sucky. If you sit down then stand up, half of your shit inside falls out.

If it was up to me I'd wear nothing but basketball shorts, but I'd be underdressed and have my shit falling out all the time.

Last edited by andgar923 : 03-27-2013 at 02:13 PM.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I think we're on different wavelengths here. I'm talking about the scientific nature of sweating and what it does. You have stated that trapping in one's sweat would help a person stay cool. I'm saying that's the complete opposite of what would work. The reason behind the clothing in that channel 13 news report is primarily to block the sun. What they had to do though, was find a material that would successfully wick out the sweat and bring it away from the body, which they've done (like Nike Dri Fit). They do not help the body re-absorb your own sweat.

Here are the basic mechanics behind perspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration
no, they DO do it to trap in sweat...they clearly state that repeatedly

if you were trapped out in the dessert, you would NOT want your sweat to evaporate...that would dehydrate you, make you hotter...you would want to cover yourself up.

I understand how sweat evaporating on your skin feels cool...but it doesn't actually keep your body cooler

again, this would only matter to those spending long amounts of time out in extreme heat...like yard workers and such, those guys are staying cool by being drenched in sweat, I promise you...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #48
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

I can't believe people on here are talking about whether it's right to wear shorts or not.

I thought shorts are ok.
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #49
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Cargo shorts are considered 'lame' by some of you?

What the shit am I supposed to wear then?

I live in L.A. and it gets hot and humid.

Basketball shorts don't protect my wallet, phone and other shit like cargo shorts do. I need help non-lame people.

You live in LA and the weather is great always
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #50
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Cargo shorts are considered 'lame' by some of you?

What the shit am I supposed to wear then?

I live in L.A. and it gets hot and humid.

Basketball shorts don't protect my wallet, phone and other shit like cargo shorts do. I need help non-lame people.

Don't even pay attention to these monkeys. They are probably the skinny jean wearing type. They rather squeeze their balls so hard rather than be comfortable on an 85-degree day.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #51
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
no, they DO do it to trap in sweat...they clearly state that repeatedly

if you were trapped out in the dessert, you would NOT want your sweat to evaporate...that would dehydrate you, make you hotter...you would want to cover yourself up.

I understand how sweat evaporating on your skin feels cool...but it doesn't actually keep your body cooler

again, this would only matter to those spending long amounts of time out in extreme heat...like yard workers and such, those guys are staying cool by being drenched in sweat, I promise you...
Yeah, she mentions absorbing sweat and I just think she's misinterpreting what those clothes are actually doing for her. In fact, those clothes are allowing sweat to better evaporate than if she were wearing, say, a parka. If there was no fear of sunburn or sun poisoning and there were no religious standards stating one must wear certain outfits, folks would choose less over more every day if they were just looking to stay cool.

If you were trapped in a desert, you're kind of in trouble one way or another. Dehydration is going to be an issue regardless. And if you're rocking a parka and snowpants, thus making it nearly impossible for any heat and sweat to escape your body, you will die of heat exhaustion.

Again, here's another passage explaining sweat and what occurs when it is not able to be properly evaporated (again, the point of your body sweating is so the liquid can be turned into vapor, which serves as a cooling device):

Quote:
This explains why it feels so much hotter in high humidity. When relative humidity reaches a high enough level, the body’s natural cooling system simply can’t work. Sweat evaporates very slowly, if at all, and the body heats up. In extreme cases, people begin to suffer from heat cramps or heat stroke, which is basically organ failure as the body begins to cook itself.

A metric called the heat index provides warnings for weather conditions that will make heat stroke more likely. For instance, the body experiences 88-degree (Fahrenheit) weather with 85 percent humidity as if it were 110 degrees. Working outside, even in the shade, is dangerous in these conditions. At 40 percent humidity or lower, however, 88 degrees feels like 88 degrees, and gardening is once again a perfectly safe activity.

To help athletes and laborers stay cool in extremely hot and humid conditions, engineers have developed special clothing that wicks moisture away from the skin. Wearing these fabrics “is like standing in a wind tunnel,” says Christie. The clothing pulls sweat off the skin through tiny channels in the fabric and deposits it on the outside of the fabric where it evaporates. Fabrics that do not wick moisture away from the skin, such as cotton, simply soak up the moisture and retain it—leaving you feeling soggy and hot.
http://engineering.mit.edu/live/news...-high-humidity
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #52
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

I remember 4th of July last year. Went to a party on a rooftop in DC to watch fireworks. For some reason we went up in the middle of the afternoon. Me and some black dude were the only ones wearing pants. We caught each others gaze, looked around at everyone else and shook our heads. We fvcked every girl there.
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #53
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

humid weather is probably a different situation than an arid desert...idk

I'm sure they want some evaporation, but then again I am reading they wear multiple layers to stay cooler...

really this debate is pretty far off topic of "jorts" ...doesn't matter to anyone here

I was just stating what I remember being told, that's all...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #54
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
humid weather is probably a different situation than an arid desert...idk

I'm sure they want some evaporation, but then again I am reading they wear multiple layers to stay cooler...

really this debate is pretty far off topic of "jorts" ...doesn't matter to anyone here

I was just stating what I remember being told, that's all...
Yeah it's cool. I was just trying to explain how sweating works. Whether it be humid, arid, or whatever else, the body cools itself by having that sweat evaporated. If the process of evaporation is made more difficult, the body will struggle to cool itself. And a few things that will make evaporation more difficult include thick clothing that does not allow one's body to breathe and/or an environment that's already so full of moisture (aka humidity) that there's not a lot of room for the sweat on your skin to evaporate into the moist air.

In either instance, that will only lead to a greater body temperature and pose significant health risks. Keeping one's sweat on their own body (aka preventing it from evaporating) will not prevent dehydration. Again, it will only make someone hotter.

I think this all sort of ties in to this topic because there was a sentiment suggesting that wearing more may actually keep someone cooler than wearing less (aka shorts). I am disputing that claim in many instances. I believe people wear more in severe situations when they must protect themselves from the sun (or due to the manner of their work) but not to cool themselves down. What the folks in the desert did was create a best case scenario for themselves by protecting against sun damage while also allowing for adequate ventilation and evaporation.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #55
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
I own a pair of those, but its hard to find a pair I really like.

They're either very dorky looking, too thin, too high. If you want some that are a bit loose you have to buy them big, then I look like a 14 year old.

And those pockets are usually sucky. If you sit down then stand up, half of your shit inside falls out.

If it was up to me I'd wear nothing but basketball shorts, but I'd be underdressed and have my shit falling out all the time.
Same. Chino shorts never fit me right (6'5" 220) they're always so tight around the ass and thighs, or too baggy if I get a bigger size. Plus they never go down far enough to atleast the top of my kneecap.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #56
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Yeah it's cool. I was just trying to explain how sweating works. Whether it be humid, arid, or whatever else, the body cools itself by having that sweat evaporated. If the process of evaporation is made more difficult, the body will struggle to cool itself. And a few things that will make evaporation more difficult include thick clothing that does not allow one's body to breathe and/or an environment that's already so full of moisture (aka humidity) that there's not a lot of room for the sweat on your skin to evaporate into the moist air.

In either instance, that will only lead to a greater body temperature and pose significant health risks. Keeping one's sweat on their own body (aka preventing it from evaporating) will not prevent dehydration. Again, it will only make someone hotter.

I think this all sort of ties in to this topic because there was a sentiment suggesting that wearing more may actually keep someone cooler than wearing less (aka shorts). I am disputing that claim in many instances. I believe people wear more in severe situations when they must protect themselves from the sun (or due to the manner of their work) but not to cool themselves down. What the folks in the desert did was create a best case scenario for themselves by protecting against sun damage while also allowing for adequate ventilation and evaporation.
yeah it is always severe situations...

http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-279330.html

^^^ rake that is good read on this subject by lawn workers in Florida

OP:

Quote:
Working outdoors in Florida for the last 14 years in a sleeveless shirt, I read somewhere that a longsleeve shirt would keep me cooler. Before I order new shirts, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. Sleeveless or longsleeves

some of the responses:

Quote:
I'm in florida with you and I can tell you I wear only long sleeve shirts. When your skin gets burned it loses it's ability to cool itself off. Not to mention skin cancer. I'm sure a lot of guys will say short sleeves but this is just my opinion

Quote:
I know I need to switch to long sleeves some day... I'm 30 now, and my arms and hands are starting to look 40+. A couple years ago I made the switch to jeans only, no more shorts, and I've survived. Actually on the really hot sunny days I think it's BETTER than having the sun beating on my skin. Plus the chiggers and grass/weeds the trimmer throws on me dosn't bother me with long pants on. The next step is the sleeves. I think I'm probably too late to thwart skin cancer, but anything is better than nothing.

I also wear a wide brimmed hat.

Quote:
I started wearing long sleeved under armor (black) 1 1/2 years ago and you will never see me without it again. Keeps you cooler for sure.

James

etc

etc

I don't think they ever talk about sweat trapping be better, but it pretty clear that these guys learn quick that they can stay cooler by wearing more clothing.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #57
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
yeah it is always severe situations...

http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-279330.html

^^^ rake that is good read on this subject by lawn workers in Florida

OP:

some of the responses:

etc

etc

I don't think they ever talk about sweat trapping be better, but it pretty clear that these guys learn quick that they can stay cooler by wearing more clothing.
Not to be difficult, but again, there's a big difference between wearing long sleeves for skin protection and wearing them to become cooler. That message board link is from a lawn care website where again, the biggest concern is protection from the sun. Their job is to be outside the entire day and as a result, such constant exposure to the sun would do terrible and painful damage to their skin. And yes, in that case, burned skin would in fact raise someone's body temperature, but fighting sun burn is different from the entire premise of sweating.

As such, they must cover up to protect their skin. From there, much of the thread seems to be discussing dri-fit materials that will allow them to cover their bodies while still allowing for a satisfactory amount sweat evaporation. Dri-fit attempts to lift sweat and push it to the outside, allowing it to make contact with the air and evaporate, thus cooling their body. Again, if sunburn were not an issue (aka if they were not spending 8 hours a day under the baking sun), and they didn't have to worry about sustaining injury from their job, I would trust that most of them would opt for more clothes.

I guess a good example would be a sauna, where there is no fear of skin damage via sun. If the goal were to stay as cool as possible in a sauna, do you believe folks would opt for more clothing, or less? Do you think you'd be healthier in a sauna wearing a towel? Or wearing jeans and a sweatshirt?

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-27-2013 at 03:38 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: